PDA

View Full Version : Home-made mould handles idea

Brick85
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been wishing for a set of those Cabine Tree locking mould handles, but money is tight. I'm wondering whether, with some welding and forging, it might be possible to make a locking mould handle from a pair of vice grips, or from one of those vice grip locking C clamps? Obviously I'd have to be careful about over-tightening it, but aside from that, is there any reason it wouldn't work?

Buckshot
02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
............I wouldn't see any reason why not, so long as you have a way to hold them (in your hands).

.............Buckshot

Brick85
02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Ah, yeah, you'd have to insulate them or they'd get pretty hot, right?

Brick85
02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I guess another issue would be the play in the jaws. You'd probably want something that would line up the halves of the mould with good repeatability for good casting, right? Or would the mould (I'm thinking of Miha moulds) take care of that, with the pins? Would a somewhat sloppy handle wear on the mould over time?

jdgabbard
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
I really don't see the need for locking handles... Sound like just another step in the way of producing good boolits... I'll stick with the handles I've got.

Brick85
02-20-2010, 11:59 PM
From what I understand, the more consistent pressure of locking handles gives more consistent boolit weights, because the halves compress the same way each time. I've never tried locking handles, so I don't really know.

jdgabbard
02-21-2010, 06:52 AM
I use plain jane handles, and I usually get my boolits within .5g On a 150-190g boolit I say thats well under what the standard is... I've have store bought bullets that are not on the money that much...

Shiloh
02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
What are mold handles??:kidding:

Shiloh

50calshooter
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I bought a set of the Cabine Tree locking mould handles and am very happy. I find it easier to hold cause its a single handle when you drop bullets and have to tap the mold to drop the bullet. Also I'm using 4 cavity Saceo molds so take that into consideration. I'm gonna buy a second set when money permits. Also sold my LBT and Saceo testers on ebay and bought his and it is the best lead tester I've every used. David

l-weinrich
02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I welded extensions on the jaws of a pair of vise grips to fit an RCBS 35 cal mould, works great, no more out of round. I am careful when closing the mould and I like the fact I can work without as much fatigue. My hands are wore out from pulling wrenches all my life.

Brick85
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the fatigue on the hands is probably another good reason to do this. When I've got work, my thumbs tend to get sore from wrestling stuff into place and holding it there while I fumble for the tools with the other hand.

RP
02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
constant presure or the same everytime what about a spring would make it a pain to hold them open but just another thought.

largom
02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
When you get old and have arthritis in your hands you will find the Cabine Tree handles are great.

Larry