PDA

View Full Version : WW in the United Kingdom

RodneyUSAF
02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
If this is any indication on what's coming to the US with "lead bans", we should all start hording lead now. I traded two cases of bud for 4 four gallon buckets of wheel weights today and about 80% of them are Zn and Fe. Most of the lead that I did pick out was the stick-on type.

dromia
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Depends where you go but yes the ratio of non leadbased WWs to the lead based ones here in the UK is on the increase.

The main driver for this change I've been told by people in the trade is that there is a worthwhile price difference in using the non lead based types as much as saving the planet.

Profit margins talk.

DLCTEX
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
RodneyUSAF: First, thank you for serving. I was surprised to find you looking for WW for casting considering where you are based. Is there opportunity for you to shoot while there? If so, what do you shoot and where? If you can and do, let us know if you run out of alloy and we'll see how to help you with what you need. We helped the guys in Iraq with cleaning supplies, so I'll bet we can help a serviceman cast.

Pip
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
What's your Job, Rodney? I just left RAF Fairford over a year ago. You guys got my AMMO Troops.

RodneyUSAF
02-18-2010, 04:22 AM
RodneyUSAF: First, thank you for serving. I was surprised to find you looking for WW for casting considering where you are based. Is there opportunity for you to shoot while there? If so, what do you shoot and where? If you can and do, let us know if you run out of alloy and we'll see how to help you with what you need. We helped the guys in Iraq with cleaning supplies, so I'll bet we can help a serviceman cast.

I haven't found a place to shoot, and I certainly do not have any firearms here. They aren't too friendly about them if you know what I mean. From what I've been told a citizen has to own a certain amount of land in order to be allowed firearm ownership. Even then, the type of firearm is very limited. Living here has opened my eyes to the freedoms we have in the US. The only time I was able to shoot was when I re-qualified on the M16.

I deeply appreciate your offer to help me source some alloy, but my need does not warrant it. I am merely trying to get ahead of the curve for my return to the states this fall. I "got the bug" so to speak.

RodneyUSAF
02-18-2010, 04:27 AM
What's your Job, Rodney? I just left RAF Fairford over a year ago. You guys got my AMMO Troops.

I'm a Comm troop. Telephone Systems originally, but we just got a the new title "Cyber Transport". The AF decided to combine telephone and network guys since the technology is merging anyway.

You must be referring to Welford, and yes they fall under the leadership of Croughton now. The only AMMO guy I know here is named Orebello. Know him?

dromia
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Its not quiet as draconian as that here yet.

Firearms possession is a still a right (allbeit a qualified one) not a privilege.

To obtain a Firearms Certificate (FAC) you have to fulfil three basic requirements.

Be a fit person, no criminal record or history of unresolved mental illness.

Have good reason, somewhere to shoot such as have sporting permissions or be member of a gunclub or be a collector are three usual reasons.

Have adequate security commensurate with the risk (i.e are you in a a high crime area or not) and the number of weapons to be kept. Weapons must be kept locked up when not in use this is to stop any casual burglar from having away with them, I also suspect its to deter immediate access in the heat of the moment domestic.

When applying for your FAC you need to specify what calibres and the number of firearms you are seeking to possess along with good reason for their possession, see above e.g target use, sporting use, collecting/research.

Plod will then check that you are a fit person and look at your security. For example if you are asking for 12 firearms and you only have secure storage for 4 then four is all you will get.

It is a chew on to do but once you got your FAC then its relatively easy to renew on the five year cycle, costs around £50. You can ask for 1-2-1 variations to your FAC at any time if you wish to change calibres, addittional slots attract another fee as plod needs to check your increased security for extra firearms.

As a system it has its weaknesses as I fell it is the individual that needs to licensed not the firearms. The partial pistol ban is just a piece of lunacy however and was pure political gallery playing. I'm a fit person enough to own and use 60 odd rifles and two dozen shotguns, as well as being a Registered Firearms Dealer with no restrictions on what I can purchase but my historic pistols have to be kept under lock and key at designated ranges.

However despite this I shoot at least two nights a week on indoor 25 yrds ranges including pistol, mainly my Webleys, full bore rifle every weekend back to at least 600yrds along with BP clay pigeon shooting at least once a month and three trips a year to Bisley to shoot back to 1200 yrds, plus my sporting shooting as and when I want and can fit it in.

Gun Clubs are thriving, I'm chairman of one club and treasurer of another and we have waiting lists for people to join, the majority of which are new tyro shooters including families and young people.

So at present despite our restrictive and ill thought through firearms legislation the shooting arts are alive and well in the UK with over three quarters of a million licensed firearms and shotgun certificate holders with this number growing.

New gun shops are springing up across the country and apparently thriving. So the outlook is good at present. However with our political incompetents, of any political colour, it is fragile as their lack of statesmanship and maturity means that any shooting tradgey would be used as a political football, just as what happened with b*****d Blair, to gain short term political kudos.

In the meantime we are making hay whilst the sun shines and enjoying our shooting, all with home made Cast Boolits. :D

RodneyUSAF. If you want to shoot on your tour over here and have free weekend to travel to the North East then send me a PM and we'll sort you out.

RodneyUSAF
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Your right about it being a chew on to do. I'm would bet that I would be ruled out soley on the fact that I'm not a citizen of the UK and the Status of Forces Agreement with the UK has no personal firearms provisions. Thanks for the offer, I'll send you a PM.

Pip
02-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm a Comm troop. Telephone Systems originally, but we just got a the new title "Cyber Transport". The AF decided to combine telephone and network guys since the technology is merging anyway.

You must be referring to Welford, and yes they fall under the leadership of Croughton now. The only AMMO guy I know here is named Orebello. Know him?

Yeah, Josh was my supervisor in 2 different shops. He's a good dude...

jdgabbard
02-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Dromia, while you seem to be doing very well with you're efforts to keep the sports and traditions alive, there are many many others I would think that are not as fortunate as you. Its a sad, sad situation.

I honestly believe that if the Dems ever have their way about it, all firearms will be banned here in the US. But I think that Oklahoma, and Texas will be the last two to hand them over. I know many people that wouldn't do it without a fight. And I'm not talking about the "End of the world, camo wearing, red dawn watching, hillbillies" that most people think of. I know first hand that when you mention "Oklahoma" to many British Service Members, the first thing they reply with is "Like in Deliverance?" I'm referring to the avergage american farmer, or country boy who likes to hunt. Heck, before I divorced her, my ex wife had more rifles then I did.

The fact is that, when you start looking at the demographics, states like Oklahoma and Texas produce a whopping percentage of the Infantrymen throughout our US Military. Its a tradition, its a right, its a way of life, and its in our blood.