PDA

View Full Version : ..... misused term in firearms ?

Sprue
02-21-2010, 04:33 PM
"Clip" One of the most misused terms in firearms? I prefer to say Magazine myself but I often hear them called clips on the Wednesday night TV lineup.

Yes that would be magazine. As in one of those detachable thingys

See Post 61 for a followup

AriM
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
the proper name for what>? the tubular device that goes into the receiver? or the device used to load the tube? I think the question is a bit vague.....

454PB
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm assuming "Magaine" was supposed to be "magazine"?

My pet peeve is TV and movies calling any handgun a "pistol", and semi-autos "automatics".

Hickory
02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
How about this one;
"repackin' bullets"
I hear this a lot where i live.

swheeler
02-21-2010, 04:53 PM
"Clip" One of the most misused terms in firearms? I prefer to say Magazine myself but I often hear them called clips on the Wednesday night TV lineup.

Yes that would be magazine. As in one of those detachable thingys
A clip is just that, as in the clip used in the M1 garand, Italian carcano, gew 88 or stripper clips used to charge the magazine of your Ak or 98 mauser. Now a detachable magazine as used in your 1911 colt is often referred to as a clip, but why sweat the small things, lifes to short, why worry be happy.

Adam10mm
02-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Magazines have a spring and a follower.

Clips do not.

Revolvers have clips as does the Garand.

Stripper clip is a proper name. They are used to charge magazines.

Clips are not magazines. Magazines are not clips.

Tom W.
02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
And anyone can reload, but not all people handload....

S.R.Custom
02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
If you tell me you need a clip for your 1911, I know what you mean without thinking about it. But for some reason, when someone says "magazine" I think of this. It just goes to what you grew up with, I guess...

http://www.northamericanforts.com/East/New_Jersey/Sandy_Hook/Hancock_4.jpg

Lead Fred
02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Enbloc clip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_%28ammunition%29

Magazine, Storage for ammunition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_%28firearms%29

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another

Doc Highwall
02-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I learned that a magazine was part of the gun and you loaded either single cartridges into it like a Remington 700 or a tube magazine like a Marlin 39A. And a clip is separate like a 1911 or M14 into a magazine well.

fecmech
02-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't for the life of me understand why people get their panties in a wad over this! As a previous poster mentioned, life is too short .

OutHuntn84
02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Either or It makes no difference to me. I know the difference and that is all that really matters.
Love talking to arm chair warriors that have SKSs and they ask for a clip and I hand em exactly what they asked for. They always have this funny dubm fuzzled look and don't know how to use em.
One of my biggest irritations are when people refer to a semi automatic as an automatic or when people use catch phrases like assault weapon, sniper rifle or high capacity.

RayinNH
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm just tired of the tactical nonsense...Ray

Hip's Ax
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Clips fill magazines, magazines feed firearms.

sturf
02-21-2010, 06:52 PM
What about the medias' favorite: "point blank range". Dosn't mean anything like the idiot news commentators use it.

AriM
02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Either or It makes no difference to me. I know the difference and that is all that really matters.
Love talking to arm chair warriors that have SKSs and they ask for a clip and I hand em exactly what they asked for. They always have this funny dubm fuzzled look and don't know how to use em.
One of my biggest irritations are when people refer to a semi automatic as an automatic or when people use catch phrases like assault weapon, sniper rifle or high capacity.

I agree, but here is an interesting note on that.

45 ACP = AUTOMATIC Colt Pistol

what really bugs me, is that isn't the proper word for 45 auto

the round is called 45 Automatic NOT ACP.

but life is too short, so I have learned to just shrug it off and keep shooting.

If we went over our own mannerisms and speech, we would probably realize that we misuse A LOT of terms. It's humbling.

Still when I label my handloads (not "reloads")....I use the term

45 auto.

for fear that some guy who knows the difference will look at my box someday and say "you know what sonny......."

S.R.Custom
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
What about the medias' favorite: "point blank range". Dosn't mean anything like the idiot news commentators use it.

Yep, that has to be the worst... But I have a rebuttal for it when it pops in conversation...

Ignorant Guy: "...and he shot him at point-blank range!"

Me: "Yeah... but how far away was he?"

Ignorant Guy: *Confused look. *

[Education of Ignorant Guy ensues, delivered with thinly veiled disdain.]

KCSO
02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd say the term Magaine ? As long as the person you are talking to knows what you are talking about why be picky.

felix
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM
"point blank range" is commensurate with "circle of confusion" in lens design. ... felix

montana_charlie
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I can live with the guy who calls a magazine a 'clip'.
But, he starts to tee me off when he says his 'clip' is empty because it 'ran out of bullets'.
CM

Tazman1602
02-21-2010, 07:44 PM
LOL

(For all intents and purposes...) "For all intensive purposes" I thought a "Magaine" was something that made your head hurt??????/

mooman76
02-21-2010, 07:59 PM
No Magaine goes on top of a Lemon pie.

Blacksmith
02-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I guess I will go with the dictionary definition.

According to “The Firearms Dictionary” by R. A. Steindler, Stackpole Books copyright 1970:

“CLIP a detachable sheet metal frame or box containing a spring & a cartridge follower or platform. In many rifles, all semiautomatic pistols & in bolt action shotguns, the clip, sometimes called cartridge clip or magazine (q.v.), serves as ammunition storage area.”

At least I can quote a source.

Blacksmith

deltaenterprizes
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I learned that a magazine was part of the gun and you loaded either single cartridges into it like a Remington 700 or a tube magazine like a Marlin 39A. And a clip is separate like a 1911 or M14 into a magazine well.

If it goes into the "magazine well" it must be a magazine![smilie=l:

GOPHER SLAYER
02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
In TV mysteries how many times do you hear the detective or witness say" I could smell the cordite"? I even heard it when they were talking about a 9MM pistol. I saw Brian Williams talking about it on the Jay Leno show recently. He had just come back from Iraq or Afghanistan and was pulled out of line at the airport. They told him they detected explosives in his luggage. He said a soldier had given him a shoulder patch and it was carrying fumes because it had been on the practice range when they were shooting ammo loaded with cordite. How long has it been since the British used cordite? What irks me more than anything is when the hero or villian looks thru the rifle scope and sees that the person they wish to perforate is not quite centered in the cross hairs, so he reaches up and gives the windage knob a little twist. Miricle of miricles the cross hairs move the target to center stage. Why not just move the rifle? Didn't the expert sight in the weapon before hand? One last gripe, how many times have you heard the 1911 pistol refered to as, gas operated? Sorry to go off on a tare but I just have my wife to complain to and she thinks I make too much of it. Besides, you guys can't complain,at least not that I can hear.

anachronism
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
While we're at it, how about the word "best"? Example: "I need to know what is the best cast bullet for a 45?" Nothing is ever the "best" for all situations/combinations. Not all bullets perform the same on their targets. Not all bullets are suitable for all firearms. "Best" is every bit as bad as "tactical". They both grate on my nerves some days.

gray wolf
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
----------------------------Cabin fever rules-------------------------

mold maker
02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
If my use of American (English) offends anyone just take note of the top left corner. The name mold maker might tip you off that you shouldn't read the rest.
It's been 47 years since I left the class room and I might have forgotten some of what I might not have learned then.
My personal take is that the word critics need to get a life. If everyone was perfect, think how boring, reading would be. All those uptight perfect spellers, and word critics would then panic because of our equality.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I thought I had let it all out by my previous rant. I left my computer for a bit to eat a snicker bar and watch a little TV. I was watching the story of a murder trial in Colorado of all places. A women was on trial for killing her ex, I am not sure which, husband or boyfriend. The ex needs almost twenty grand to pay dental bills. He goes back to the wealthy women's big ranch and demands the cash or else. Here is the good part. A female reporter chimes in and says " he had a high powered rifle with a scope attached, the kind of weapon soldiers woud use in a war but not the kind you would use for hunting". Oh really. They showed a picture of some bolt action rifle with scope.

Village Idiot
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I once sat on a Federal Grand Jury; we met twice a month for a year and a half. We had a couple Federal cases involving firearms. The BATF sent in their "gun expert" to layout the case. The "gun expert" was their term, not mine, that’s how the lawyer introduced him. On the first case he explained the firearm the scumbag used was a semi automatic revolver! I said A WHAT???? I had a discussion with him about how firearms operate and the difference between a semi auto pistol and a revolver. He was at a total loss and sat there with mouth open and a lost look on his face. Second case was an armed robbery in which he explained the scumbag used an automatic 380 ACP. One of the nice ladies that served with me asked if by automatic he meant it was a machine gun and what did ACP stand for? His answer was yes, automatic meant it was a machine gun and he didn't have any idea what the ACP stood for. I interdicted again and explained what a semi auto was and how it operated verses a full auto. I also explain what the ACP stood for in 380 ACP. The expert, to save face, jumped in with his vast knowledge and started explaining how it was clip fed. I again corrected him that the actual term was magazine and explained the difference between the two. He just sat there glaring at me with mouth open while the lawyer was babbling to himself. I didn’t make many friends with the Feds but the other jurors were glad to have the straight scoop.

I take it I ruffled some feathers because the next 3 visits were hell getting through the guards and metal detector at the door. I was winter at the time and I wore my Long duster coat and matching hat. When I first started going there I would just throw my keys and change in a tray and with hat and duster on carry my American Rifleman and other assorted gun magazines with me through the detector. After my run in with the expert, I had to remove my coat, hat, empty pockets, etc. On the 3rd visit after the expert they had me put my keys, change, life savers, chapstick, etc in my hat and run it through the x-ray machine. I told them there was no way it was going to make it through the machine without dumping everything. They were belligerent and insisted I do it. Well as I figured the hat flipped over and dumped everything out and it ended up all over the machine and on the floor. There were 2 others on my jury behind me. They told them to just go around and don’t worry about going through the metal detector. They all stood there laughing while I tried to gather my stuff up. The 2 jurors held the elevator for me. When in the elevator they asked what h*** that was all about? I told them they had been treating me like s*** since my clarification with the “gun expert”. I told them I had had enough and was going to lodge a complaint. They both offered to back me in making it if I wanted. I told them no, if nothing was done about it then they would just end up getting the same treatment I was. They sent me to a Judge to discuss my complaint. I informed the Judge as to the treatment I had been receiving in my last 3 visits and I had enough. As it was I had to drive 1 ½ hours one way on my dime, loose 2 days pay per month and was reimbursed a whole $15.00 a day. I was there because I believed in our justice system but if they thought I was going to put up with that s*** they could kiss me where the sun don’t shine. The Judge was real good about it and thanked me for doing my duty and explained the system would not work without people like me etc. etc. and asked that I give him time to look into it. All I know is one of the fellows that were there was gone never to be seen again. The others, though begrudgingly, made it a point to say “good morning sir” and “have a nice day sir” after that and I went back to just throwing my keys and change in the tray.

Oh, I never saw the so called expert again either in the year and a half I served.

V.I.

wallenba
02-21-2010, 10:24 PM
fustrated instead of frustrated, supposebly instead of supposedly...oh, was this just about guns?

Makes me cringe too when I hear it, especially from professionals who should know better. And also, "ax ", instead of ask.

I prefer magazine but I know what is meant when they say clip.

wallenba
02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
[ A female reporter chimes in and says " he had a high powered rifle with a scope attached, the kind of weapon soldiers woud use in a war but not the kind you would use for hunting". Oh really. They showed a picture of some bolt action rifle with scope.[/QUOTE]

A TV news reporter here in Detroit some years ago reported on a convicted felon who had been arrested on a gun charge and how lucky they were to get him off the street because his gun was loaded with teflon "cop killer" bullets. A close-up of the cartridges showed that they were 44 shotshells with the semi clear blue plastic cap. And no matter what type of weapon is used in a killing, rifle or shotgun, the image in the corner was a handgun.

mike in co
02-21-2010, 11:02 PM

you learned wrong....

sorry to hear that...

magazine..ammo storage....as in the thing you store ammo in for your 1911, or a building/bunker for bulk ammo storage.

few guns use clips......the garand being one.
a garand uses a clip(specifically an en bloc clip), and m-14 uses a mag/magazine.

most semi auto hand guns use magazines.(see if i got this one right, a broom handle mauser has a permanent magazine which is fed from a stripper clip).ps...joe has pointed out that the 96 mauser actually came both ways.. clip fed or with a detachable magazine..

using the word clip for a semi auto( heck a full auto) handgun is like dragging your nails on a chalk board....
the survey is completly wrong..as the both items are correct for the correct gun, it is not one or the other....

hopefully the originator learned something..

mike in co

Gelandangan
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Some idiots use the word "your" when what they meant is " you are" ,
the abbreviation of "you are" is "you're"

!!

montana_charlie
02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
...and some people might say "for all intensive purposes" when the actual phrase is "for all intents and purposes".

It comes from repeating what you (think you) heard...instead of knowing how to say what you wish to convey.

CM

Adam10mm
02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Or "sorta speak" instead of "so to speak".

Wife says this too: "electrict" instead of "electric". Or keep "tract" of something instead of keep "track" of something. As time goes on Americans get more stupid.

Blacksmith
02-22-2010, 12:05 AM
I am seeing a lot of opinions on the poll question but how about naming the source of the information? Who says magazine is the proper term?

Blacksmith

Rockydog
02-22-2010, 12:09 AM
When did bullets become "heads"? eg: I've got a box of 30 caliber heads for sale. I honest to God didn't know what the hell they were talkin' about. RD

Adam10mm
02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
I am seeing a lot of opinions on the poll question but how about naming the source of the information? Who says magazine is the proper term?

Blacksmith
98% of the entire firearm industry.

Adam10mm
02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
When did bullets become "heads"? eg: I've got a box of 30 caliber heads for sale. I honest to God didn't know what the hell they were talkin' about. RD
Or bullet tips.

semtav
02-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Blacksmith

I thought magazine was the place they stored ammo.

lwknight
02-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Can you say ALUMINUM? Amazing how many say alleemnium or something like that.

mike in co
02-22-2010, 02:50 AM
I thought magazine was the place they stored ammo.

that is true...right down to ammo storage in a metal/plastic magazine that is inserted in to a magazine well in a firearm......no time limit nor location of the "magazine".

mike in co

mike in co
02-22-2010, 02:58 AM
from SAAMI GLOSSARY:

MAGAZINE
1. A building for the storage of either ammunition or its components.
2. A recepticle for a firearm that holds a plurality of cartridges or shells under spring pressure preparatory for feeding into the chamber. Magazines take many forms, such as box, drum, rotary, tubular, etc. and may be fixed or removable.

CLIP, CARTRIDGE
See Cartridge Clip.

CARTRIDGE CLIP
A separate cartridge container to hold cartridges or shells in proper sequence for feeding into a specific firearm. It is a magazine charger, and unlike a magazine does not contain a feeding spring. Sometimes improperly called a Magazine.

IS THAT ENOUGH OF A SOURCE??
it is the industry standard..

as far as the published error listed here, its like others that have posted the wrong definitions...he simply posted what he "knew" with no back up nor supporting documentation.

mike in co

DLCTEX
02-22-2010, 10:44 AM
OK, one of my pet peeves is "sight" and "site" used wrong.. Sight is visual. Site is physical location. A local reporter once traveled to a firing range that was remotely located. He finally came in site of the sight. He then related his shooting experience of the day and continued to reverse the two words.

GabbyM
02-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Here is mine:
Advertised ammo components for sale where the adds read X number of rounds. When they are only selling bullets or brass cases. Round of ammo of course being primer powder and ball. In modern ammo a cartridge case is added to necessarily make up a round of ammo. May sound like nit picking but when someone is in the business of selling reloading components I'd expect them to know what a round of ammo is. Advertising say 500 rounds of 9mm bullets is incorrect when you are only selling the bullet. To the point there is no such measurement as a round of bullets or rounds of once fired brass.

Trey45
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when watching a movie, or TV, when the gunman points his pistol at whatever, they use the same 4 click sound effect, the same sound a SAA makes when it's cocked. If the guy points a GLOCK, you hear the same cocking sound. Another one, the guy with the pump action shotgun, before they go do anything, he always racks the slide, when they get there, he racks the slide, when they have their little pep talk and fan out to go get the bad guys, he racks the slide, by the time he gets there, he should be completely out of shotgun shells!
I'm thinking they hired the gun expert that Village Idiot had to deal with on grand jury duty.

9.3X62AL
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Winter will be over, eventually........

Mntngoat
02-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Amen, get a laugh and want to slap someone when they start talking about their tact-i-cool AR, I'm sure it looks something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Mntngoat/Firearms/tacticool.jpg

ML

jcwit
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
There is no problem between clip or magazine, go to some sites where some use acroms?? all the time in their posts and us oldsters have no idea whats being discussed. I assume it comes from all the texting, not only is it killing us on the highway its ruining the english language as we know it.

JMHO--FWIW--AFAIK--CYA

alamogunr
02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
OK, one of my pet peeves is "sight" and "site" used wrong.. Sight is visual. Site is physical location. A local reporter once traveled to a firing range that was remotely located. He finally came in site of the sight. He then related his shooting experience of the day and continued to reverse the two words.

That is one stirs me up also. Even worse, in my opinion, is the traffic sign I have seen locally. "Limited Site Intersection".

For the most part I have tried not to obsess about the misuse of language. It is a losing battle. We casters have a few favorite's in this area. One of the most common here is groves instead of grooves. I guess we get oranges from the groove.

I really get worked up when I see words misused in the newspaper or a magazine. It works its way into internet news sites also. These people are supposed to be professional word smiths.

John
W.TN

Mntngoat
02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
don't even get me started on "duct" vs' "duck" tape.

ML

OutHuntn84
02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
What about these old crotchity farts that cant spell bullets B-U-L-L-E-T-S!!!! Not B-O-O-L-I-T-S. Then they'll complain about other folks grasp of the english language.
:kidding: :bigsmyl2:

alamogunr
02-22-2010, 11:48 AM
don't even get me started on "duct" vs' "duck" tape.

ML

Kind of hard to correct that one when there is a "semi" duct tape on the market under the brand name "Duck Tape".

John
W.TN

waksupi
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
What about these old crotchity farts that cant spell bullets B-U-L-L-E-T-S!!!! Not B-O-O-L-I-T-S. Then they'll complain about other folks grasp of the english language.
:kidding: :bigsmyl2:

They ain't the same!

44man
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Like "boolit and bullet." Boy did I take hell over that and even got kicked off a forum. Every time I type boolit, spell check puts a line under it.
The whole thing is, clip is easier to say and I don't care what you call it because if it holds rounds, I know what you mean. Spell check does not put a line under "clip."
Yes, we all know the difference and I say "SO WHAT."
But then I am hot on a boolit that needs to obturate so it will seal when obturate MEANS seal. The boolit needs to EXPAND to obturate or better yet, it must be large enough TO OBTURATE without expansion.
As much as I hate the use of the word, I still know what is meant.
All of us are guilty of wrong words and part names.
I once called a hammer block a transfer bar---yeah, my bad because I was not thinking but I heard about that for years. I am also guilty of calling a striker a hammer because the parts list also called it a hammer. Then there is "mold and mould." Funny that spell check puts a line under mould. :bigsmyl2: Both mean the same thing.
Clip--A device that holds, clasps or grips articles together.
Magazine--A receptacle or part of a gun holding ammunition---gee, sounds like clip to me! [smilie=p: It also means a periodical publication so if I say I need a magazine, do I need a booklet?
The English language is rife with words that mean different things but spelled the same and only the context you are talking in can differentiate what you mean.
But I still love "BOOLIT."

felix
02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, boolits, is short for our trademark boooo-lits, or buuuuu-lits. Not a spelling problem for this reason. Kool-Aid is a trademark, right? Smoke Kools!!! ... felix

The term boolits was first uttered by my wife, Pat, back in 74 when I began casting in earnest. My emphasis was for R&D purposes because I had a bunch of metal designers at my disposal where we worked at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford. They suggested trying the various mixes with heat treatment that we combine and use now. Shuz was the first one on our board to mention boolits, and naturally I joined in with spashing the word as often as necessary in our posts. The word caught on like wild fire. ... felix

44man
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Amen, get a laugh and want to slap someone when they start talking about their tact-i-cool AR, I'm sure it looks something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Mntngoat/Firearms/tacticool.jpg

ML
OH I LOVE THAT! :holysheep But you can't beat my 2000 yard sniper pistol.

Blacksmith
02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Mike in CO
Thank you for a reference I can refer to instead of hearsay. I will bow to your reference over mine and call them magazines not clips, which I usually do anyway.

Blacksmith

Sprue
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Woah......

I surmise that I'm the only one that has ever experienced computer glitches, lockups or the occasional lag problem, as was the case with this threads Subject & Title matter. Anyway this thread got published before my will. It inadvertently published during cultivation. That said;

My first initial thought was having the Mods delete it. To my dismay I discovered that Titles nor Polls can be edited once published. On the other hand, with the eager to comment and badinage I just let it run. Oh, and to mention, a truck just pulled onto the driveway full of firewood, that was the hair on the biscuit.

Anyway here WAS the initial intent:

I was watching Outdoor Channel last Weds (6:30-11PM) evening Gun Show(s) lineup. On one of the programs, the Host was profiling a Pistol, its function, capacity etc.. On more than one occasion he used the word "clip" in his blunder........... hence this thread......

As for the mentioning of Pet Peeves above:

Calling a 1911 or Pistol magazine a clip.

The proper use of : to and too, sentences typed in all caps or no caps all.

Sprue
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Winter will be over, eventually........

PMO.........

Now its off to the Post Office to pickup my new Tomato Seed, the hot boxes are all ready. I'm gonna try some NAPA and Mortgage Lifters this year. [smilie=p:

Mntngoat
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Kind of hard to correct that one when there is a "semi" duct tape on the market under the brand name "Duck Tape".

John
W.TN

I was waiting for someone to point that out. Iam talking about real duct tape as used in the HVAC trades

ML

swheeler
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I think people sometimes let too many things bother them. So with that said I'm off to put a box of PILLS down the TUBE/PIPE of my 300 WEBBY which wears my favorite 3x9 LOOPY. Heck I might even drag the 03 SPRINGER or P17 along just for fun.

jonk
02-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I once sat on a Federal Grand Jury; we met twice a month for a year and a half. We had a couple Federal cases involving firearms. The BATF sent in their "gun expert" to layout the case. The "gun expert" was their term, not mine, that’s how the lawyer introduced him. On the first case he explained the firearm the scumbag used was a semi automatic revolver! I said A WHAT???? I had a discussion with him about how firearms operate and the difference between a semi auto pistol and a revolver. He was at a total loss and sat there with mouth open and a lost look on his face. Second case was an armed robbery in which he explained the scumbag used an automatic 380 ACP. One of the nice ladies that served with me asked if by automatic he meant it was a machine gun and what did ACP stand for? His answer was yes, automatic meant it was a machine gun and he didn't have any idea what the ACP stood for. I interdicted again and explained what a semi auto was and how it operated verses a full auto. I also explain what the ACP stood for in 380 ACP. The expert, to save face, jumped in with his vast knowledge and started explaining how it was clip fed. I again corrected him that the actual term was magazine and explained the difference between the two. He just sat there glaring at me with mouth open while the lawyer was babbling to himself. I didn’t make many friends with the Feds but the other jurors were glad to have the straight scoop.

I take it I ruffled some feathers because the next 3 visits were hell getting through the guards and metal detector at the door. I was winter at the time and I wore my Long duster coat and matching hat. When I first started going there I would just throw my keys and change in a tray and with hat and duster on carry my American Rifleman and other assorted gun magazines with me through the detector. After my run in with the expert, I had to remove my coat, hat, empty pockets, etc. On the 3rd visit after the expert they had me put my keys, change, life savers, chapstick, etc in my hat and run it through the x-ray machine. I told them there was no way it was going to make it through the machine without dumping everything. They were belligerent and insisted I do it. Well as I figured the hat flipped over and dumped everything out and it ended up all over the machine and on the floor. There were 2 others on my jury behind me. They told them to just go around and don’t worry about going through the metal detector. They all stood there laughing while I tried to gather my stuff up. The 2 jurors held the elevator for me. When in the elevator they asked what h*** that was all about? I told them they had been treating me like s*** since my clarification with the “gun expert”. I told them I had had enough and was going to lodge a complaint. They both offered to back me in making it if I wanted. I told them no, if nothing was done about it then they would just end up getting the same treatment I was. They sent me to a Judge to discuss my complaint. I informed the Judge as to the treatment I had been receiving in my last 3 visits and I had enough. As it was I had to drive 1 ½ hours one way on my dime, loose 2 days pay per month and was reimbursed a whole $15.00 a day. I was there because I believed in our justice system but if they thought I was going to put up with that s*** they could kiss me where the sun don’t shine. The Judge was real good about it and thanked me for doing my duty and explained the system would not work without people like me etc. etc. and asked that I give him time to look into it. All I know is one of the fellows that were there was gone never to be seen again. The others, though begrudgingly, made it a point to say “good morning sir” and “have a nice day sir” after that and I went back to just throwing my keys and change in the tray.

Oh, I never saw the so called expert again either in the year and a half I served.

V.I.Well, a semi automatic revolver would be a Webley-Fosberry for instance.

It was my understanding that a clip retained the ammunition, whether an enbloc, stripper, or even a 1911, and was detachable from the gun. Wheras a magazine does the same but remains in the gun at all times.

But I have no issue with calling a 1911 clip a magazine, but have a big problem with calling a Mauser integral box magazine a clip.

AZ-Stew
02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Spue, spew, spur, spruce... it's S-P-R-U-E!

Prolly instead of probably. (Prolly want a cracker?)

There (not here, but over there), Their (it belongs to them), and They're (they are). "Here are our winners of the hour! They're going over there to get their trophies."

Your (it belongs to you) and You're (you are).

The definitions for "clip" and "magazine" given by Mike in co is the same as we were taught in US Navy Gunner's Mate school. I'm sure it's the same in the other services.

Poorly proofread articles make reading difficult. Using the spell check tool at the top right of the message screen will eliminate 80-90 percent of the problems, but folks should read through their posts to be sure they're as correct as possible before posting. Once posted, if an error is found, there is an "Edit" button at the lower right of the post that will allow changes to be made.

It's not just a matter of being "picky". This is not a private forum. When our posts look like they were written by first graders, non-members may assume that's the educational level of the poster. People do judge us by the way we use the language. Let's make good impressions.

Regards,

Stew

alamogunr
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Poorly proofread articles make reading difficult. Using the spell check tool at the top right of the message screen will eliminate 80-90 percent of the problems, but folks should read through their posts to be sure they're as correct as possible before posting. Once posted, if an error is found, there is an "Edit" button at the lower right of the post that will allow changes to be made.

It's not just a matter of being "picky". This is not a private forum. When our posts look like they were written by first graders, non-members may assume that's the educational level of the poster. People do judge us by the way we use the language. Let's make good impressions.

Regards,

Stew

So far, I have been able to correct typo's and misspelled words just by recognizing something was wrong. I have looked all over the screen but cannot find "spell check". This wouldn't be the first time I have overlooked something that, "if it had been a snake, it would have bit me". More help, please!

John
W.TN

higgins
02-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Every time I hear someone say "I threw up and shot" in a hunting story, I visualize someone puking before they squeeze one off.

Gelandangan
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Aluminium NOT aluminum.

Ok, somehow the correct spellers are people with English as their Second language.
They get the spelling correct but their grammar is atrocious.

Sort of the like of me :) I did not speak, read or write English until I was 17 years old.
So there..

I put a clip of cartridges in my pocket ready to charge the magazine of my M1 Garland.

DLCTEX
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:I was waiting for someone to point that out. Iam talking about real duct tape as used in the HVAC trades.
And Duck tape is manufactured for use on waterfowl.:grin:

BruceB
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
One thing that REALLY ticks me off is the outright purposeful blasphemy perpetrated by many people, apparently in a badly-misguided effort to appear "cool" (I hate that word!), who insist on calling things by other than their correct names.

"Springer" for Springfield;

"Mossy" for Mossberg;

"shotty" for shotgun;

dozens of others;

and worst of all, calling one of the finest creations of mankind's endeavors (the RIFLE) a blasted "STICK"! It even has the same number of letters, but these %^&*$#@ fools STILL call it a "stick"! They don't even have laziness as an excuse...

A word to those prepared to listen: You're NOT "cool", you're a blasted know-nothing with no sense of propriety or decent appreciation of the good things.

Better shut up before I become banned....

Village Idiot
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
If it walks like a duct, swims like a duct, and quacks like a duct, it must be a duct right?
V.I.

Hickory
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I never had much respect for a man who could spell a word only one way.
Mark Twain

lurch
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
One of my favorites is the often used phrase 'could care less' when the perpetrator's actual meaning is 'couldn't care less'.

AZ-Stew
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
So far, I have been able to correct typo's and misspelled words just by recognizing something was wrong. I have looked all over the screen but cannot find "spell check". This wouldn't be the first time I have overlooked something that, "if it had been a snake, it would have bit me". More help, please!

John
W.TN

Alamo,

It's located as shown in the attached photo.

Here's the scoop: The first time you try to use it, it will want to download and install a program. Do it. Once it's installed, you can use it to spell check your posts before clicking "Submit Reply". WARNING! The first time you use it, it will wipe the message area clean! Open a session of Notepad. Click and drag to highlight ALL the text in the message window, do a Control-C, then put your cursor into the Notepad window, click once and do a Control-V to save the text into Notepad so you don't lose it. Go ahead and run the spell checker by clicking the ABC Checkmark as shown in the photo. Don't worry about losing your post since you've saved it to Notepad.

If the spell checker works, great. If it blows away your text, simply click and drag in the Notepad window, Control-C, cursor in the message window and Control-V to paste your post back into the message window. Go ahead and post it, even though you haven't spell checked it. Once the post appears in the forum, click the "Edit" spot in the lower right of the post. This will bring back the message window and you'll be able to spell check it, hopefully without losing the text this time.

This sounds like a bunch of hassle, but after you've done it the first time, it will work without any other issues in the future. It happened to me the first time, and I think it happened to Bullshop, too. His posts have been better lately, so I assume he's got it working now. Anyway, it's an easy to access, useful tool.

Regards,

Stew

jim4065
02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
OK - I have numerous "pet peeves", but my number one is February. It is pronounced FEB - RU - ARY, not FEB - U - ARY because the speaker is too damned lazy to teach his tongue to pronounce the word. And there's a special place in Hell for the lexicographers who have (lately) decided to relax the standards and make the R silent. Shame on them, and on everyone else who wants relaxed standards because "Little Johnny" is too damned lazy to learn.

montana_charlie
02-22-2010, 10:10 PM
One thing that REALLY ticks me off is...

and worst of all, calling one of the finest creations of mankind's endeavors (the RIFLE) a blasted "STICK"!
I have heard many of the others and they aggravate me, too.

Winchester (for instance) carries too much history to be reduced to 'Winny', and I really got sick of one poster's continual harping about his 'Swede'.

But I have never heard 'stick'' used in place of 'rifle'. I can't even imagine how the term could have been coined.

CM

Rockydog
02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
How about the need for a sports team to get "Untracked" and play better. Where in the heck did that come from? Don't they need to get ON TRACK to play better? "Untracked" equates to derailed to me. RD

Ed Barrett
02-22-2010, 10:47 PM
I have heard many of the others and they aggravate me, too.

Winchester (for instance) carries too much history to be reduced to 'Winny', and I really got sick of one poster's continual harping about his 'Swede'.

CM

I guess I'm guilty of that, I call my "Finn" a "Finn". If I called it a model 27 not many people would know what I was talking about, "Finn" covers a reworked MN.

jim4065
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I sure called my '94 Mauser a "Swede" often enough. Just adding a little variety! :kidding:

alamogunr
02-23-2010, 01:17 AM
If I described my Model 39 as just a "Finn" or the Swedish M96 Mauser as a "Swede", no one around here would know what I was talking about. I guess I'm forced to use correct terminology.

John
W.TN

swheeler
02-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Well my 500A MOSSY is becoming my favorite boom STICK, next to my M70 WINNY with 24 inch TUBE!

Mk42gunner
02-23-2010, 05:52 AM
To answer the question in the poll; as the words apply to small arms -- a clip has three sides and no bottom, a magazine has four sides and a bottom.

Robert

Calamity Jake
02-23-2010, 09:29 AM
It's 45 Colt not 45 Long Colt.

Trey45
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
It's 45 Colt not 45 Long Colt.

I have been in arguements about this very subject. It is indeed 45 Colt, NOT LONG Colt!

MT Gianni
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Reloads vs Handloads. All of mine are done on a machine. Really it's too little for me to worry about.

mike in co
02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
To answer the question in the poll; as the words apply to small arms -- a clip has three sides and no bottom, a magazine has four sides and a bottom.

Robert

and the big difference is a spring to feed the ammo out of the magazine as needed.

blackthorn
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I am absolutely SHOCKED! Five pages on this subject and no-one has mentioned the MANY ways we can use the wrod"LEAD" and the different meanings.
I finished up my working life writing decisions for an adminstrative tribunal and my wife was a secretary for the same outfit. Woe betide me if she reads anything I write and it is not accurate!!! And then we have the differences between English and American dictionaries.

Tom308
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I've heard both terms and know the right one. I never embarrass anyone by correcting them. As they get older and read more, they will learn. I still welcome them to the firearms world.

Gelandangan
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
In this Land of Oz where I live, GUNS are considered as tool for SPORT.
The need to defend ourself is not considered as a valid reason to own GUNS.
In fact, we have NO RIGHT to arm ourself, because our police force is so efficient ... NOT!

Should we call our GUNS fireARMS?
Would it not breach the GUN laws for us to call them ARMS?

AZ-Stew
02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I found another one in a post....

The abbreviation was: ect.

The correct abbreviation is: etc.

The word is NOT ek-settera. It's et-settera. (Properly spelled: etcetera.)

Just thought of another one....

the symbol " * " is pronounced "as-ter-isk", not as-ter-ik".

Regards,

Stew

wills
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I am absolutely SHOCKED! Five pages on this subject and no-one has mentioned the MANY ways we can use the wrod"LEAD" and the different meanings.
I finished up my working life writing decisions for an adminstrative tribunal and my wife was a secretary for the same outfit. Woe betide me if she reads anything I write and it is not accurate!!! And then we have the differences between English and American dictionaries.

Quick, change “wrod” to “word”, before your wife sees it.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM
A magazine is what I put in my Remington 700! (Yes it is removable, even though my wifes was not. BDL vs ADL!)

I use a "clip" to hold some papers together . . . :mrgreen:

alamogunr
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I'll bet more on this board know what ie, means and what it stands for than do all media in the world with the possible exception of those in Rome(hint, hint).
Stew.?

John
W.TN

mike in co
02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
I'll bet more on this board know what ie, means and what it stands for than do all media in the world with the possible exception of those in Rome(hint, hint).
Stew.?

John
W.TN

no fair google will give it away

vestis virum facet...i bet i spelled it wrong

mike in co

alamogunr
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
no fair google will give it away

vestis virum facet...i bet i spelled it wrong

mike in co

From Wikipedia: i.e. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases:_I#id_est), abbreviation for Latin id est, meaning "that is; in other words"

I remember very little Latin but that is one term I did remember. Don't remember if Mrs Haws(teacher)drilled it into me or what but it is among the many marginally useful things that clog my memory. Not sure if Latin was even taught after the 50's.

John
W.TN

mroliver77
02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
I put a clip full off cartridges into the clip guide that is slipped onto the detachable magazine of my m14.
Den whed homey axed if i fild my clips wid bullets soes he kin cap dem crackas ***.

WickedGoodOutdoors
02-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Point Blank Range.

A term developed during the times when a Fireing Squad was popular.

Tradionally, 7 Soldiers where handed guns with one rifle containing Blanks. This was to relieve the poor soldier of the mental Pain & anguish of knowing that they were the one who shot the poor subject. (Also it was a preemption against Laweyrs, who in thoe days were called Barristers from suing in behalf of their cliet for Pain & anguish, but thats a different story)

They were all told to aim at a certain Point Blank Range where the rifles ballistic trechory was most applicable.

See the below digram to satisfy your confusion.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28758/28758-h/images/VI_N16_Fig5.png

wiljen
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Catalyst: a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

None of the reactions we deal with in melting and freezing lead are chemical reactions. (With the exception of the white dust being oxide). The term catalyst is used all purely for lack of a better word.

wills
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Catalyst: a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

I always thought it was someone in the cattle business.

montana_charlie
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
It's a psychiatrist for disturbed cows...

Tazman1602
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Who-doggies, cabin fever runnin rampant on this one. Folks is just folks. I gots a good buddy whos grammer ain't so good and we tease about it all the time. Goes something like this;

"I *gots* this *ideal* fer a new thing but I *dint* do it because it cost too much. I went to price it and couldn't believe the *nadacity* of that feller I yakked at"

Translated = I have this great *idea* for something but I *didn't* do it because it costs too much. I went to price it and couldn't believe the *audacity* of the guy I talked to.

Writing and grammer are both pet peeves of mine but mine isn't perfect so call it what you want to call it............<grin>

semtav
02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
One thing that REALLY ticks me off is the outright purposeful blasphemy perpetrated by many people, apparently in a badly-misguided effort to appear "cool" (I hate that word!), who insist on calling things by other than their correct names.

"Springer" for Springfield;

"Mossy" for Mossberg;

"shotty" for shotgun;

dozens of others;

and worst of all, calling one of the finest creations of mankind's endeavors (the RIFLE) a blasted "STICK"! It even has the same number of letters, but these %^&*$#@ fools STILL call it a "stick"! They don't even have laziness as an excuse...

A word to those prepared to listen: You're NOT "cool", you're a blasted know-nothing with no sense of propriety or decent appreciation of the good things.

Better shut up before I become banned....

You mean kinda like ummmm unnnhhhh ------boolits ?????? :bigsmyl2:

mike in co
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
You mean kinda like ummmm unnnhhhh ------boolits ?????? :bigsmyl2:

not even in the same catagory...

we have specifically listed a different spelling for a DIFFERENT boolit.

don't throw us under the train wiht those idiots..

mike in co

scrapcan
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Should it not be etc...

I thought it was customary to put the three periods on this for proper usage?

AZ-Stew
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Should it not be etc...

I thought it was customary to put the three periods on this for proper usage?

It's an abbreviation for "etcetera". Abbreviations only require a single period.

Three periods are an ellipsis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis)

Regards,

Stew

Ed Barrett
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Do we all need to get a Style book to post on this site now? I prefer the Tribune style book over the Associated Press version.

Just kidding.

AZ-Stew
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Muzzle "break" instead of muzzle "brake". The difference is illustrated in this post:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=778140&postcount=8

Regards,

Stew

Cactus Farmer
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
It's an abbreviation for "etcetera". Abbreviations only require a single period.

Regards,

Stew

I use 'em all the time...now I know what to call it. Thanks Stew.

Tom308
02-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Are we all school teachers now?

Tazman1602
02-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Muzzle "break" instead of muzzle "brake". The difference is illustrated in this post:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=778140&postcount=8

Regards,

Stew

Man that's the gun the guy left the collimater spud in when he shot it isn't it? Sure looks like the same pic I saw, was amazed it whould spilit like that.........<LOL>

mike in co
02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Are we all school teachers now?

sorta.....

some of us grew up with the three r's........

not band, acting, and photography as classes.

i get casual with some of my language when posting on forums......consider it posted speech as oppose to publishing.

but....some stuff does get to me........magazine and clip is one of those...

what gets me, is when you show someone the CORRECT way and they ignore it.

its not when your heart quits pumping that you die, you are dead when you quit learning.

mike in co

Tom308
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I learned a long time ago to not sweat the small stuff. I just try to cope and enjoy. I don't even get upset with the global warming nuts. I do realize if everyone was like me, it would be a very dull world.
I still know what is meant by 'boolits".

jim4065
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
"Errors" of whatever sort don't bother me when they appear from "just folks" on a forum. They really get under my skin when they appear in published advertising and articles which "should be" scanned by editors. Instead, it's all regarded as "good enough" when it's not, really.

mroliver77
02-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I dont think I am anal to the point of expecting others to conform to my standards. Being a builder by trade it is very annoying to have workers or management ignorant of the names of the various parts of a building or even the tools they use. I was told to level the walls in a house. I was confused as the walls are level if the foundation is level and does not need checked.(New construction) What he wanted was the walls PLUMBED and braced before the ceiling joists were to go on. It seems that all trim along a roof is a facer(facia) now. It makes it so much easier if everybody is using the same play book. High school or even college kids seem to know very little basic math and algebra. It is a sad state of affairs when I am the most learned body on a job!! I am ok when a drill is called a "screw shooter" or a level a "plumb stick" as long as I am let in on the "game".
we called a bullet a booolit before I found this site but it applied to all bullets not just cast. I liked it right away as I was on a email group about casting and the very anal retentive types there really got their panties in a wad when the endearment was used. I think some here will remember that group.
Jay

AZ-Stew
02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I have two forearms, but nothing I would call a forend. My rifles have forends, but no forearms.

Regards,

Stew

Mumblypeg
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Well... I just don't like to hear people call a firearm a weapon. It's not until you use it as such. But then so is a pencil.

357maximum
02-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Well... I just don't like to hear people call a firearm a weapon. It's not until you use it as such. But then so is a pencil.

Tread carefully on this one....I brought it up awhile back and am still picking tar coated feathers out of my nether regions.

I read all 6 pages of this post and I payed purdy :Fire:good attention. I can only come up with one single thought.................................The coyote learned to adapt to it's surroundings. The dodo did not.

mike in co
02-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Tread carefully on this one....I brought it up awhile back and am still picking tar coated feathers out of my nether regions.

I read all 6 pages of this post and I payed purdy :Fire:good attention. I can only come up with one single thought.................................The coyote learned to adapt to it's surroundings. The dodo did not.

well i would join you on this one.......essentially none of my guns are weapons. they are all used for sport...target shooting or matches. IF something requied me to defend me or my property, i would probably choose the closest og my guns. at that time, if someoen chose they could called a selfdefense weapon..........or what it started life as....a GUN!

mike in co

303Guy
02-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Point Blank Range.

A term developed during the times when a Fireing Squad was popular.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28758/28758-h/images/VI_N16_Fig5.png
I'm going to call you on this one. (I could be wrong so ... )

Cannon elevation used to be set using an instrument that consisted of a wooden rod, which was inserted into the muzzle - with a hanging pointer that pointed onto a scale calibrated in Roman numerals. There is no zero in Roman numerals so at zero elevation there would be a blank space. Point blank. [smilie=1:

sagacious
02-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Part of the cause of ramapant poor grammar is attributable to the speaker or writer. But part of the problem is the direct fault of the US school system.

A few decades ago, the Dept of Education (if I recall correctly) somehow determined that students were being 'stifled' by the then-current teaching standards, and decided that US students shouldn't be pushed... that testing and standards should be relaxed. That students were better off if allowed to 'learn at their own pace.' The effect of this policy was a flood of highschool graduates who literally couldn't read-- the "Johnny can't read" syndrome. I'm sure some of those reading this are aware of that unfortunate and crippling educational fiasco.

I was too young at the time to remember this, but my mother later told me she went to my gradeschool and raised he!! with the school board about the 'relaxed' grammar policy. Didn't have any effect on the school's teaching/testing standards, of course, because folks really bought that it was a better way. Thankfully, that policy has been long abandoned, but the effects are indelible, and now we have almost a whole generation of people with poor grammar skills.

The rub with this (beside the obvious) is that most people automatically and unconsciously judge the intellectual capacity of others by their grammar. If one has poor grammar skills, it doesn't at all mean that he's not smart... but a great many people are likely to unconsciously make that assumption. It's not an especially fair or accurate assessment, but that's just part of human nature.

In light of this, I try not to be too zealous about assigning fault for grammar mistakes. However, one as to ask the question of whether you're doing someone a favor or a disservice by not tactfully correcting their grammar. Speaking only for myself, it seems less kind to allow a friend to continue with a mistake that may affect how others view his intellect.

Taylor
02-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Everytime someone calls a magazine a clip-God kills a cat.Heard that somewhere,some time back.

Jim
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm going to call you on this one. (I could be wrong so ... )

Cannon elevation used to be set using an instrument that consisted of a wooden rod, which was inserted into the muzzle - with a hanging pointer that pointed onto a scale calibrated in Roman numerals. There is no zero in Roman numerals so at zero elevation there would be a blank space. Point blank. [smilie=1:

I LIKE that!

Mumblypeg
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't know about the cat thing, but the clip feeds the magazine, the magazine feeds the gun.

Mumblypeg
02-28-2010, 10:24 AM
There are ways to communicate without reading from the same dictionary and I'm sure we all have our own as do different regions. As an example, and I'm not being a racist, lets take the negro race. First there was negro, then it went to black, now it is african-american. I myself recognize Negro; dark skinned person of African origin. This is what I was taught when I was young. There was no derogatory meaning to this what so ever. Black, I accept and is generic as is white. African-American however, I don't because both African and American has nothing to do with race as such. However... because it is being forced down my throat, I do know what someone is talking about when they use the term. I guess it's just part of the evolution of language.

Cowboy5780
02-28-2010, 10:25 AM
All my life my Dad has called em a clip so i have too... well now my 19 yr old son in this information age calls them magazines drove me crazy for a while now we use either term and understand what the other means.... incendently while we were calling them clips in my youth a magazine was like the tubular thingamabob on a 22 or a lever action....Or something you read lol

Eutectic
02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I am not too bothered by 'clip'/'magazine' terminology.... Unless of course they are stuffed full of the dreaded "Dum-Dum" bullets!

One word however, that has always irritated me is used like this....

"Man, it was a nice ol' gun! It even had a hex barrel!"

Eutectic

Ed Barrett
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I am not too bothered by 'clip'/'magazine' terminology.... Unless of course they are stuffed full of the dreaded "Dum-Dum" bullets!

One word however, that has always irritated me is used like this....

"Man, it was a nice ol' gun! It even had a hex barrel!"

Eutectic

Those bullets could have been made at the Dum Dum arsenal in India.
The barrel was made by the Pennsylvania Dutch and had "Hex" markings on it.

<G>

leadhead
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Don't sweat the small things, just pet the sweaty things.

Shiloh
02-28-2010, 11:33 AM
A clip is what slides into the slot milled at the top of the action for rifles like 1903 Springfield's, Mauser's, and others. Clips usually hold five rounds. M-1 Garands also has a clip that holds eight rounds.

All other external ammo holding devices containing springs, which slide into handles or a specific area for them, are magazines.

Shiloh

cajun shooter
02-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I was taught by the gun writers of the 50's and 60's until I was ask to help out the US ARMY in 1965. It was at this time that a group of men that never smiled and yelled at me became my teachers. I was taught that a clip was a metal devise used to fill a magazine or feed rounds directly into the 'WEAPON" as is done with the M1 Garand. A magazine is a detachable box that contains the rounds that the weapon fires. It may be inserted into the weapon completely such as in the 45 Auto or extend from the magazine well such as the M14(weapon used in basic) I still use the word weapon today because of the many push-ups I performed from calling it a "gun". If you ever have to testify in court as I did many times while a police officer after coming home you will find many there very eager to show that you are not smart enough to have owned a gun to defend yourself as you don't the difference between a clip and magazine. NO FACTORY EVER CALLED ANY GUN MADE A 45 LONG COLT EITHER!!!! It was a term used by neophytes when the 45 Schofield came onto the market and they could not pronounce Schofield. Later David

mike in co
02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
NO FACTORY EVER CALLED ANY GUN MADE A 45 LONG COLT EITHER!!!! It was a term used by neophytes when the 45 Schofield came onto the market and they could not pronounce Schofield. Later David

you are gonna have to explain that one to me.

the 45 schofield is the PARENT of the 45 colt. it was not uncommon to use a clarifier in common use of cartridges and so by using the name 45 long colt one was describing the newer longer round based on the 45 scholfield.
so while you are correct, and i have no dog in this fight, me thinks it was a common practice of the time( no i'm not THAT old).

and since you were in the military...yes it was a weapon.

mike in co

MT Gianni
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Everytime someone calls a magazine a clip-God kills a cat.Heard that somewhere,some time back.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

357maximum
02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
well i would join you on this one.......essentially none of my guns are weapons. they are all used for sport...target shooting or matches. IF something requied me to defend me or my property, i would probably choose the closest og my guns. at that time, if someoen chose they could called a selfdefense weapon..........or what it started life as....a GUN!

mike in co

I had to use a 12gauge as a weapon 1 time. My F.I.L and I got attacked by a St. Bernard....that day my normal goose harvesting tool became a weapon for a few seconds. So I gues that means I have only ever fired 3 rounds from a weapon. All my firearms are tools. Tools of sport, pleasure, harvest and wasting time and money, but any can be called upon to be a weopon if need be. I do not consider them weapons though. The act of calling any innocent tool a weapon until it is actually being used as such hurts my brain. I carry a 38snubbie at all times so far it has just been something that hangs on my belt. I hope it never needs to be a weapon. I also do not consider my truck or my screwdrivers weapons although they have been used as such by others. To me "weapon" implies intent and action.

We are all entitled to our opinions and now you know mine.

Mumblypeg
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I had to use a 12gauge as a weapon 1 time. My F.I.L and I got attacked by a St. Bernard....that day my normal goose harvesting tool became a weapon for a few seconds. So I gues that means I have only ever fired 3 rounds from a weapon. All my firearms are tools. Tools of sport, pleasure, harvest and wasting time and money, but any can be called upon to be a weopon if need be. I do not consider them weapons though. The act of calling any innocent tool a weapon until it is actually being used as such hurts my brain. I carry a 38snubbie at all times so far it has just been something that hangs on my belt. I hope it never needs to be a weapon. I also do not consider my truck or my screwdrivers weapons although they have been used as such by others. To me "weapon" implies intent and action.

That's what I'm talking about! And yes, I've used them the other way also. Had to shoot a deer in self defense once... and a few other critters also.

357maximum
03-01-2010, 01:19 AM

I wonder if we could petition God to switch that system to libtard elitist politicians? C'mon God...do it for the kittens.:bigsmyl2:

I SAY CLIP X about 535X[smilie=w:

fatelk
03-01-2010, 01:50 AM
I didn't read through all the pages of this one, but I thought I'd repeat what I was told a while back on the subject (don't know if it's 100% accurate or not, for the record).

It used to bewilder me a little, when I first started frequenting gun forums, the fuss this particular issue would cause. I had an old-timer explain it to me, though, and it really seemed to make sense.

Supposedly, before WWII, it was considered perfectly correct terminology to call a detachable magazine a "clip". With the advent of the M1 Garand and the M1 carbine, however, a potential logistical problem arose. Two totally different rifles, and they had to figure a way so that if a soldier on the battlefield called for a bandoleer of M1 clips, he didn't get carbine ammo, and vice-versa.

The solution, as the story goes, was to absolutely, positively DRILL it into the mind of every GI (at the threat of bodily injury) that you NEVER refer to a spring-loaded box as a CLIP, or a stamped steel clip for a Garand as a MAGAZINE. Your life may depend on your using proper terminology to receive the correct ammunition feeding device for your weapon.

Generations of GIs were so convinced that it was deadly to call a pistol magazine a clip, that it became considered ignorant to refer to one as such, even though in times past it was totally correct and proper.

Yesterday we took out both the carbine and the Garand, and fired a total of one magazine and two clips full of ammunition. I shot off a couple of clips full through the old .45, too.:)

Ed Barrett
03-01-2010, 03:44 AM

I like cats, but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

357maximum
03-01-2010, 03:55 AM

Use the leftovers for coyote trapping bait....they love it. Just don't let your M.I.L come around the woodpile and catch you with a hatchet while you are making bite sized furry coyote/fox trapping bits.......IT gets ugly real fast....and so does the situation.

Jim
03-01-2010, 04:53 AM
I don't think I've seen a thread this entertaining in a very long time.

rhead
03-01-2010, 06:24 AM

But there is not enough to satisfy two. A single cat is a very embarassing thing to bring in after a days hunt. What is the bag limit in your home state?

Taylor
03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
"I wonder if we could petition God to switch that system to libtard elitist politicians? C'mon God...do it for the kittens"

Maybe if we got PETA involved--but of course,most likely there is a law against that too.They mey be on the endangered list,now that could be a good thing.

Lively Boy
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
well I don't post much but have to say, my new ruger mark III calls it a magazine and so does wy wifes walther p22. So I guess thats what I'll call it. as far as 45acp wasn't that a military classification for self-loading? the p22 says it is a semi-automatic and the ruger is an autoloader pistol? hmmm... oh well it has been good reading! I guess I'll go with the saami definitions for now.

jcwit
04-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Does any of this matter in the grand scheme of things? However I do wonder if its a "crick" or a "creek".

Recluse
04-24-2010, 03:28 PM

AGREE!

I have no friggin' use for "black guns." Give me my wooden stock lever actions and bolt actions all day long. Handguns? Give me a wheelgun in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum and I'll show you a boy who fears nothing.

Yes, I know why black guns exist and why double-stacked magazines exist. Been there, done that. But I'm a civilian now and have been for a long, long time. I've played in the tactical world.

Civilian life is not the tactical world. And when civilians try to talk and act tactical, it tends to look a little silly. When those same civilians have never been in the tactical world (ala military or LE), it looks DAMNED silly.

I don't care WHAT you call it--magazine, clip, thingamabob that holds bullets. I know what *I* call them and how *I* refer to various firearms, and beyond that, I just don't care much.

:coffee:

wiersy111
04-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow I guess with all the spelling teachers and grammar Nazi's I will limit my posts on what I thought was a casting, shooting, reloading, and gun site.

JohnH
04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
This is funny. 8 pages over "clip" and "magazine" being most misued terms when likely the most misused term is "gun". Guns are carriage mounted, and with the exception of machine guns, are commonly called cannon except when mounted on a ship. Then it is a gun. If it is fired off the shoulder, then it is a rifle or a shotgun ("Shotgun" likely preexisted the formal nomclemnture we know, but then what else would it be called, a shot rifle? Not hardly). If it is handheld then it is a handgun. (Some insist that any arm for an individual is a handgun, with or without a shoulder stock) If you want a real lesson in this terminology, tell a DI how much you like your gun. You'll find yourself marching around the barracks rifle in one hand, holding your crotch with the other singing, "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one's for fightin' this one's for fun".

But as Recluse says, this is the civilian world. And for the large part, most of us "write it like we'd say it"; and some measure of... shall we say "commonness" is to be expected. But I do think it important that proper nomclementure be known and used coirrectly as much as possible since it is very likely that our next generation of casters, shooters, and gun enthusiests are going to learn as much from the words on forums like this as from anywhere else. Books are rather passe these days.

As to "gun" (or clips for that matter) I think it is kinda like "yonder". If you got the brains to keep up with the conversation, you'll know that what is being talked about is a Remington 700 (or whatever else) and not a 16 incher or a 105. If you can't figure out where yonder is from the conversation, and go wandering off alone, you deserve to get lost.

kentuckycajun
04-26-2010, 11:16 PM
i'm just tired of the tactical nonsense...ray

ditto!!

kentuckycajun
04-27-2010, 12:28 AM

If that's the case, then our "nookelier" weapons aren't really "weapons" until we use them, right? :kidding:
But I'll take G.W.'s pronunciation over B.O.'s (body odor?) anyday, as long as we get to keep'em.
Funny, when G.W. can't pronounce a word, he's a dumb Texas hick - but when 90% of high school graduates make the same mistake, it's called "relaxed standards" or "outcome-based education" by the liberal MSM.

BTW, I've got a "tactical" flashlight if anybody needs to see in the dark...[smilie=b:

lead-1
04-27-2010, 01:40 AM
While I try not to be one of the guys that are mentioned here I do make mistakes, I think. Believe me there are more badder sites out there for trying to figure out. There are two forums that I go to just for the amusement as in,

For Sell vary nice .270 long range mouser tasco 3x9 target scope...

Then there is the race car forum that I go to that is a blast to read at 2 am when all the fans finally get home. I want to yell "you at the computer, put down the beer and step away from the keyboard".

Oh yeah, and trying to read peoples "tex" msgs 2 me.

Harter66
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I read all 8 pages , ate a red apple too.

+1 for the Colts.

Disapointed though , nobody took the lead to the lead to cast ,nor check the riles leade or the horses for that matter. I don't see me in a work shoppe ant time soon a candy shoppe maybe. I love the flavour and colour that comes out on this board when we find an open sore to pick .

I always thought "i.e."was in example, guessing that means"e.g."isn't example given ?

The issue with mags/clips is really more about our American language than nomaclature , the Garand / carbine is the best explanation I've seen for the matter. As demonstraited above American English is screwed up having as many exceptions as rules and spelling oh what a bloody mess. Reed read red read ate 8 through threw draft draught you see what I mean spell check doesn't always help

AZ-Stew
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I read all 8 pages , ate a red apple too.

+1 for the Colts.

Disapointed though , nobody took the lead to the lead to cast ,nor check the riles leade or the horses for that matter. I don't see me in a work shoppe ant time soon a candy shoppe maybe. I love the flavour and colour that comes out on this board when we find an open sore to pick .

I always thought "i.e."was in example, guessing that means"e.g."isn't example given ?

The issue with mags/clips is really more about our American language than nomaclature , the Garand / carbine is the best explanation I've seen for the matter. As demonstraited above American English is screwed up having as many exceptions as rules and spelling oh what a bloody mess. Reed read red read ate 8 through threw draft draught you see what I mean spell check doesn't always help

Nor will it catch the punctuation, capitalization or grammar errors. It WILL catch the ones in bold type, though. :bigsmyl2:

Regards,

Stew

Butler Ford
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for this one.

WallyM3
05-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey.

Hey!

HEY!

What's all this talk about cats?!?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb92/Wally_100/DSC_6986-1.jpg

(Or is it katz?)

Mumblypeg
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I have two forearms, but nothing I would call a forend. My rifles have forends, but no forearms.

Regards,

Stew

I just got my 1894 back from Marlin... they replaced the forearm. Their words not mine. The parts book calls it that also.
"Same difference", If it's different, it's not the same.