PDA

View Full Version : M67-89 Bedding

mech481
02-20-2010, 04:26 AM
I have been working up some loads in my swedish rolling block full military trim 8x59RD ( M67-89 )using the 8mm karabinar sized to 325 my groove size is 324 the problem I am haveing is vertical stringin, I would assume that it is a bedding issue but there is not much room to move with the full military wood and the way it is mounted has anyone else run into this problem and come up with a cure.

Dutchman
02-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Take your barrel bands off and shoot it again. I've seen where the barrel bands on the 1889 interfere. Give it a try. Costs nothing.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/8x58rd.html

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1889sporter.html

Dutch

mech481
02-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Certainly worth a try I have tried a bit of packing under the barrel in a couple of places to see if that helps but to no avail, I have noticed that the nose cap is very tight and does not allow any movement of the barrel, I would be a bit reluctent to ream it to give a little clearance as it is a rifle in very good collectable condition, have you noticed if they are all tight or do some have a little clearance on the barrel at the nose cap. Dutchman I have just been looking at your web sight particularly the scope mounts you certainly are putting in a lot of development there.

Dutchman
02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Wood, being an imperfect and natural medium cannot be made consistent to the point of perfection. Thus you'll have two rifles with exactly identical features, stocks, barrels, etc, but that shoot differently due to differences in bedding and forces on the barrel.

Your m/1889 stockwood, arctic birch, was cut and carved into a rifle stock anywhere from 1892 to 1896, roughly. While I'm sure the wood has stablized it is still susceptible to atmospheric influence, i.e. swelling, warping, shrinkage due to moisture absorbtion and/or dehydration in your less-than-Scandinavian climate.

A possible answer might be procuring a spare upper band and relieving it to better suit the rifle and leave the original alone.

Some very slight relieving of the stock via very light sanding using fine sandpaper wrapped on a dowel may also provide some degree of improvement. I would use linseed oil on any raw wood exposed from this though.

LER mounts - yes.. seems I've found my groove:).

Dutch