PDA

View Full Version : 357 Rossi Sights

shooter37
02-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I have a 357 Rossi "92" carbine that is a fine shooter except for the junk rear sight.
Marbles no longer makes a buckhorn with a .390 dovetail and I don't care for the Skinner ghost ring. I did a search on this web site with no help. Does anyone out there have a source for a buckhorn (semi is OK) or other open style rear sight that will fit this rifle?
Thanks
Al

Pepe Ray
02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I too, have had that problem.
If ANY one is producing them they're keeping it a secret.
My 'red neck' solution is to piece meal the sight using what ever blade you choose.
Grind/drill out the rivit holding the Rossi sight together. Remove the offending blade. The selected sight is then sawed, as close to the d/t as possible. Drill attaching hole. A rivit can be used to re assemble but tappin for a good screw would probably be better.
Replace the Rossi base in the d/t.
Works for me, even tho I much prefer a receiver sight.
Pepe Ray

KCSO
02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Doesn't yours have a plain notch sight? I always thought that sight picture was as good or better than any buckhorn sight. Mine has worn that factory sights since about 1973 and they have never gottten out of order. For plain iron sights that seems pretty good. Brownells has the marbles replacments for the Rossi dovetail ane if you use a filler strip you can put on a folding rear pretty easy.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Yet to be addressed is the barrel band FS becoming loose at some point causing windage errors. BvT

shooter37
02-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the input folks. Brownells no longer carries the Rossi .390 dovetail.
The sights on the rifle work, just don't like them. Pepe Ray I like "Redneck", that's a term of honor here in Texas. I will look at your suggestions. Thanks

RobS
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I used a Marbles rear sight on my Puma 454 casull lever with great success. I also modified one of the fiber optics front sights as well. Here is link to the rear sights. Marbles sights are great quaility (steel) and are made here in the USA.

As for the narrow dove tail all I did was use the strands from a stainles steel cleaning pad (found at Wal-mart in the pots and pan cleaning section) and put that in the dove tail notch of the barrel a few strands at a time then slid the sight in until there was enough of it in the dove tail groove to make a very tight, very solid fit upon starting the sight. I then was able to use a brass punch and drifted the sight in like normal.

This is the rear sight I used since it was a bit wider than the others.......although not a buckhorn, but I like the idea of windage.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=986064

here is a link to all the marble rear sights at midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#marbles rear sights____-_1-2-4_8-16

Hope this will help you out.

KCSO
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
30 years in the back of a car and the F/S has yet to come loose. I did finally last year put on an original style front sight, but I stayed with the square post front. Too many years of target shooting I guess.

NickSS
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I have used metal fillers on many dove tail sights in the past to get them to work. I either use wire or shim stock to take up the extra space. This is especially true of rifles like C Sharps which uses a .450 front dovetail. I am cheap and a front globe sight that costs $30 compared to $100 or more for one that will fit but give me no other advantage is appealing for me. So I have fit many Lyman 17 globe sights with a 3/8 dovetail base into a .450 dovetail using a metal filler. The last one I ground from a nail. I have not had a single problem doing this in over 30 years and seven rifles.