PDA

View Full Version : BB -vs- GC without the check

TREERAT
02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
will a gas check design bullet without the check instaled shoot as well as a bevel base bulllet?

looking at a lee .430 300g fngc, but want to skip the gas check. been shooting 240g bbswc.

the reason for the 300g is its longer and will still have more length still in the cylinder as it enters the forcing cone. I think it would help. this gun has the longest cone I have ever seen. plus I think the nose shape would help also.

please give your opinions!

Jack Stanley
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth , this past summer I was trying to get a bevel based "cowboy" mold to run one one groups from my carbine . I also wanted the same load to shoot well from a four inch service revolver at the same distance ( thirty yards ) .

Handgun groups were not so much of a problem as trying to make the bevel base bullets work from the carbine . So , just to check and see if the carbine was wrong , I tried some LBT bullets with gas checks that I'd proved in another identical carbine . Basically , I emptied the magazine into one ragged hole using an LBT one eighty-five grain design . Feeling better about the carbine I started trying loads with the heavy bullet without the gas check . It didn't take very long at all to get much better results than I'd been getting with the lighter bevel base bullets .

I believe you can make your heavyweight work but like anything else , it's a matter of working with it and keeping the change to the load that help . The reason I think you may get good results from your heavy bullet is because I already had similar results in a smaller caliber . The load I was after would be a plus "P" type for the thirty-eight case but the ammo is marked as such and I only use them in "magnum" guns anyway .

Who knows what you can do if you tune your lead , lube and load to the velocity you want . The guys that shoot plain base bullets get them going without to much trouble , I'm sure you can too .

Jack

bobthenailer
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
i have alot of bevel base bullets that shoot extreemely well & i also regulary shoot gas ghecked bullets without the gas ck with excellent accuracy under 1,100.. fps in rifles & revolvers

Newtire
02-24-2010, 12:36 AM
A guy I used to work with got into the bullet making business and his specialty was bevel based moly coated bullets. I bought 1000 in .44 and shot them in my .44 Ruger SBH and my Marlin .444. They shot very well even at .444 speeds. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.