PDA

View Full Version : what BHN for Rifle with & with out GC

Ford SD
02-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok i have been casting about 15 years and shot only pistol without gc & rifle with gc bullets. RCBS & Lyman Molds

When i started casting I purchased the RCBS Cast bullet Manual and heat treated all of my bullets only get leading in 40S&w (working on that prob)

Thinking about it recently as i just started casting for a 44 mag in rifle and reading reloading books and thinking about it more.
How much heat treating do i really have to do, just trying to reduce work and have more fun!:)

1) Could I cast from pure lead size and put a gc on a 30 cal bullet and get no leading? same mold using for years velocity less than 2000 fps?
not saying i'm going to do it just asking if it could be done with 5-8 BHN
because if i can be done why am i heat treating range lead ??

2) can i cast a 30 cal bullet using range lead, 14-16 BHN and put a gas check on it and shoot it velocity less than 2000 fps? and get no leading ?

3) can i cast a 30 cal bullet using range lead, 14-16 BHN and then heat treat it to 20-35 bhn and forget about the gas check ,shoot it velocity less than 1900 fps? and get no leading no gas check?

am I thinking about it too much? as info i have for 44 mag 200g that have no gas checks for a vel of 1700 fps but books never tell of leading

Have not have a chance to get to the range with the 44 mag, but with the 308 150g HT gc can shoot 50 rounds one after the other and have no leading

Cleaning lead out of a pistol barrel is bad--> very much want to avoid it in a 20-26 inch rifle barrel

Thank very much in advance to any replies:mrgreen:
Ford SD

Sorry for all the questions all at once
But once you get a idea you have to let/get it out!

Lloyd Smale
02-21-2010, 05:57 AM
theres to many other variables to factor in. Like the condition of your bore the size of your bore compared to the size of your bullet. the burning rate of your powder. The type of lube you use. the style of bullet even the choise of primers can effect leading. For the most part 2000 fps is a lofty goal for someone who has to ask. Id start at about 1500 and you will have alot less trouble.

anachronism
02-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I do have a couple of suggestions.
First, I believe everyone should experiment, using the materials they currently have on hand. You just might discover something new. It happens all the time around here. I'd suggest working up from where you are, with the materials you want to use. You'll likely need to switch powders a few times, but that's part of the fun of experimentation.

Second, leading isn't really that bad to clean out, you might try using the "Search" function & see how the guys around here are doing it. There are some major shortcuts to a clean bore, and the information is readily available. Leading is a normal byproduct of the cast bullet experimentation process and you should consider learning how to deal with it effectively early in your experiments.

I do agree with Lloyds post entirely.

Maven
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
"2) Can i cast a 30 cal bullet using range lead, 14-16 BHN and put a gas check on it and shoot it velocity less than 2000 fps? and get no leading ?"

3) "Can i cast a 30 cal bullet using range lead, 14-16 BHN and then heat treat it to 20-35 bhn and forget about the gas check ,shoot it velocity less than 1900 fps? and get no leading no gas check?"

Ford SD,

The answer to #2 is yes, but only if the CB fits the bore and you use a good lube.

#3 is a provisional yes, assuming bore fit and good lube. However, shooting CB's without gas checks has given mixed results. You'll need to keep the velocity at 1,400fps or less and use a pistol powder such as Hodgdon Clays (6 - 8grs.) or Alliant Unique (7 - 9grs.). Please remember that sometimes a CB design will shoot poorly even when using a gas check.

Ford SD
02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
"2) Can i cast a 30 cal bullet using range lead, 14-16 BHN and put a gas check on it and shoot it velocity less than 2000 fps? and get no leading ?"

I purchased a RCBS 165 sil mold 30 cal and have cast up 500 bullets air cooled and going to try it with GC and pistol powder just got top punch Friday .:cbpour:

thanks
Ford SD