PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop NASA 1st Field Test

SharpsShooter
06-16-2006, 09:21 PM
B.S. NASA Lube

1st Test report.

It was an interesting afternoon at the range. Don’t get me wrong; I am rarely bored at any shooting range. The temperature was 75* and the relative humidity was steady at 50%. It was especially interesting because I had a new Black Powder lube to try. Now I shoot Black Powder extensively in the 45-70 and can tell you the search for a lube that keeps the fouling soft the entire length of the barrel is akin to the search for the Holy Grail.

Bullshop has developed a new formula lube for the Black Powder shooter and he sent me a generous quantity to use in testing. I use his #2 recipe of lube and it works well, but he felt there was room for improvement specifically in the area of moisture retention to keep the fouling soft during extended firing strings and eliminate the need for cleaning or swabbing every few shots.

I chose for a test bed my 1875 C. Sharps. It has a heavy Badger barrel and is equipped with C. Sharps long-range tang sight and front globe. It is a consistent 2” group gun. It doesn’t seem to care what I feed it, but 2” is the best I can squeeze out of it. Interestingly it will group the same at 50 as it does at 100yds. I got to find someone to explain that to me some time. Still it is a proven performer and I’m confident of its capabilities.

The humidity was not too high, so I decided to use the blow tube for the first 5 shot string and then toss it back in the shooting box for the rest. I prepared 20 rounds for the test. I assembled them with meticulous attention to detail to ensure the shot to shot consistency for the test.

Lyman 457125…517.5gr Sized to .460 and lubed with NASA

Remington Cases

Federal 215 Primers

Walters Vegetable .030 over powder wad and .030 Cardboard Boolit base wad.

Goex Cartridge Grade, 55gr by weight, drop tubed 24” and compressed into the case to a depth of .645 with the wads to allow the Boolit to be completely seated and a light crimp applied.

The results were a real treat and I’m quite happy to report the 2” barrier has been soundly defeated.

Shot String #1:
5 shots fired at a rhythm of 1 per minute using 6 long breaths with the blow tube between shots yielded a group size of 1.57” center to center. That in itself is good, but the bore was still shiny on the lands the entire length of the barrel. Almost clean is how I would describe it. The muzzle had a nice lube star too. I ran a patch with my range solvent (windshield washer fluid) down the bore and it was spotless clean. One dry patch and it was clean. I set it aside to cool completely and went to exercise a 45LC SAA for a few minutes.

Shot String #2:

This string would also be 5 shots, but this time the blow tube stays in the shooting box and all shots would be fired 30-45 seconds apart in an attempt to foul the bore and see accuracy go south. I fired all five in a span of 3 minutes and upon ejecting the 5th case and helping the smoke clear in the barrel with a puff of breath into the breach, I discovered a slightly dirty bore that simply appeared to be smoked, not really fouled like I have seen in the past with another big name lube when I tried the same trick. Clean up was a one wet and one dry patch proposition again, but you could really see the lube on the wet patch. It is a dark shade of green in color and can easily be distinguished from black fouling. The group size…..1.53”….Yep I shot faster, did not use the blow tube and the group got smaller. I think it is important to mention that the humidity was only 50% today. That is fairly dry air, but the lube was capturing what was available and putting it to good use keeping the fouling soft. Back to the 45LC to let the rifle completely cool.

Shot String #3:

I was encouraged by the results of string #2 but tiring of the recoil generated from the 500+grain boolits when fired so rapidly from the bench. But, here we go. 10 shots fired as fast as possible to aim accurately, fire and reload. I was ejecting them with enough authority to kick them over my right shoulder several times. The rate of fire was steady and I’ll confess the last three just plain hurts. The time was under 4 minutes for all ten. My shooting pal, James was spotting for me and when the last empty cleared the gun, he stepped up and slapped me on the back. I asked him if I needed a shotgun to improve the group I had just fired. He replied “Nah it’s one hole” You’re Bullsh..ing I says and he hands me a set of binoculars. It was a ragged 10 shot hole that gave up a measurement of 1.59”. While I was rubbing my soon to be bruised shoulder, James pushed a damp patch through the bore and it was SHINY CLEAN. Not just clean, spotless. Two dry patches and it was a mirror of perfection.

Have I found the grail of Black Powder Lube. I think so. Every now and then a lube comes along and makes a difference in accuracy and that is one thing, but to control fouling at a high rate of fire in a black powder firearm when there is virtually no available ambient moisture and maintain accuracy too is something special. James asked what I thought about melting enough to saturate some precut patches for his Muzzleloader so he could try it there. I guess I can spare a little, but only a little.

Thanks to Bullshop for two things. One, for giving me an opportunity to perform a 1st run field test for you and two, for coming up with this magic elixir for the Black Powder community.

This is likely not a perfect scientific test, but it is actual results from actual shooting. I attempted to foul the rifle by failing to introduce moisture to the bore to keep the fouling soft and increase fouling by increasing the rate of fire to a ridiculous point and by doing so ruin any chance of accuracy. Ya know what happened, I ended up with an average group of 1.56” from three groups and 20 shots. This is a ½” improvement in group size from any load I have fired in this rifle since it followed me home from Moodyholler’s place many years ago.

Yeah I found the grail or actually I think it found me.

SS

PatMarlin
06-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Whoa- cheers to Bull Shop Dan!!... :drinks:

That's awesome. I've got some of his speed green and haven't tried it yet.

We need to put the word out, and he needs a major BP magazine to do a test on his lube. It'll be steaks and Lobster for the Bull Shop crew from now on.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop
06-16-2006, 10:49 PM
SharpsShooter
Thank you Sir for the great test report, and you are welcome on all counts.
Those are exactly the results I was looking/hopeing for.
You know that sometimes theory doesnt jibe with actual field test results, but this time maybe so. Its only a first test but you have realy got me pumped up. If it proves to work this well in all conditions dare I think BPC just took another major step forward.
Next hurdle will be how to let the BPC world know about it.
Thanks for the help Friend!
BIC/BS

StarMetal
06-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Dan,

Maybe you could send Mike Venturino some???

Charger wrote him, so maybe he has his address. Just type up a letter about your lube and mail him some off.

Joe

SharpsShooter
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Dan,

Maybe you could send Mike Venturino some???

Charger wrote him, so maybe he has his address. Just type up a letter about your lube and mail him some off.

Joe

I'd be happy to provide photo copies of the groups if you need them:-D . And Dan..you are most welcome sir. I'm shoulder sore at the moment, but it was a blast and another blast and another blast............you get the idea. I probably would not be so dang sore, but I had 20 rounds of 405gr mid range load 45-70 for my 1895 Marlin that I shot also at the conclusion of the lube test :Fire: and 100 rounds of 45LC too. A fine day at the range. I just finished scrubbing and cleaning the smokeless guns and am ready to call it a day.

SS

:coffee:

Bullshop
06-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Joe
I think that with his conection to spg he may not be able to do an unbiased test. I know he sold his part to Steve but they are still bud's. It would be a tough spot to be in to do something that may hurt your bud's business.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
06-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Got pm and e-mail's about availability. For anyone thats satisfied with SharpsShooters test report order and I shall provide.
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
06-17-2006, 11:49 PM
So Dan...

Is the Nasa stuff the same as speed green? Or is it just for BP?:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Bullshop
06-18-2006, 12:10 AM
So Dan...

Is the Nasa stuff the same as speed green? Or is it just for BP?:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:
Pat
I have been shooting nasa with smokless since thats all I can get here. I have not pushed it to the limit yet but have been using it at 2000 and over with clean shiney bore. I went to 3000 with speed green and still had a clean shiney bore but accuracy was not so good at that speed/pressure. That was with acww so was likely exceeding the limit of the alloy. Speed green has worked good to beyond the limit of any alloy I have used.
Nasa is somewhat softer so may turn out to be a realy good cold weather smokless lube also. Still lots of testing to be done.
BIC/BS

versifier
06-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Dan,
Maybe Mike Nesbitt is the one to send some to. I know he's mostly a front stuffer man, but he shoots breech loaders too and is a regular contributor to the weekly newspaper GunWeek. I have found him to be knowledgeable but still down to earth and easy to talk to. As my brother would say, "His sh*t stinks just like ours and he ain't the kind to pretend it don't." [smilie=1: You can catch his ear at the Campfire Forum where he is a regular poster. http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve

waksupi
06-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Dan,
Maybe Mike Nesbitt is the one to send some to. I know he's mostly a front stuffer man, but he shoots breech loaders too and is a regular contributor to the weekly newspaper GunWeek. I have found him to be knowledgeable but still down to earth and easy to talk to. As my brother would say, "His sh*t stinks just like ours and he ain't the kind to pretend it don't." [smilie=1: You can catch his ear at the Campfire Forum where he is a regular poster. http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve

Mike probably would be good. He is a good friend of mine, and is also a dyed-in-the -wool cast boolit shooter. I've tried to get him to join the forum here, but he has a lot of irons in the fire. He would wring it out, I'm sure. And he can be a real hoot to shoot with, and share a campfire.

Ken O
06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd be happy to provide photo copies of the groups if you need them:-D . And Dan..you are most welcome sir. I'm shoulder sore at the moment, but it was a blast and another blast and another blast............you get the idea. I probably would not be so dang sore, but I had 20 rounds of 405gr mid range load 45-70 for my 1895 Marlin that I shot also at the conclusion of the lube test :Fire: and 100 rounds of 45LC too. A fine day at the range. I just finished scrubbing and cleaning the smokeless guns and am ready to call it a day.

SS

:coffee:

Just a question here... our club holds mid-range BPC state championships which are 600yds, I never saw a '95 Marlin shoot that range. Camp Grayling nearby holds the BPC long-range state championships which are 1000yds. I see a lot of Sharps type rifles, but never a lever. I'm wondering what rear sight you are using on that '95 to shoot mid-range?
Last week I shot my AR15 at a mid-range club match, and the person next to me was shooting a 45-70 BPC Sharps type rife. We were using the High Power 600MR target which the black is quite a bit smaller than the mid-range BP target, he did a fine job and kept them mostly in the 10 ring, and it was fun watching the smoke clear to make my shot.

SharpsShooter
06-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Just a question here... our club holds mid-range BPC state championships which are 600yds, I never saw a '95 Marlin shoot that range. Camp Grayling nearby holds the BPC long-range state championships which are 1000yds. I see a lot of Sharps type rifles, but never a lever. I'm wondering what rear sight you are using on that '95 to shoot mid-range?
Last week I shot my AR15 at a mid-range club match, and the person next to me was shooting a 45-70 BPC Sharps type rife. We were using the High Power 600MR target which the black is quite a bit smaller than the mid-range BP target, he did a fine job and kept them mostly in the 10 ring, and it was fun watching the smoke clear to make my shot.

Ken,

We are talking about to different items when we refer to "mid range". You are making reference to distance while I am talking about the strength of the load for the Marlin. "Mid Range", in this instance is applied to indicate that the load used falls somewhere above mouse killer, but not quite dinosaur medicine.

I would like to try the Marlin at that distance, but the receiver sight would not elevate enough for center hold.:-D

An AR-15 and a Sharps alongside one another on the firing line??? He gets you with the smoke and you beat him up with brass........sounds even.:mrgreen:

SS

PatMarlin
06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
An AR-15 and a Sharps alongside one another on the firing line??? He gets you with the smoke and you beat him up with brass........sounds even.:mrgreen:

SS

.........LOL!

Ah shucks, I shoot my marlin at 600 all the time. Just turn it upside down and hold the butt into you're lap.. :mrgreen:

Bigjohn
06-20-2006, 07:58 PM
This gunk sounds like it is the 'Bees knees', best thing since canned ham, all the go.[smilie=p:

When is Bullshop planning on marketing it?????

Will he ship downunder????

Down where I live the humidity can vary from as low as 5% upto around 95%. At this time of the year you need a dry heat source to drive the humidity out of the house.
The temperature varies from -3* to about 43* Celcius
John.

Bullshop
06-20-2006, 10:50 PM
This gunk sounds like it is the 'Bees knees', best thing since canned ham, all the go.[smilie=p:

When is Bullshop planning on marketing it?????

Will he ship downunder????

Down where I live the humidity can vary from as low as 5% upto around 95%. At this time of the year you need a dry heat source to drive the humidity out of the house.
The temperature varies from -3* to about 43* Celcius
John.
G-day BigJohn
Having a little problem getting a quantity of one ingrediant. Should have it solved soon. Pricing will be same as other lubes on my site. We can probably get about a lb of cake in one of the international mailers. Sticks would be much more limited to maybe 4 sticks.
BIC/BS

Bigjohn
06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Thank you Bullshop; keep us informed. Present lube by Montana does not leave a lubestar but no leading either. Fouling is dry unless humidity is high and this sets the number of rounds between cleaning at around five.

John.

Ken O
06-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Ken,

SS

Kind of... he was to my left, so I got the smoke and I was on the high end so no one had to eat my brass LOL.
Every Monday we have a club vintage military match. I take a Garand or or a 03A3, but its a good time for guys to get the odd balls out of the closet.
The course of fire is 50+5,.... 5 sighters anyway you want to take them, then 20 shots slow prone, 10 shots rapid fire standing to prone with reload (5+5 or 2+8), 10 shots rapid fire standing to sitting with reload, then 10 shots off-hand. Everything done from just the 200 yard line. At the end of the match and before the pit change, we try each others rifles out. Last Monday a guy had a French sniper rifle with the original scope on it. The scope had a rubberized accordian type attachment that you put your eye right in, the retical was a vertical arrowhead. I shot a few shots offhand with it, I kept them in the 9-ring, lots of fun.