PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullet choices

shepheard
02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm about to venture out and start shooting some lead slugs. The handguns will be a GP100, EAA 40 and a newly aquired PM7 45. I"ve looked around and can't make up my mind. I usually don't shoot real light loads but for target practice I don't shoot anything hot either. Should I be looking for a bullet with a higher BH? I hear there is less chance of leading. I've also heard there is more of a chance of leading due to the bullet not sealing properly. That's when the confusion set in. What do you guy's use and what velocity are you shooting them at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Hullo Shepard and welcome, I take that you are talking about store bought lead boolits, if so they tend to be cast very hard, this takes away most of the handling problems for the manifacture... and yes one size does not fit all.....there are some softer slugs out there , so you may need to ask around...someone here will probably come to your aid, I cast my own so am not informed as much as others.

You will help your self out if you slug your bbls and cylinder throats of your revolvers to determine what size boolit you pistol of choice needs....You may be able to find someone here that will make boolits for you , try the buy/swap threads if you are interested. Good Luck