PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dripomatic goes nuts.

Crash_Corrigan
02-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I have two Lee 4-20's One is a vetern relegated to melting alloy for the main casting pot and is located on a higher shelf where I can channel the hot alloy down a chunk of channel steel into the casting pot and I know it is the right temperature.

The second or casting pot is a newer model...maybe 4 years old and the other one is 16 yrs old. Today I was casting some HP's in Mihec's new 503 .44 Cal mold and I was happily going along getting excellent results from the get go.

What a pleasure to use. With an about full pot of 775 degree alloy the plunger rod that controls the flow decided to lose the hole. Now I had a solid stream of molten alloy flowing into the cast iron ash try under the spout and I could not get it stopped.

Luckily I had a half dozen of those handy cast skillet ash trays handy and I just loaded them up one at a time and decanted the cool ones into a carton and kept on dropping the level alloy until it was dry. Finally I could see the hole and inserted the rod into the hole and the flow was over.

When I got done I had ash trys all over the table. To my dismay one of them was resting against a tiny bottle of Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube and of course the plastic melted and now I have a nice coating of Sprue Plate lube all over the kitchen table. Good thing I no longer have a SWMBO to go into a fit.

I salvaged some of it but almost the whole tiny container is wasted. What a heresy against the casting gods. It is a good thing that I have another small container and two almost full bigger ones that I have been using for the last year or so.

I do hafta say that the MIHEC mold is the BOMB. Great boolits from the get go and really easy to use with the cabin tree locking mold handle. NOTICE ALL YOU SNIPERS...I AM USING HANDLES, WEARING GLOVES AND ALL THE APPROPRIATE SAFETY GEAR INCLUDING A LEATHER APRON ETC. I am being careful to place the empty mold on a piece of 2 x 4 to line everything up prior to closing this mold. Lubed with Bullplate Sprue Lube this thing is producing excellent boolits. I am using a soft alloy of about 30-1 for SD loads for my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.

That is one nasty gun. Strictly business and accurate but with 6.5 gr of Unique under a 256 gr Mihec boolit it kicks like a mule on steroids. I am going to have to tame this baby down and play with smaller amounts of powder to achieve a pleasant load to shoot that still will expand these boolits.

I can see a lot of milk jugs with water and soaked telephone books in my future until I can fine tune this boolit with an appropriate load for this lightweight gun.

Right now even wearing a glove this thing really hurts and is no fun to shoot. Maybe I should start playing with some Holy Black for this little beast. If I miss the target I can escape the scene in a cloud of white smoke and confound the BG.

cheese1566
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
You cast in the kitchen?

GP100man
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Crash can do that he has no SWMBO , I have 1 & she fusses `bout smeltin on the porch!!!

& when I get a new mold & when I get a new gun & when I - - - - - - - -

Frozone
02-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Crash can do that he has no SWMBO , I have 1 & she fusses `bout smeltin on the porch!!!

You need a new SWMBO. But then this would fuss even more ;-)

Digger
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM

Leave the seat up? ....:shock:

cheese1566
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I am just jealous...I once recall being able to clean my guns and rifles on the kitchen table...those were the days!

Mk42gunner
02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Dang Crash,

So wouldn't that be the product improved Dripomatic- the Full Flowomatic? That didn't really sound like fun.

I think I will bend a piece of 1/2" copper to fit between my spout and an old metal coffee can on the floor. It may be cheap insurance, and it would be a lot easier to hold a piece of tubing with pliers than to switch out ingot molds on the fly.

Robert

cheese1566
02-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I like the copper tube idea. I plan on making one this weekend out of some scrap.

Lively Boy
02-20-2010, 08:17 PM
good grab on the ingot molds sorry about the lube!!!

Echo
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I am using a soft alloy of about 30-1 for SD loads for my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug.

That is one nasty gun. Strictly business and accurate but with 6.5 gr of Unique under a 256 gr Mihec boolit it kicks like a mule on steroids. I am going to have to tame this baby down and play with smaller amounts of powder to achieve a pleasant load to shoot that still will expand these boolits.

I used to load for a friend who had a Smith 29. Loaded 4M & 44Specials, the Mag stout, the Specials not so much. Then she bought a Bulldog and loaded some of my my sorta stout loads. She was not one to complain, but she gave the gun a name - "Try Again". I loaded some milder, standard 44S loads for her to use in that gun, and she was back in the fold.

And a chum carried one as a night watchman. He was a shooter, and reloader, but just bought one box of factory ammo, knowing he would probably never run out. Snipers, he really didn't need the practice. He was a well-known shooter, holder of some records, and knew what was what.

AZ-Stew
02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I caught my free-flowing alloy using ingot moulds, but it wasn't a fun event. To make matters worse, once I got the pot full again and started stirring the mix, the same thing happened AGAIN! That pot, with the loose metering rod and the ridge around the spout on the inside of the pot is a dangerous thing. Once the metering rod gets up inside the pot, there's no putting it back until the pot's empty. A person MIGHT be able to weld onto the metering rod a handle rod that protrudes above the pot so there's something to grab hold of when this happens. You might be able to get the metering rod back in the hole using it. My solution was a bit more expensive. I set the almost brand new Lee 20 pounder aside and got out the plastic. Midsouth had a new RCBS pot in my hands within a few days. I still need to send the Lee back to Lee accompanied by a nasty-gram.

Regards,

Stew

Jim
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Yup, my 4-20 started that last weekend. 'Cept mine wasn't a drip-o-matic, it was a constant flow. I chucked it the trash.

AZ-Stew
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Dang Crash,

So wouldn't that be the product improved Dripomatic- the Full Flowomatic? That didn't really sound like fun.

I think I will bend a piece of 1/2" copper to fit between my spout and an old metal coffee can on the floor. It may be cheap insurance, and it would be a lot easier to hold a piece of tubing with pliers than to switch out ingot molds on the fly.

Robert

Robert,

Be careful with this. The copper tube will act as a heat sink and almost instantly cool the flowing alloy. When enough of it accumulates (I'd guess 1-2 seconds) the tube will be plugged and the remainder of the flow will quickly fill the tube and begin overflowing.

Regards,

Stew

Mk42gunner
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Robert,

Be careful with this. The copper tube will act as a heat sink and almost instantly cool the flowing alloy. When enough of it accumulates (I'd guess 1-2 seconds) the tube will be plugged and the remainder of the flow will quickly fill the tube and begin overflowing.

Regards,

Stew

Stew,

I got to thinking about that myself. I think I will try the copper with a set of vice grips clamped to it, and do a test run. If it doesn't work, I may just put my pot closer to the edge of the bench and use a thirty cal ammo can under the spout.

I use a couple of drywall screws to secure the pot to the bench, so there are no worries about it tipping if this should happen.

I just don't like the idea of almost twenty pounds of molten lead flowing uncontrollably.

Robert

cajun shooter
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Close to two years ago the very same thing happened to me. I notified Lee and told them that this was a very unsafe set up and they should have the design dept look at it closer. I told them that I was not going to file a suit but that they have people who would do so very fast. They sent me a new pot with no answer to my letter. I sold the pot NIB and purchased my RCBS Pro Melt and have enjoyed casting like it should be. "WORRY FREE"