PDA

View Full Version : Uberti hi-wall

GOPHER SLAYER
02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
The hits just keep coming. Next up is my Umberto-Linguini special. I bought this little jewel from Jon K. Jon had the trigger worked on by somone who did a great job. I already had a HI-Wall in 38.55 but I had shot this rifle before and it is set up better for black powder shooting and it does shoot very well. It has a Shaver mid range rear sight and Lyman front. The rifling twist is 1 in 18 so it will only handle around 310 grn bullits. These were perfect for the buffalo shot we held at our range. That is to say it would knock over the steel target and it had much less recoil than my 45.70. I shot this rifle this past Wed. using .375 Win. brass and 17 grns 4759 powder. It is a pleasure to shot off hand and hear the clang as the lead bullits hit the steel. There isn't much more to say about it but if you have a question, fire away.

doubs43
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
GS, it sounds like a great rifle and one I'm sure you'll be pleased to own.

My Winchester High Wall in 38-55 also has a 1:18 twist. I use the RCBS 312BC mould that drops a 320 grain bullet at .378-.379" that I size to .377". I use Star Line 2.125" brass in which I load 2.5 grains of WW-231 and 32.0 grains of WC-860. The bullet is seated for an OAL of 2.771". My crimp is medium and above the top drive band.

I have no trouble keeping my shots well within a 6x10 inch piece of cardboard at 200 meters. The load will group into 3-4" in most cases when fired from cross sticks.

The load is very consistent at an average of 1319 FPS with a standard deviation of 10 FPS.

Southern Son
02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
I have one in 45/70. I had to get it rebarrelled because it was too slow a twist rate to stabilize boolits suitable for long range work. Other than having a barrel with a slow twist, it has been a great rifle and has beaten many rifles that cost five times as much.

6.5 mike
02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
GOPHER SLAYER, had to wait until I got to the house to make sure you hadn't been in my "toy box". My hiwall is a 30-40 krag, only difference is I have a lee shaver front globe with a level.
Just started working with a 200 gr pp"ed load, I'll see where this one takes me, it does like a 185 lubed & checked boolit though.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
6.5 Mike, I hear that. About two years ago the range master asked me to help a man to sight in his new rifle. When I walked up to his bench , I couldn't believe my eyes. This man had a new C-Sharpes high wall. It was a custom job and it had all the bells and whistles. It had a top quality long range tang sight. The wood was AAA fancy with nickel fore end tip and it was chambered in 30.40 Krag. I have always liked that cartridge but have never owned one. The man had set up his target at 100 yrds instead of 50 like he should have. I got it on paper but we ran out of windage adjustment before we reached the center. He had three boxes of new ammo I shot up two of them. I never wanted to quit. I informed him he would have to move the front sight and he said it's ok I am going to Colorado tomorrow to hunt antelope. It will be allright. I never saw him again and have no idea how he made out.

6.5 mike
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
GS, this is my 4th krag, the others were/are 1898's. The one I still have was 109 in dec. It's a DCM cut down rifle, but was done right, you have to look really close to see where the stock was cut down & reshaped.
I would have to go along with others here, the krag is really a cast user friendly case. Between it & the 30-30 it's a tossup.
Wonder if the fellow got his goat ? Think I would liked a little more time to fine tune the rifle, but that's just me.
38-55 may be my next adventure, I keep reading good things about them here. Besides I don't have a "roller". LOL

GOPHER SLAYER
02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
6.5MIKE, I never saw the man with the high wall again but I doubt that he hit anything with that beautiful rifle. His was not the worst case I saw at the range. One day a gentleman was shooting two benchs from me. His rifle was a .300 Weatherby. I saw he was not picking up his spent cases, so I asked if he reloaded ammo. He said no, that he was the manager of a Honda dealership and he didn't have the time or interest for that matter. He said he was leaving in a few days for Africa. He was going on safari. As I recall he was only shooting at fifty yards. When he was getting ready to leave he brought all his empties over and asked if I wanted them. I took them naturally and passed them on to someone who owned a .300. As was pointed out in an article in the American Rifleman, hunters don't shoot, shooters don't hunt and collectors niether hunt nor shoot. I do love to shoot and have all my life but have no interest in hunting. In my sunset years my interest have settled on large bore single shots rifles and lead bullets. As General Patton said about war "I do love it so".

northmn
02-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Found these comments interesting as I have somewhat dreamed fo getting a 30-40 SS. Felt its design perfect for cast. Can't afford one now, but may be able to later as a few rifles need to go. I have a RB 45-70 that does work for SS work when I develop the loads again.

Northmn

bullshot
02-26-2010, 08:49 AM
I love the single shots also. I have two Uberti's one in 40-65 and the other is a 30-40 Krag. 6.5Mike and I have been sharing notes over the last year on the 30-40. He has a better handle on it than I do. I also have a Pedersoli Hi wall in 38-55,a Quigley Sharps in 45-70, four rollers, a custom built 50-90 sharps and a Lonestar 32-40, a 43 Spanish and an as issued 7mm. Plus some assorted trapdoors. And yes I'm still looking.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Bullshop, I must say you have excellent taste in firearms. I see you live in the northeast where it must be difficult to find a place to let those long range guns stretch out. I think you should think about moving to the southwest.I tell you there is nothing like going to the desert, pick out some distant rock high on the mountain and see if you can hit it with one of your large caliber lead slugs. Few things give me such a high. By the way Bullshot, have you made out your will ? I would like to say I am a very derserving fellow. Korean war veteran, good citizen , NRA life member and all round nice guy. I am telling you all this in case you might need a place to dispose of all those fine single shots. Sorry to say I am not tax deductable.

bullshot
02-26-2010, 04:04 PM
GS
Longest rifle club range in Ct is 200yds. I am happy to be a member. I would be happy to leave my fine firearms to you. If you served in Korea you have a few months on me. I caught the next one Viet Nam. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not planning to go just yet. Key words there are planning to go. I envy you being able to shoot rocks. Can't do that here.

6.5 mike
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
northmn, if you get the chance grab one. I got lucky & got mine from a member here. I've learned so much & enjoyed it more, I think, then years of condum shooting. Be advised, this one lead to a pedersoli sharps & who knows what else. It just never ends. Only other ss I have is a No1 in .223.