PDA

View Full Version : Whats their hold up?

jdgabbard
02-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Alright, riddle me this, why hasn't Lyman and RCBS come out with their own versions of a nose first lube/sizer? Its obviously a lot faster, and seems to give better end results, as in rounder boolits...

Anyone have an idea?

anachronism
02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Probably because they already have sizers that have about 2/3rds of the market share or more between them, and the tooling for these machines has already been paid for, many times over. Neither company is well known for making any great innovations in bullet casting lately, say the last 20-30 years.

cheese1566
02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I agree. Retooling in this era of economy for a limited market. Hate to say it, but we are a dieing breed when it comes to casting. It is getting to be a lost art.

JMtoolman
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm sure the reason they havent marketed a nose first model is the design of the sizer. They are designed to pressure lube the bullet as the bullet passes the holes in the sizeing die. If you were to pass the bullet nose first through the die, you would need a nose punch to fit the bullet nose exactly to keep the lube from filling up the areas around the front of the bullet. A flat base is much easier to exclude the lube around this area. Always rember there is already pressure on the lube even when a bullet is not in the sizer, that is until you release the pressure when you are through sizeing. The toolman

Shiloh
02-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Probably because they already have sizers that have about 2/3rds of the market share or more between them, and the tooling for these machines has already been paid for, many times over. Neither company is well known for making any great innovations in bullet casting lately, say the last 20-30 years.

That's it exactly in a nutshell.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. You want something specialty?? Go to a specialty shop.
One often wonders, how many of these thinks has Lyman and RCBS made and sold??

Shiloh

jdgabbard
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure the reason they havent marketed a nose first model is the design of the sizer. They are designed to pressure lube the bullet as the bullet passes the holes in the sizeing die. If you were to pass the bullet nose first through the die, you would need a nose punch to fit the bullet nose exactly to keep the lube from filling up the areas around the front of the bullet. A flat base is much easier to exclude the lube around this area. Always rember there is already pressure on the lube even when a bullet is not in the sizer, that is until you release the pressure when you are through sizeing. The toolman

Not really. Nose first sizers usually eject through the bottom. I don't think I've seen one like the Lyman or RCBS, that ejects it right back up. But I'm sure there might be a few out there somewhere... Here is a video that'll show basic operation...

Star Sizer Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE)

yondering
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Neither company is well known for making any great innovations in bullet casting lately, say the last 20-30 years.

Yup. I honestly can't think of any changes or new designs by either company that are for the better. Lyman's management seems to not have a clue and/or not care what casters/reloaders want. Think of all the good mold designs they've dropped, that are high dollar collectors items now.

GP100man
02-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I`m with cheese1566 there`s not that many shooter that take castin to heart & this day & time your lucky to keep the intrest of a young person in shootin in general!!!

Not many are willin to put in the leg work due to "other" priorities & I can understand that also !

Scroungin, smeltin, castin , lubeing, & that`s just to prepare the projectiles!!!

tumblin, sizeing, trimmin , & then finally gettin to assemble rounds , so many rounds & so little time!!!!

BBUUTTT , I love it & addicted , there no more denial!!!!! Let the loadin begin!!!!!

Marlin Hunter
02-18-2010, 11:11 PM
... why hasn't Lyman and RCBS come out with their own versions of a nose first lube/sizer? ...

Anyone have an idea?

They do have one. ...Kinda. I just converted mine into a nose first bottom eject. It's easy, but not as fast as a Star. I will post a write-up in a few days with pictures in this section (casting equipment).

Marlin Hunter
02-19-2010, 05:17 AM
They do have one. ...Kinda. I just converted mine into a nose first bottom eject. It's easy, but not as fast as a Star. I will post a write-up in a few days with pictures in this section (casting equipment).

OK, here it is.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=816525#post816525

jdgabbard
02-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Checked out the thread... But still, you would think that in the last 80 years that they haven't changed much with the sizers, they would have come up with something new...other then a built in heater, that gets too hot I might add...

Dale53
02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Lyman's two heaters work well but they desparately need a voltage control. I had a Dremel Speed Control (simply a rheostat) and it works perfectly giving me a full temperature range with my flat Lyman heater (that is drilled and tapped for ALL of the various sizer/lubers (Star, Lyman, and RCBS - I have those, don't know if the Saeco fits or not). Drilling it for all encouraged me to buy it as I have all three and believe it was a forward thinking move on Lyman's part.

You can get the parts for a rheostat from you home building supply (light dimmer works perfectly and the heater is a low wattage unit - no danger of overloading). An electrical box, an outlet, the rheostat and a bit of wire and you are all set for less than $10.00. Can hardly beat that.

Dale53