PDA

View Full Version : Lubsizer, make me a believer, i dare ya!

sheepdog
02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Ok so I pan and tumble lube and have Lee sizers for the occasions when I need to resize. Its ok but I hear how great the lubsizer and star sizers are. Well prove it! ;)

1.) How much is a lube sizer going to put me back?

2.) Can you briefly explain how it works?

3.) How many boolits can me sized and lubed in a hour?

4.) Why hasn't Lee made some cheaper version of it? n:-P

ANeat
02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
The price is the hard part but well worth it. Consider it an investment. If you take good care of it it will hold its value real well. Probably approx $300.00 by the time you have a few dies and everything ready to roll

Watch a couple videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXVcz3RxsY

Ben
02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm a fan of the Lee sizer dies and pan lubing also. I have lube sizers but that is not the ONLY way of doing things, works very well ....just slower.

I won't try and convince you of anything, I'll respond to your questions however.

1.) How much is a lube sizer going to put me back?
Used Lyman $75 - $120 depending on condition.
Star 2 X - 3 X that used.

2.) Can you briefly explain how it works?
The device will push the bullet down into a sizing die
( your choice of dia. ) and force lube into the lube
ring (s) of the bullet under hydraulic pressure.

3.) How many boolits can be sized and lubed in a hour?

200 - 300 bullets per hr.- - maybe more by someone with a lot of practice.

4.) Why hasn't Lee made some cheaper version of it?

Good question, they have semi - cornered the market on the tumble lube design right not. Possible that they are happy with that small niche. They could certainly make a lube sizer and knowing them, it would work well and be priced considerably cheaper than the competition.

Shiloh
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Saw a Lyman 450 in great shape for $75 at a gunshow. Had a few sizer dies as well. Didn't come with a Lyman .452 die. I bought that one for $10. Bought a set of used Lyman doble cavity handles as well.

They show up as gunshows when you AREN'T looking:sad:

SHiloh

sheepdog
02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Why I ask is it seems like lubesized boolits have lube in the groove that stay put like a commerical cast often does. Pan lubed the groove are hit or miss.

dromia
02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Thats what I use them for, mainly lubing my boolits as I usually size to as cast.

I've never been really successful at pan lubing, good luck to those that have, so this is the best way I know of getting my chosen lubes into the grooves, I do use them for sizing too when the need occurs and seat gas checks at the same.

If I'm sizing for real accuracy then I'd gas check and lube on a lubsizer and size on a push through. Buckshot will make them to any size you want along with lubsizers H&I dies.

I have two Lyman, three RCBS and a Vickers on my bench all carrying different lubes.

Springfield
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
A Star can do 1000 an hour if you get the bullet feeder. The other reason I like to use my sizer is that I KNOW all the bullets are the right size. I am a pretty good caster but in spite of that once in a while I get some that are larger than the others, like maybe I got a spot of lead in between the mould faces and before I catch it I cast a few bullets. I am NOT going through a thousand bullets and measure them all to catch a few strays. As to which sizer you get, it sorta comes down to which do you have more of, time or money? If you cast with a single cavity mould, and load on a single stage press the Lyman/RCBS sizer will probably do you just fine. If you like 6 cavity moulds and you have a progressive press than maybe you are a good candidate for the Star. I don't have lots of money but I have even less spare time, having 2 small kids who I watch all the time, being a Mr Mom like I am. If I had to do everything one at a time I would get to even fewer Cowboy matches than I do now. I started out pan lubing my Big Lube BP bullets, and it worked fine. Then got a beater Lyman 45 from a fellow shooter who couldn't get it unfroze, so they gave it to me. I fixed it and cleaned it up and used it for a bit, but then I saw a buddies Star and just had to have one, and I never regretted the money spent on it as it has saved me countless hours sizing bullets.

Springfield
02-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Make sure you watch this one. It shows how the Lyman/Rcbs bullets go in and then out, versus the Star where they just go in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzVc4-NPUds&feature=related

George Tucker
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I have tried most all of them, for me its Star hands down, George.

rbuck351
03-06-2010, 04:38 AM
I have two lymans and an rcbs and I'm hoping someone can convince me I don't need a star. Don't think it's gonna work though.