PDA

View Full Version : Gas check size specs

joecool911
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Hornady lists their 45 caliber gas check from .451 to .458. I am buying a mold for .460. Can I use the Hornady gas checks? Or do I need to get custom ones?

PatMarlin
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi Joe,

Welcome to cast boolit heaven... :drinks:

I would think it depends on the actual size of your mold's check shank. Hornady may be tight. Gator checks would probably be a good bet in the 45 cal "Rifle Version", but I can't give you a definite on that. I'm sure others will chime in.

I have yet to start on my 45cal version of my Checkmaker™ dies. I have a feeling it will most likely accomodate the same spread as Hornady claims, as I'm easily able to get that number spread in my 30 caliber dies.

paborn
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
If it ever gets made, I've got a 460350 mold coming from NOE that is for gas checked bullets, and I've wondered if the Hornaday 45 gas checks will work with them. I'll be using a .460 sizing die. The gas checks mike .460-.461 so I wonder if they will crimp on in the .460 sizer. Looking at the specs for the shank on the 460350, I also wonder if they will fit in the Hornaday check. I would think that when the molds were spec'd that this would have been taken into account. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the molds to find out. Maybe Gator checks? I don't know the dimensions on these. Does anyone know if they start out greater than .460?