PDA

View Full Version : SmartReloader press review

buck1
02-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Well I ordered it . The word steel made me do it.

I got it today. Its steel, its a press, and its a piece of excrement! Big time junk :groner:
Yep its China all right
The the handle mounting is a joke , the Ram is sloppy as a 40 cal boolit rattleing down a 44 bore, or worse.
DO NOT BUY THIS PRESS! ITS PURE JUNK !

BUT I must add that Midsouth shipped my order fast 3 days and its here!
So the Not so smart reloader = :( [smilie=b: :killingpc
Midsouth= :-)
....Buck

Bulletlube
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks I was going to buy one but not now.

Bullshop Junior
02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
I have always found that anything with the word "smart" in the title is junk. I almost stated that on the other thread, but resisted it.

How much did it cost?

buck1
02-17-2010, 10:12 PM
$28 or so. If I could have gotten my hands on it to look at it first, I would not have taken it for free. Lee is MUCH better, and this is from a man that is not a lee fan.

jhrosier
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Buck,
I would make arrangements to send the press back for a refund if it is that bad.
If you keep it, you are implying that you accept poor quality products.
I am confident that Midsouth will not continue to offer junk if folks insist on returning same for a refund.

Jack

buck1
02-18-2010, 12:55 AM
I wrote to them allready. Its built like a ROCK (in a tin can). I have never seen a press new or used worn out or any condition thats as bad as this one is. It looks real good in the pics, but thats as good as it gets...Buck

02-18-2010, 01:04 AM
well for the money i'm not suprised but i was hoping, thanks for the review and i hope you get your monies back.

OldBob
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Send it back, it doesn't matter if it only cost $10, you paid for a new , usable piece of equipment and you got junk. Midsouth is a good reputable company and will surely take it back and bill the maker............ small prediction here, in a couple of years the Chinese will find the quality level we will tolerate and then price that just below RCBS or Lee or Lyman and slowly drive these US makers out of business..... we can help them or we can thumb our noses at them, your choice. As for me, I intend to wear a callus on the end of my nose.

ANeat
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Im sure it will load ammo just as accuratly as a more expensive press :kidding:

tonyb
02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
$28 is what I paid for my RCBS jr used, and I could have got a NEW press.:kidding:

buck1
02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Mid south said they would take it back no prob. I measured the ram at .807 and the press bore at .821 .

Pressman
02-20-2010, 03:20 PM
you could send it to me!! I "need" another press like this one. Sure to soon be a collectors item.
pm me if interested.

Ken

Ed Barrett
02-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Has anyone else tried one, it may just be one made on a Monday. I ordered one yesterday, I figure I can always send it back. When I bought my first press 40+ years ago it was a used Lyman "C" frame. I didn't know it was sprung out of alignment. I loaded a lot of ammo with it that was very accurate. I next got a new rock chucker and found it didn't make ammo that was more accurate than the old lyman.

Shiloh
02-27-2010, 09:24 AM

I got it today. Its steel, its a press, Big time junk :groner:
Yep its China all right
The the handle mounting is a joke , the Ram is sloppy as a 40 cal boolit rattleing down a 44 bore, or worse.

Thanks Buck!!

Pretty much as I figured. When I used to do this as a youth, something I had to have, Dad would ask "Ja learn anything??"

We've all done it. Chalk it up as an educational expense and move on. You're only out what, $30-$40 bucks??

SHiloh

218bee
02-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I saw a flyer on their products that was placed in my last order from Graf and Sons. Flyer sure looked pretty.....maybe they should have put more money into product and less on advertising. When I saw prices I figured they couldn't be too good. Too bad its not at least "usable" quality for putzing around but it sounds like it ain't.

mold maker
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
That's proof that you DO NOT always get what ya pay for, but ya do always pay for what ya get.
Even at just $28. it sure isn't a bargain, if ya can't use it.
I'm surprised that Graff and Midsouth would carry such shoddy equipment. That doesn't improve their image, does it???

mdi
02-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Have you tried it? Maybe .014" won't hurt. Could have gotten a ram on the small side but still in tolerance with a bore on the large side but still in tolerance. Not doubting your word, just askin'...

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
hate to rub it in but in reloading more then about anything you truely do get what you paid for.

buck1
02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I needed a little press to push a boolit in to a fired case for a swedging project. Not that this press is for swedging. I can almost do it with my fingers. Theres no critical alinement issues , all thats done on the RCBS RC press. It will probably work for that. It took 20 min and a 7/8x14 bolt to clean the threads up enugh to get a die to thread in to it. By the time I send it back $10-15 postage and get another press $10-15 more in postage, well I will just use it to push the slugs in to the case instead of my litthe tap hammer and punch.
I would hate to try to load ammo on it with the sloppy fitted ram.
But that said , I guess the die could center things up and make ok ammo I guess.
Stranger things have happened.
I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, By all means buy what you want. I was just trying to give a heads up that it looks good but is in my opinion is far below lee quality for fit and function. It could be just this one press is bad and the rest could be great, I cant say for sure. But I doubt it.
All in all $30.00 is a lesser expencive lesson than I am used to. ...Buck :violin:

buck1
02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
hate to rub it in but in reloading more then about anything you truely do get what you paid for.

TRUE<TRUE<TRUE! Sometimes I Feel the need to relearn that lesson I guess. Theres a sucker born every miniute and I have been reborn mannnnnnny times! LOL....Buck [smilie=b:

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
LOL i guess thats two of us as ive bought every gimiky loading tool made for man!
TRUE<TRUE<TRUE! Sometimes I Feel the need to relearn that lesson I guess. Theres a sucker born every miniute and I have been reborn mannnnnnny times! LOL....Buck [smilie=b:

mdi
02-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm sure if you had been able to look at it first, you wouldn't have bought it. Thanks for the info. Sometimes when you try something new, you get a gem, but sometimes you get a cow pie too!

deerslayer
03-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info on the press I have been looking at those myself I am glad you passed that on. FYI the smart reloader boxes for pistol ammo are great i bought some at the last gun show.

jeep45238
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
You always get what you pay for, or less.

You'll never get more than what you paid for.

mtgrs737
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Has anyone seen the press in the latest Midway catalog on the page with the Franklin Arsenal items all on it. It is a full page picture advertizing their case cleaning equiptment on page 311. It looks like a copy of a RC in Royal blue. I could not find where they were selling it in the catalog though.

03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
mtgrs737,
I noticed it, too. It's not listed on their web-site, either. Coming soon, maybe?

jimkim
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Has anyone seen the press in the latest Midway catalog on the page with the Franklin Arsenal items all on it. It is a full page picture advertizing their case cleaning equiptment on page 311. It looks like a copy of a RC in Royal blue. I could not find where they were selling it in the catalog though.

I actually saw one on eBay a few weeks ago. It was used, and the first one I've ever even heard of. < preposition It'll be interesting to read a review on it.

mtgrs737
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
It looks good in the picture, but you all know that looks can be deceiving![smilie=b:

I too await a review on it. :p

jcwit
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Its obvious you've never been a Purchasing Agent/Procurement Officer for a major company.

bkbville
03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Buck,

Thanks for the heads up -

I was looking at this in a flyer the other day thinking "I can always use another press, and it's steel!"

I have a closet full of **** I can't believe I bought, but often it costs more to mail it back than it's worth.

Tazman1602
11-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh Boy..................I was *just* about to press to order button at Midsouth when I came across this thread, I figured for $20 delivered the little "C" clamp type press could be used for minor tasks.

These are made in Italy I've found out -- has anyone tried one lately and has quality improved at all?

Thanks,

Art

jcwit
11-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Can't back this up with hard facts, but its my understanding the parent company is Italian and the product is made in China.

With that said I understand RCBS is now cast in China.

rattletrap1970
11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
I see several people mention on here they are looking for a press. I'm sellin one.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/Dillon550RLForSale.jpg

Firebricker
11-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I saw there ad it say's "Swiss engineered Italian designed" but they don't bother to say made in china must not be too proud of that part. china found another market to undercut American manufacture's. I personally hope they fail but the e-bay gang will probably bid them up. FB

1hole
11-26-2010, 09:40 AM
In so far as a "loose" press ram goes, I suppose everyone knows that many of the serious BR crowd use the little alum alloy bodied RCBS "Partner" press for their FL sizing and that some of them actually lathe turn the ram down several thou specifically to make it a loose fit in the body?

Anyone who dislikes "poorly made" Chinese stuff may have to toss out his digital scale and digital powder dumpster, RCBS RockChuckers, his computer, printer, TV, sound systems, cameras, most hand and power tools with labels like DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Skil, Black & Decker, Kobalt, etc.

EMC45
11-26-2010, 10:11 AM

I bought a new Classic Cast for 30 bucks a few years back. I think that defies the rule....Maybe just this once though.

klcarroll
11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the review!

I was considering buying one of these presses just for pushing boolits through a LEE push-through; ......But now I won't bother!

Kent

wheezengeezer
11-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Near as I can tell it is a european based company.Thay claim "most"products are made there. http://www.smartreloader-usa.com/home.html

jcwit
11-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Never worked in procurement, have you?

You've never got an excellent deal in buying something? Its called value.

jcwit
11-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Anyone who dislikes "poorly made" Chinese stuff may have to toss out his digital scale and digital powder dumpster, RCBS RockChuckers, his computer, printer, TV, sound systems, cameras, most hand and power tools with labels like DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Skil, Black & Decker, Kobalt, etc.

True, but except for a couple of items listed it virtually impossiable to not buy chinese or eastern imported. Buy American if possible, the job you save may be your own.

pbraceguns
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Wound up with the Not so smart Reloader press here as well. Only out $8 for one used.
Yours has tight ram dimensions compared to this one.with the ram all the way up the top of it will move around as much as 1/8". Most shell holders won't snap into the ram without a hammer.
It does serve well for my Lee sizing kits for my cast boolits though. I just clamp the base in a vise in the shed and size away. Not a total loss I guess since I did find some use for it.

buck1
11-26-2010, 09:30 PM
WE live and learn and relearn sometimes. On the bright side the value of these presses can be doubbled by taping a penny to it! It would then be worth 2 cents!

taminsong
11-29-2010, 05:47 AM
I was in need for a single stage press maybe 2 or 3 months ago in preparation for Pat's checkmaker. I also saw that "Smart Reloader" but found no review for that. I really doubt the quality when no feedbacks are given.

I opted for a Lee Classic Press, which was the best for the money that I paid!

BerdanIII
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe you could use the "C" press as a fantastically over-built powder measure stand, although having to get a tap and chase the threads doesn't seem like much fun. I saw the ad and was sorely tempted, too.

WILCO
12-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I also saw that "Smart Reloader" but found no review for that.

Yeah, I looked too. Nothing to be said, other than here.

HangFireW8
07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I guess the worst press I've had is a Lee Reloader (tiny "C" press). I bought it with low expectations, for decapping only, and that's pretty much all I've done with it. At one point I resized a few '06 cases because I didn't want to tear down my RCBS RC carefully set up for seating. Lo and behold, it actually worked. I didn't like it that much, though, very little finger clearance and a rough, stop/start/stop feel to the ram movement, that lube wouldn't cure. It's broken-in now and still feels much the same.

My best press is a toss-up between my mid-90's RockChucker and my two new Lee Classic Cast presses. I like everything about the Lee's except the lack of compound leverage, which can result in the press arm whacking you on the head when you inadvertantly push up on the linkage. This sort of thing happens when I go under the table to get something off the bottom shelf or pick up a dropped component. The RockChucker won't move but the Lee will drop its lever as fast after you push on the linkage.

Except for this one thing the Lee has it all over the RCBS- better feel, better primer handling, more clearance, longer handle. We'll have to wait 20 years or so to compare longetivity.

I mounted the three of them in a row on a 2x6 to do semi-progressive reloading- decap/size in the RCBS, expand in the first Lee, seat in the second. The Lee Reloader sits off to the side for decapping but its lack of leverage makes it useless for a better role, pulling.

HF

cjvdm
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
The SmartReloader press looks suspiciously similar to the LEE Classic Cast press. It is probably just a Chinese copy of the LEE, a bad copy ;-)

Regards
CJ

I got it today. Its steel, its a press, and its a pice of 5h1t! Big time junk :groner:
Yep its China all right

BUT I must add that Midsouth shipped my order fast 3 days and its here!
So the Not so smart reloader = :( [smilie=b: :killingpc
Midsouth= :-)
....Buck

mdi
05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Not quite a copy, I have both. I got mine a couple years ago when they were $16.00 new, and it indeed is a piece of junk. Lee's finish much better, Lee's fit/quality is 500% better. The only thing the Smartreloader is good for is as a wall hanger to remind me that a "good deal" many times isn't...

km101
05-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I bought one of the Smartreloader powder measures. It only stayed at my house until the post office opened the next day! What a ***! I would never touch anything made by them again.

Sorry you also had a bad experience, but I think everyone who mistakenly deals with these products is in for the same result.

dudel
05-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Same thing for their Nano tumbler. ***. Doesn't clean as well as my 25 yr old Midway unit. Run it twice as long for half as clean. I liked the idea of a tumbler to clean small batches of load work up brass. it was, and is, cheap in every sense. Even their ammo boxes didn't hold up. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Never again. I think they could make a powder funnel that would fail.