PDA

View Full Version : Need a shooting jacket

Jim
02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I need a shooting jacket, of sorts, that has a pad on the LEFT shoulder. I'd prefer something light weight for summer and affordable(read: cheap!). I've been to Midway and Graf and haven't seen anything that suits. Any suggestions, guys?

woody1
02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Check out Cabella's.

I think they've got a lot of vests and prob'ly coats too. What's cheap?
Regards, Woody

Doc Highwall
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
The last shooting jacket I bought was from Champions Choice was a Gehmann and they are going for $190.00. Excellent leather and canvas, sling keeper, and screw in buttons.

sundog
02-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Jim, what size?

Doc Highwall
02-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Jim, I just checked the Champions Choice web site and they have a cloth jacket for $65.00.

markinalpine
02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
PAST makes shields that are ambidextrous, and that can be worn either under or over your own clothing, so you can wear them outside a shirt during warm weather, or under something when it's cooler. Prices go up the thicker and more recoil absorbant they are, but I think they start at around $25.
Mark :coffeecom

Stick_man
02-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Sounds like a great little business idea for somebody with the righ equipment to do it. A nice shooting vest (or shirt or jacket or coat) with a pretty little Cast Boolits logo designed into it. :idea: Or even a shirt (of whichever variety) with the logo silkscreened into it.

Now, if only I had the time, equipment, cash, and know-how to do this. The visions of the final product are pretty impressive.

Dale53
02-21-2010, 01:14 AM
One of the most useful and relatively inexpensive is the surplus Marine Corps shooting jacket. They should have them for both righties and lefties.

http://www.shootingmall.com/

I have not dealt with them, just googled the site.

FWIW
Dale53

c3d4b2
02-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Here is another option.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16135&cat=249&page=1

BruceB
02-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Recently I bought a shooting shirt called the "Evoshield".

This is a compression-type T-shirt with a shoulder pocket for a fiberglas (?) pad, and mine is left-handed. It costs about $70.

The pad arrives in a sealed pouch and is quite flexible. AFTER the pouch is opened and the pad inserted in the pocket, it begins to stiffen with exposure to air. By "working" it for about twenty minutes, it becomes shaped to YOUR body, YOUR guns, and YOUR shooting position. It will take on a permanent shape suited to the way you shoot.

Mine is now shaped for bench shooting with rifles. I think if I also wanted to do a lot of off-hand rifle (or shotgun) shooting, I'd buy another pad for $50. The pads interchange easily. It works very well, not by padding the butt so much, but rather by spreading the impact over a MUCH wider area. The pad thickness is only about 1/4", but what a difference it makes!

I noticed that if I wear this shirt over my bare skin, I soon start to smell like an old boar hog. Wearing it over a cotton T-shirt seems to stop this problem, so that's what I do.

I really like this product. Firing a .30-06 from the bench is like shooting a .223.

Jim
02-21-2010, 09:46 AM
PAST makes shields that are ambidextrous, and that can be worn either under or over your own clothing, so you can wear them outside a shirt during warm weather, or under something when it's cooler. Prices go up the thicker and more recoil absorbant they are, but I think they start at around $25.
Mark :coffeecom

That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Sundog, I'm guessing medium.

HABCAN
02-21-2010, 11:27 AM
My daughter, SIL and I are all lefties, and we really like the surplus USMC coats Dale53 mentioned. GREAT value for the money!!

(If you go for one, order one size larger, cuz they shrink on washing.)

Doc Highwall
02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
The thing with jackets is they have pads for the elbows and the better ones have a strap to hold the sling up when shooting. You can always buy a cheeper jacket and sew your own sling keeper on it.

Jim
02-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, with me having arthritis in my knees and elbows, I won't be doing much prone shooting. I just need something for the bench. I think what I'm gonna do is take a vest I already have to a seamstress and have a pad attached to it.

thanks, fellas.

Doc Highwall
02-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Jim, you could always get one of the PAST shoulder pads and have it sewn into a vest.

Jim
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I just had a member PM with a VERY attractive offer for a slightly used, but nice left handed jacket.
Thanks, fellas!