PDA

View Full Version : MountainMolds options

danny.k
02-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I`m about to place my first order on a custom mold from Mountain Molds and would like to know(as in see) the difference between the two types of sprue-hinge.
Stud and locknut vs screw and setscrew....:veryconfu

BABore
02-18-2010, 02:26 PM
The stud and locknut is just what it says. A threaded stud protrudes from the top of the mold block. The SP goes on next, then a locknut. The locknut is crimped down at the top and is supposed to keep it from backing out. Doesn't work very well IMO as all three molds I have in this style constantly loosen up. I finally double nutted them to prevent this.

While I haven't seen Dan's "screw and set screw", I would imagine that it's similar to most other molds in that it uses a shoulder bolt and wave washer, with a set screw bearing perpendicular to the screw axis.

danny.k
02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
So... screw and setscrew it is then.

02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I have both types of MM sprue plate hinges. While I can see how the locknut could loosen over time- I've never had it happen. Dan uses a regular type locknut with the nylon insert.

With any sprue plate hinge system- it's important to keep it adjusted properly and to lube it occassionally with something like a dab of Bullplate or 2cycle oil or ATF or something similar. Doesn't take much as the lube migrates when heated. I use a toothpick or a Q-tip without the fuzz. That tiny amount of lube will help keep the bearing surfaces of the plate, washer, nut and mold block all lubed to reduce friction and reduce the chances of loosening the nut. If my molds are like others... then during the course of use- heating and cooling- once in a while, I have to adjust the plate tension as I cast. The locknut system seems easier and quicker to fine tune the plate tension than the set screw system. I imagine that if the locknut wears out then hardware stores carry them in most all sizes and varieties.

danny.k
02-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Swift replies, very nice.
But :veryconfu

Seems like it doesnt matter much then....
I`ve only been casting for a year or two and only got 2 molds. Both are R.D. molds made by Lee(2cav), so my experience is rather limited.
Just had to ask, better safe than sorry you know;).

shooting on a shoestring
02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Gotta love this site.

bobthenailer
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
i have the stud & lock nut on my 2 mountian moulds and have never had any problem with them ive made around 3,000 bullets on each mould. bob

stubshaft
02-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I prefer Dans screw and setscrew option. Just a personal preference.