PDA

View Full Version : Casting Ladle question.

Changeling
02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
I asked once before about what was a really good ladle, some one said Rowell and it seems they are the Cadillac of ladles.

So I researched them and the smallest one (#1) holds a lb of lead plus it's weight. That sounds like a heck of a lot, won't it wear one out in a hurry?

Are the Lyman and RCBS ladles any lighter, or they any good. I'll just be ladling bullets up to 300 or so gr. Opinions please.

Marvin S
02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
For me the new Lyman is good as it is tapped for L/H use. You would do fine with the Lyman or RCBS.

GLL
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
I have a three Rowell ladles including the #1 and they are very nice. I especially like the very large #8 for mixing alloys.

For casting I much prefer the RCBS. I shortened the handle rod and bored out the spout hole for faster flow.

Jerry

Changeling
02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a three Rowell ladles including the #1 and they are very nice. I especially like the very large #8 for mixing alloys.

For casting I much prefer the RCBS. I shortened the handle rod and bored out the spout hole for faster flow.

Jerry

GLL , does the # 1 seem to heavy when you are using it, holding a pound of lead and it's weight looks like it would be very tiring or am I just thinking of it wrong?

mooman76
02-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I've never used it but just because it holds 1# doesn't mean you have to fill it. I have a small Lee ladle and I don't fill it all the way when usuing a small mould that doesn't take much.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Rowell ladles are good quality and even the smallest one does not have to be filled to the brim to pour well. RCBS and Lyman bothmake good ladles for the price. I've had one of each for a very long time and neither shows any sign of wear. There is a notion that a ladle has to have teat on it to work and that is not entirely true. H&G multicavity molds were often fed with open ladles that are similar to soup ladles; they had a little spout on them. A common practice for so-called "gang moulds" was to use an open dipper and "pour going uphill". There was some splashing until you got the rythm right and the sprues were usually a bunch of monstrosities, but the bullets were beautifully well cast. LLS

GLL
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know why these holes are in the sides of the Rowell #1 bottom pour “tube” ?
My #4 has it one one side only? My #8 has none !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/4F14A65D13DA01A/orig.jpg

Changeling
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Possibly to let the air/bubbles out of the flow so as not to put voids in the bullets.

Does the #1 not having a longer spout where the lead comes out create a problem?

Dale53
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I have two Rowell ladles but only use them for smelting ingots. There are no "extra" holes in either.

I haven't ladle poured in many, many years but have an original Lyman ladle and it works/worked just fine for the purpose.

I am an inveterate bottom pour man, myself (there are those that would say inveterate should be spelled, degenerate but...

FWIW
Dale53

Hickory
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know why these holes are in the sides of the Rowell #1 bottom pour “tube” ?
My #4 has it one one side only? My #8 has none !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/4F14A65D13DA01A/orig.jpg

Having worked in an iron casting plant for nearly 30 years,
my "professial guess" would be that the mould did not fill out
properly. The turm is called a pour short. and should have been discarded.

Changeling
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
What was the cause? Is it because of bubbles/air or what?

Hickory
02-23-2010, 08:16 AM
What was the cause? Is it because of bubbles/air or what?

Several things could have caused it.
1) The sand core that was used to form the opening for the spout might have been too large and came in contact with the actual mould.
2) If the spout was bored out it could have bored through at those two points.
3) there was not a large enough sprue on top of the mould to create enough pressure for the casting to fill out.

My feeling it is No#3

rob45
02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I asked once before about what was a really good ladle, some one said Rowell and it seems they are the Cadillac of ladles.
I have six Rowell ladles of various sizes from #1 to #7. They have all performed very well for me.

So I researched them and the smallest one (#1) holds a lb of lead plus it's weight. That sounds like a heck of a lot, won't it wear one out in a hurry?
There is a difference between maximum capacity and actual working capacity. "Working capacity" is what you need to know when pouring boolits. If you fill to max capacity, it is harder to maintain control, and you end up spilling a lot. I usually figure about 2/3 capacity- for the Rowell #1, that still gives you over 4000 grns, enough for a 6-cavity 300 grn (+sprue) with one pour. Just as easy to adjust for more or less, too.

Are the Lyman and RCBS ladles any lighter, or they any good. I'll just be ladling bullets up to 300 or so gr. Opinions please.
They all seem to be good. I have never really paid attention to which is lighter or heavier.
I have an older RCBS and it is great.
I also have one of the Lymans and have been somewhat perplexed with it. I purchased it used several years ago at a gun show, and it was in a Lyman box, but I don't think it's actually a Lyman ladle! It is somewhat smaller than others I have seen that I knew were Lyman ladles. Cheap copy from someone else? At any rate it works well.

I do like the Rowells because they allow me to maintain rate of pour as I see fit. But I don't think you're going to make a "bad" choice here, unless it's a quality control issue. All of the various ladle designs have been proven to work well for us; in the end it most likely comes down to what design you tend to prefer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-27-2010, 01:08 AM
The Rowell is the best ladel I have used, BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to team cast when possible, meaning a buddy and I cast One pouring and the other opening molds.

It was the first time for a new partner time before last, and even with that, the two of us cast over 106lbs of bullets in a couple 2 1/2 hour sessions.

Depending on the outside temp, we usually run about 5 molds - 2 to 6 cavity - at a time. I use a good sized castiron cookiing pot on an old Colman gas stove and cast a lot of bullets in a short time.

The Rowell ladel is an important part of this team effort.

This is just personal, but I have tried bottom pour molds a couple of times and they can't even come close to the production levels I desire when casting pistol bullets.

Am in the process of getting set up to begin casting for a 45/70, so that will require some adjustments when that mold is in the lineup.

Single cavity mold producing bullets of hunting quality for ranges of 100yds and beyond will be the goal.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

montana_charlie
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I check eBay on a regular basis for Rowell ladels. I am waiting for a #1 and (perhaps) a #7.
There are long dry spells when no Rowells appear for weeks, but there are three on ebay today. A #3, a #4, and a #6.

They are too big for casting (the topic of this thread) but if you need something for pouring ingots you may want to consider one of them.

That #6 probably holds 12 pounds of lead...

CM

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-27-2010, 10:30 PM
:cbpour:hey montana-charlie, hold off for one of the two man bottom pour ladles and you can go into casting in a real BIG way![smilie=l:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot