PDA

View Full Version : Largest Caliber

phatman
02-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Hello All,

What is the largest caliber that you can get factory made dies to fit?
I'm looking for calibers from 50 on up.

Personally I'm building a 20 ga. Hellboy and I want to make my own 600 Nitro bullets for it.
I do think that this is going to require some hydraulic power, cant see a lever doing bullets this big.

Cheers
John

ANeat
02-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Most dies I know of are pretty much made to order. As in tell them (the die maker) the size and style of bullet and they make it.

If its a lead bullet a die set is much less expensive. If jacketed it would be a lot of bucks and possibly a long wait.

The commercial hyd setups advertise up to a 1" diameter bullet can be swaged. The bigger manual swage presses all seem to be able to do 50cal jacketed. If the 600 bullet was more of a RN or FN a manual press might handle it

Ammosmith
02-18-2010, 08:21 PM
25mm can be made on my press.

rbt50
02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
i make .510 bmg and .700 dia jacket bullets on a hyd press.
i dont think i would last very long making them on a manual type press.

phatman
02-19-2010, 01:56 AM
That Corbin Mighty Mite is a beast!
Damn nice press.

I do not want to go into selling bullets, just making some of the big odd sizes for some freinds and my self.
I could resize 600 nitro bullets for the Hellboy but the 600 nitro bullets cost about 4 bucks apiece, just not cost effective.

This is a long term project as it takes months to get the brass for it and the Encore Pro Hunter that I'm using needs to be modified to handle the recoil.

Thanks