PDA

View Full Version : Reading the spent bullets...

StanDahl
02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
This bullet trap is fascinating to a geek like me. I can’t wait each time to dig out the bullets and see what they look like.

I loaded up 50 rounds of .357 mag with #105, (lot # 71195) last week and launched them downrange today. #105 is supposed to be AA#5 equivalent. I found something interesting when I retrieved the bullets from my (shredded tire) bullet trap. The front driving band was gone because the nose had slumped back, shortening the bullet noticeably. I have never seen this before. I don’t think that this is caused by the shredded tire mulch, because it hasn’t happened with other bullets, and some 358156’s fired at the same time, with different, but top-end loads and similar Bhn didn’t show this. Of course, I could be wrong. I can't remember if I've fired the 358311 into the trap before.
"A" shows an unfired (but not a prime example) of the 358311. "B - D" shows the fired 358311's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/StanDahl/Slumped358311s.jpg

There was no leading, but primers were flattened on all but the lowest loads, with striated impressions of the firing pin bushing(?), or whatever that's called stamped on the primer. The lowest load was put together with the bullet crimped above the driving band, which is the only way to get the 1.590" OAL recommended. Brass dropped right out of the cylinder on the lower end loads, and had to be coaxed out with heavier loads.

.357 magnum R-P nickel plated brass, once fired
358311 RN 0.359” lubed with Felix lube...wheelweights, Bhn 14-15 on my Cabine Tree gizmo
CCI 550 magnum primers
Accurate Arms most recent load data for AA#5, lowest to nearly highest, 8.1 - 8.9 grains
Ruger Blackhawk (3 screw), bore size 0.357.5”

Also interesting was the nearly completely collapsed lube grooves, the severely pounded gas check base, and the lead smeared on the gas check of the 358156’s. (E, F & G) These were similar in hardness, and loaded pretty hot with WC820.

Here are some more retrieved bullets:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/StanDahl/Recycledboolits.jpg

[edit: The 358439 is actually 358430!]

No slumping on the swc's, but they were fired with .38 Special loads. The 358439 does show a bit of slumping, so maybe it's a round nose phenomenon? (Actually the OAL of the fired boolit is only .002" shorter than an unfired one.)

I wasn't sure if the 457125's were going to be able to engrave properly in my Trapdoor's generous bore, but spent boolit analysis back in my ballistics lab shows full engraving all along the length of the bullet. :-D

The biggest pain was a set of brittle Fat 30's that went all the way through the rubber mulch and shattered against the steel plate. They had to be mined to get them separated from the mulch. (Most people would have left them, but I seem to have an obsessive thing going.) On the up side, they were used to win a practice high-power match - Argentine Mauser vs M-14's.8-)

The 439186 was paper-patched and fired in a rolling block with a very fat .446" bore and they still show rifling.

NSP64
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybee they are not slumping, but being smeared back?

TCFAN
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Stan
Would it be possible to post a photo of your bullet trap?

Also the boolit that you have marked as 358439 looks like a round nose.I think a 358439 is a hollow point version of 358429.......Terry

StanDahl
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
NSP64: " Maybee they are not slumping, but being smeared back? "

It could be true. I measured the bullets, and the fired bullets are on average .04" shorter than unfired bullets. This could be from impact with the rubber mulch, except I hadn't seen that even with rifle bullets of the same hardness fired at much faster speed. That made me suspect slumping, but I might have reached that conclusion just because it sounded more interesting than the alternative!

Stan
Would it be possible to post a photo of your bullet trap?

Here's what it looked like a while back, before I mounted wheels (just like the ones on the dolly) and wheelbarrow handles. The target frame helps to keep me from shooting the trap accidentally with unfamiliar loads/sight settings. It's also about 6" shorter than shown here - it was just too heavy at 36" long, and I found that even the 525 gr 457125's loaded full blast with 70 grains of FFg weren't hitting the plate in the back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/StanDahl/Photo_073108_004a.jpg

Also the boolit that you have marked as 358439 looks like a round nose.I think a 358439 is a hollow point version of 358429.......Terry

You're right, it's supposed to be 358430 - oops!

TCFAN
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Neat I really like that trap. I will have to look into building one myself.How much rubber would one that size hold and where would one go to get it?.Terry

StanDahl
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Holy crumb rubber - I already posted something almost exactly like this once before. (I'm not old enough for a senior moment excuse either.) I got excited about the 'slumped' boolits and forgot about the old one.:veryconfu

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23551&highlight=bullet+trap&page=8

This thread was a good one, but it got split up and the one I posted on didn't achieve stickydom.

My trap holds about 8 bags of rubber mulch, which I got at Lowe's. Check out the thread listed above for more info. There's also an undead, can't ever die sticky version of that thread on bullet traps - it's on "Classics and Stickies".

sheepdog
02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Think maybe your boolits aren't lubed good enough or too snug in the barrel.

lwknight
02-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I think that everything is just perfect. My theory is that the boolits are compacting and squeezing out the lube grooves. The front groove goes first as it spreads lube into the bore and the second would follow if your barrel were long enough. The second groove is held open by hydraulic pressure kinds like in a swaging die.
When swaging a hollow point , folks use lube in the grooves to keep the grooves from being wiped out .

Just for grins, try some with lube in the front groove only to see if the rear groove gets squeezed out to fill the void.

Oh I just looked at the picture again. the leading groove is a crimp groove without any lube in it. so that explains it.

jdgabbard
02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
In example D the nose of the 311 is NOTABLY SHORTER then the others, and C looks to be shorter as well. I think there is more at play then just the grooves...

StanDahl
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Think maybe your boolits aren't lubed good enough or too snug in the barrel.

The bore is 0.3575", give or take .0001, and the bullets are sized to .359" on a Lee push-through before being lubed on an RCBS luber at 0.360", so they are only 0.0015" over groove size. The lube is Felix' World Famous Lube, so that can't possibly be the problem!;-)

montana_charlie
02-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice little setup for catching bullets.
I wonder what ever happened to the long box with the cooked rice...
CM

303Guy
02-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Just for grins, try some with lube in the front groove only to see if the rear groove gets squeezed out to fill the void.I think lwknight is dead on. I would suggest removing some lube in two opposing spots to see what happens.

I did see your trap on the other thread but no matter, I had forgotten it. It's flippin' clever! I'm gonna do it too! (With a teensy weensy bit of modification - so's I can use mine in my ... ummm ... suburban back yard! [smilie=1: )