PDA

View Full Version : Touch up - re - blueing practices

Lee
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
OK, I just picked up a couple nice shotguns. Used, not abused. They share some small signs of carding off the small rust spots, the finish really doesn't look TOO bad.
What think ye of the practice of pulling the wood, setting the iron in front of the fireplace for a few hours, then "washing" all the blued parts with "XXXXX" re-blueing kit..of course pretty much following their recommended directions.
Anybody tried this? Would this leave a disastrous mottled blued appearance? Or would a carefully done application repair/improve/brighten up the overall appearance of the steel??
These aren't safe queens, just gently(!) used field pieces. I don't have the $$$ or desire to attempt a fulul strip/reblue. Looking for suggestions and opinions.
Thanks..........Lee

S.R.Custom
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Disasterous mottled blue appearance. Big time.

waksupi
02-21-2010, 01:46 AM
The only cold blue I would recommend at the time, is Van's.

Storydude
02-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Sandblast and Parkerize.

You know you want to ;)

EDIT: Or, leave as is. I prefer my "tool" guns to look the part. Small rust spots, dings in the wood, all have a story to tell. Any that I've re-finished I feel bad taking out because they look too good :)

HotGuns
02-22-2010, 12:06 AM
I do it all the time and I use "Vans" cold blue.

Just make sure the surface is smooth with no rust. I use the gray "Scotchbrite" pads for this.

Most of the time there is no need to take it to bright metal unless the rust is really on there.

I usually use Alcohol to clean the barrel after I have used a pad on it and then use a cleaning patch blotted with the Vans to go over it.

It does a great job and it usually matches pretty well. It dosent affect the old blueing at all and in most cases it really improves the overall look of the gun.

leftiye
02-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Where does one get - Van's cold blue (never heard of it)? If it works better than Oxpho blue, I vant sum.

waksupi
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Where does one get - Van's cold blue (never heard of it)? If it works better than Oxpho blue, I vant sum.

Google is your friend.

http://www.vansgunblue.com/

44man
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
If you just want to touch up, Oxpho-blue is the way to go as it will not remove existing blue.
Most cheap kits will remove the blue around the spots you touch up.

leftiye
02-26-2010, 09:55 PM
'Supi - Thanks, got in touch with them, and got sum (on the way). 44man, I've had oxpho blue really mess up at least one S&W.

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
ive had good luck with oxpho. it takes some time to get it to match the rest of the gun but it can be done and its very durable.

Lee
02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Got my Van's today. Now to set aside some time and materials, and go at it....Lee
I'll let you know how it turns out.....