PDA

View Full Version : Do I feel stupid!!

lead4me
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, ever came to the conclusion that your a big dummy? I just started reloading this month I bought a Hornady L&L AP with all the trimming had to wait 6 weeks to get my New dim 3 die set in .45 ACP. New to casting to and my mold's two of them came in from midway USA fired up the turkey fryer and cast up some boolits.
300 rds later and I've been fighting this reloader can't get the taper die to size my cases to .470 all over the map turned it down till it was miss forming the cases, everything is right boolits are .452 case wall are .011 what is wrong??
So I call Hornady...get a technical guy on the line ex-plane my displeasure with this faulty die set and he ask me what/who's TAPER die I'm using[smilie=b: DUHOOOO
Hornady sets do not include the taper die...THEN the wife say's didn't you read that it's in the booklet....Oh and did I mention NOBODY has a .45 taper die in stock.

Edubya
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't beat yourself up over this, we're men. Act like you knew it and was testing everyone else!:bigsmyl2:
Use your sizing w/o the de-primer pin.
EW

machinisttx
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
From the midway description of Hornady dies:

Includes CGND Nitride Full-length Sizing Die, CGND Adjustable Case Mouth Expander Die and CGND Seater Die with taper crimp. The sizer die features Titanium Nitride sizing rings that eliminate case sticking and require no lubrication. The Zip Spindle is set in place with a collet lock and secured with light threads for precision decapping and easy adjustment. Comes packaged with a plastic storage box and three Sure-Loc Rings, Shellholder sold separately.

If taper crimp isn't a standard feature for an autoloader cartridge, hornady needs to get out of the die business....this is a standard feature on every other mfg's dies.

Thanks for the heads up though, now I know not to waste money on hornady handgun dies.

lead4me
02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't beat yourself up over this, we're men. Act like you knew it and was testing everyone else!:bigsmyl2:
Use your sizing w/o the de-primer pin.
EW

I thought for a min your sizing die thing might work but... the sizing die measure's .4665 at the start. no go for me my cases are at .471/2/3 they wont even start in. Nice try though, found one on evilbay they are asking 24.00 plus shipping. Beats waiting another 5 weeks to order one, I can get a Lee taper from Cabelas in a couple of days for 16.00 + change.

lead4me
02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I went and looked they claim it is included but it's not... What ever happened to truth in advertising??

Steve W of Omaha, NE
Date posted: 1/10/2009
These dies are perfect as are all of the Hornady dies I've ever had, but why Hornady doesn't include a taper-crimp die is beyond me. After beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why my 45 ACP ammo wouldn't feed, adding a taper-crimp die did the trick. It should be included, but since they aren't charging for something that isn't there it still gets 5 stars.

wallenba
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
"I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." Yogi Berra, I think, sorry could not resist that one. I've made my share of gaffs don't sweat it. At least you recognized there was a problem.
And greetings from just down the road in Garden City, Mi.

1hole
02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know about every die ever made but it's been my experience that all seater dies for revolver/rimmed cartridges have roll crimps and all dies for pistol/rimless cartridges have taper crimps...as they should. ??