PDA

View Full Version : My son called me a crook!

Freightman
02-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Had decided to sell or trade off my Rossi LSI Puma in 45 colt as I had put 1500 rounds through it with good results and I was board to tell you the truth. Now I wasn't wanting to give it away so I put it at my sons table and put $575 on it and told him if anyone offered $450 take it. I went walking and saw a man carrying a M39 SKY and a Remington 03A3, what he wanted for the 03 he said $500, well I didn't have but $10 on me and the bank account is almost that low I said are you up for a trade? Yes but I am looking for a cowboy action rifle! so I took him to the table and opened the box and he said that is what I want. He said is it a trade! I hesitated a second and said yes, he handed it to me and I handed the box and rifle to him. He must have had it for awhile as he said I got it from the DCM and it has been awhile since it was called that. Said he had never fired it since he got it.
What do you think Am I A Crook?
I would put up some pictures but I am to the limit and do not know how to get rid of the old pictures, if you know how please tell me and I will post pictures.

skeet1
02-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Your son is wrong. A gun is worth what someone will give you for it.

Skeet1

Storydude
02-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Had decided to sell or trade off my Rossi LSI Puma in 45 colt as I had put 1500 rounds through it with good results and I was board to tell you the truth. Now I wasn't wanting to give it away so I put it at my sons table and put $575 on it and told him if anyone offered $450 take it. I went walking and saw a man carrying a M39 SKY and a Remington 03A3, what he wanted for the 03 he said $500, well I didn't have but $10 on me and the bank account is almost that low I said are you up for a trade? Yes but I am looking for a cowboy action rifle! so I took him to the table and opened the box and he said that is what I want. He said is it a trade! I hesitated a second and said yes, he handed it to me and I handed the box and rifle to him. He must have had it for awhile as he said I got it from the DCM and it has been awhile since it was called that. Said he had never fired it since he got it.
What do you think Am I A Crook?
I would put up some pictures but I am to the limit and do not know how to get rid of the old pictures, if you know how please tell me and I will post pictures.

CLick "UserCP" in the upper left corner of the forum.
Scroll to the bottom left side and click"attachments"
Select the oldest, and click the delete button.

45-70bpcr
02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd say you got the better end of the trade but that doesn't make you a crook. As long as you were both happy with the deal that is what counts. If you were a crook you wouldn't care what anyone else thought. Enjoy your 03a3.

JesterGrin_1
02-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I have to agree if both of you are happy with the trade that is all that counts. Sure maybe the person could have got $500.oo for the O3 but how long would it take him to do so also how long would he have to look for a Lever Gun that he would like. So really when you take the time and expense for all of this to take place it was a good deal for both parties. :)

Freightman
02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
That is true and my son was giving his dad a hard time as I give him, sons are for fun anyhow.

roverboy
02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like a good'un. Like everybody else says, as long as you both were happy.

Doc1
02-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Hmmm. Mebbe I'm a crook. I picked up a late numbered Springfield 03 a couple of years ago that had been flooded in Katrina. The rifle looked rough, as it hadn't been cleaned since the storm and had a light coating of dried mud. I knew I was taking a chance, since I had no idea what I'd uncover under the mud. I spent an afternoon cleaning it. The arsenal parkerizing had preserved everything well and there was barely any rust on the rifle...except in the barrel and a little on the bolt. The bore was rough but - with a lot of elbow grease - I managed to get it into shootable condition. I also swapped out the original bolt (which I still have) with a NOS swept-back surplus bolt from Sportsman's Guide that set me back $29.95. Fit and headspace is excellent.

The old rifle is pretty accurate, too.

I paid $80 for it :-)

Best regards
Doc

Duckiller
02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Children just don't understand about guns and shooting supplies. Not until they are at least 45 or have gone through a couple of shortages. Mine (29 & 31) think I have too much lead and I barely have 500 lbs, if that much. They now see the wisdom of buying large numbers of primers, but nothing else. With time will come knowledge. #2 son thought it is funny that I bought an AK47 so I could shoot cheap surplus ammo.

schutzen
02-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Definitely you are a crook and feeling guilt pains. As an honest shooter, I can not let you suffer like this. You wanted $450 for your Puma 45LC so I will pay you the $450 and you can ship to me at your expense the 03. You will feel absolved of all guilt.

Now for the truth, both of you were happy with the trade. It was not a good deal, it was a great deal for both of you. Happy shooting!

PS The Greek HXP .30-06 from CMP works well in the 03.

msp2640
02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
His son is probably saying the same thing....He was probably into the A3 for 150-200 if it's a DCM gun and he traded even for a "broken in" 45 lever gun that he wanted. Win/ Win for both. I love the 03's and the A3's, every now and then you can still score on those, much more so than most US military arms - Hope it shoots great for you. I hope that sling is original US and came with it as well, that alone would be worth 100 or so - Bill L

DLCTEX
02-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Looks like a win-win. Let us know how it shoots.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
While it's not quite the same as a gun show deal, I sometimes see my gun club's members lo-balling their recently deceased friend's widows and family members and relieving them of a great many shooting items.

They are not Christian, not ethical, and certainly are despicable, and I sure turn away from them. They would do the same to me and my family in this and other things too. I can't imagine this happening among the men of my father's generation, that I grew up shooting and learning with. They would have shown honesty without question and more likely generousity.

BvT

Storydude
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
We are but caretakers of these fine tools. Wifey knows whom what is supposed to go to.

madsenshooter
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
In the latter part of the DCM days, Garands were going for $185, so I don't imagine an 03/A3 was quite as much. So he didn't have much in it. If he didn't bother to research the present value, that was his problem. As as he was satisfied with the trade, then a good deal it was. That looks to be an awfully long sling, sure it isn't off a trapdoor?

Tazman1602
02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
After seeing those pics I have come to the conclusion you are NOT a crook............but the other guy was a DUMMY.

That is NICE! I've got a couple of 03's and an 03-A3. The ONE 03 I've got that still hasn't had the stock chopped up or had the numbers run from a bad buffing job is a low number (103.xxx) so I'm scared to shoot it as these low numbers had heat treating issues.

GROAN!!

NICE CATCH!!!!!!!

Three44s
02-22-2010, 02:57 AM
A grown man made you an offer.

Since you were interested in what he offered ......... you'd been a fool to not accept it .......... was it your job to up the other guy's ante? That would have been called "two fools meeting"!

Good job ....... enjoy your new hardware without remorse!

Three 44s

S.R.Custom
02-22-2010, 03:45 AM
"Crook" is such a strong word... But you definitely stole it. ;)

madsenshooter
02-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Taz, your low numbered Springfield was given basically the same heat treatment as a Krag, but had better steel and two locking lugs. So just keep your loads at around 40,000CUP or 47,000PSI and have fun with it. As a whole the failure rate was very low and was usually associated with greased bullets or shooting 8mm ammo in the rifles. Or if you don't want to shoot it, sell it to someone who will, me!

bohokii
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
i'm confused you wanted $575 for your rifle he wanted $500

sounds like he ripped you off

Char-Gar
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
When two fellows work a swap and both walk away happy, that is a good dayand a good trade for both. Dollars and cents don't matter much.

smokemjoe
02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
When the next gun show in Amarrilo, I am comming down in 2 weeks.