PDA

View Full Version : Disaster strikes!

Jim
02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I fired up my old Lee pot this morning and found that it finally gave up the ghost. It not only leaked, it ran and wouldn't stop. Grabbed the cupcake tin and drained the pot to salvage the alloy.
So, I got out my old propane rig that I hadn't used since the Korean conflict. Finally got everything going and the worst happened. The #$%^& pot turned over, dumping about 20 lbs. of molten mix on the floor. Fortunately, God was watching out for me and allowed it to tip away from me. Jeeesh! Shut everything down, cleaned up the mess and started over again.
I did manage to get some .458-500-RNs made up along with some .452-230-RNs and some 6.5 cruise missiles.
Now I'm having trouble with my 6.5 mold. I'm getting fins at the meplate and can't figure out why to save my butt. I've checked everything and I can't find any flaws in the mold.
And to top all this off, I've got the worst case of cabin fever I've had in decades. Or so it seems, know what I mean?
Jeeeesh!

44wcf
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I fired up my old Lee pot this morning and found that it finally gave up the ghost. It not only leaked, it ran and wouldn't stop. Grabbed the cupcake tin and drained the pot to salvage the alloy.
So, I got out my old propane rig that I hadn't used since the Korean conflict. Finally got everything going and the worst happened. The #$%^& pot turned over, dumping about 20 lbs. of molten mix on the floor. Fortunately, God was watching out for me and allowed it to tip away from me. Jeeesh! Shut everything down, cleaned up the mess and started over again.
I did manage to get some .458-500-RNs made up along with some .452-230-RNs and some 6.5 cruise missiles.
Now I'm having trouble with my 6.5 mold. I'm getting fins at the meplate and can't figure out why to save my butt. I've checked everything and I can't find any flaws in the mold.
And to top all this off, I've got the worst case of cabin fever I've had in decades. Or so it seems, know what I mean?
Jeeeesh!

If the heater and control knob still work you can get the parts to fix the spout from Lee.I replaced it on my old one and it works fine.
44wcf

Rick N Bama
02-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Jim some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed:) Better luck tomorrow!

Rick

257 Shooter
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Jim and this too shall pass. So sit back and make the most of what is left of today.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Jim.

Sorry to hear of your travails. Wait till you get a week or two of those. What Fun.:kidding:

Sam :D

1Shirt
02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your day Jim. However, like the lettering on the pregnant ladies sweat shirt says: "Poo Poo Occurs".
1Shirt!:coffee:

wallenba
02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Jim, I had a Lyman mold fin like that, it was because one of the alignment pins was slowly being pulled out and not closing fully at the bottom of the cavity.

Stopped snowing down there yet? We have not got our fair share here yet! Knock on wood.

Dale53
02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Jim;
Regarding the flashing on the mould. Get a magnifying glass and get in GOOD light and see if there is not a bit of lead between the mould blocks or around the alignment surfaces.

Good luck - as the man said, "This too will pass"...

After being snowed in for several days, I finally got out today and went and got a haircut (gave me a chance to talk to someone other than my better half and got the doldrums on the run).

We don't get nearly the snow that some parts of the country do but we have had five times the snow in February than the average and more coming this week. It is beautiful around here, but I, for one, am ready for GREEN...

Dale53

geargnasher
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Jim, glad you made it out of the Galena Flood unscorched.

I found my cruise missile mould doing the same thing, it seems that the steel alignment pins (actually torrington bearing rollers Lee gets a good deal on) seem to peel up out of the blocks when the mould gets hot, leaving a gap at just the nose. My fix is the usual, stick it in a 6" vise and crank it shut again, then grab your water pump pliers and give the mould a good squeeze before each fill. You may respect the pieces of junk more than I do, but I lost my fear of hurting them a long time ago. Obviously, make sure the blocks are perfectly lined up before you go forcing them shut.

Gear

whisler
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Dale53: I live on the other side of the river from you and I too am ready for green or anything but white. We have had as much snow this February as we normally get all season and this is only the 17th. Some one please kill that groundhog.

qajaq59
02-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Green isn't all bliss....... I'm still paying the guy to cut my grass!:smile: