PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Job

redneckdan
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I turned in my app yesterday for a Master Machinist job here at MTU. Everbody keep yer fingers crossed fer me, I hope I nail this one.[smilie=f:

Four Fingers of Death
06-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Good luck pal, whats MTU?

dragonrider
06-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Good luck Dan

Duckiller
06-17-2006, 02:53 PM
MTU started out as Michigan School of Mines/Mining then became Michigan College of Mining and Technology(when I started)then 1 year as,I think Michigan University of Engineering and Technology ;Now Michigan Technological University (when I graduated , more than 2 score ago). It is a relatively small,6000, engineering school that used to focus on producing real world engineers not researchers. Winter weather is brutal. When I was there we suppored a small brewery. Bad but cheap beer.College students as a whole gave up on beer and went to pot. Brewery closed. Dan goodluck on getting the job. Duckiller

redneckdan
06-17-2006, 03:25 PM
YUP michigan Tech. Theres still a small brewery, keewenaw brewing company to be exact. Not school sponsered but still good beer at college prices. Winter weather is still brutal but I love it up here. Unfortunately, the college of engineering is jumping on the research band wagon and gettin away from real world engineering. I'm not sure how many engineers are on here and how many of them are current with the changes in the field happening right now. Mechanical engineers (MEs) are being pushed more and more into research and design, mostly behind a computer or driving a desk. The Mechanical Engineering Technologists (METs) are the guys who get to do the fun stuff now. Best way to describe it would be field engineers. In the orientation session for ME students, the school advisors make light of the fact that they are gettin away from the "old standard" of engineers and moving to the "gold standard" (I know what yer thinkin, sounded pretty darn lame to me too). I can definitely see it in the current crop of graduates, most of them want desk jobs and won't even thinking of gettin mud on their boots.

I hope to hear something about that job this week. This grounds crew stuff is gettin old. My boss is a moron, he doesn't even know what he wants us to get accomplished but gets pissed when nothin gets done.:roll: I'm currently an MET student, the job is workin second shift with the Enterprise design teams students. The master machinist title is misleading, the job involves everything from welding to AutoCAD/CAM and T&E

BruceB
06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Dan;

It sounds like you might be applying for my Grandfather's old job!

For many years, he was the jack-of-all-trades when MTU was still MCMT, and handled both maintenance and machinist requirements all over the campus.

I still recall the day when I learned what a wonderful trade machinists practice. I was a small boy of (guessing here) maybe five or six years of age, somewhere around 1950. Someone needed a flanged pipe bushing for a specialized use, and I watched as Grandpa chucked-up a rusty piece of about 6" roundstock in the lathe. An hour or so later, he had a shining flanged bushing, all corners smoothly contoured, six mounting holes around the flange, and a bored-and-threaded 2" hole through the middle. It looked like a piece of jewelry, and I was mightily impressed. Still am!

He also ran an active gunsmithing business out his home, and once told me that he then had custom hunting rifles from his shop in all the states of the Union.

My OTHER Grandfather was a locomotive engineer on the Grand Trunk Western in southern Michigan. I had a pretty neat childhood!

redneckdan
06-19-2006, 06:09 PM
more than one machinist on campus now. The job I applied for is alot of stuff like that flange your grandpa made. Takin basic raw materials and makin stuff. Some stuff is beautiful other stuff is given the title, "turd polishing". I'll keep ya'll update on how this turns out.

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2006, 05:22 AM
I remember my grand dad, who was had two trades, he was plumber and a carpenter. He used to get me to 'help' him. I realise that he was baby sitting now, but i felt really important passing him things, mixing paint, etc. He treated me like an apprentice. I used to solder the flues on the steep cielings in the city. I used to sloder up flues on roofs that were hard to access (I was light and could easily walk accross them ( my mum was horrified when she learnt about this years later).

I remember one day he needed a funnel. He cut the tin sheet (we used to call it tin, probably steel sheet), beat the sheet around a pipe and the round part of the vice, held the parts together with clamps and soldered them using a pump up torch and a hand held iron (made of solid copper) and soldered it all up. 15-20 mins and we had a funnel.

Pretty to watch as we Aussies say.
Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
I remember my grand dad, who was had two trades, he was plumber and a carpenter. He used to get me to 'help' him. I realise that he was baby sitting now, but i felt really important passing him things, mixing paint, etc. He treated me like an apprentice. I used to solder the flues on the steep cielings in the city. I used to sloder up flues on roofs that were hard to access (I was light and could easily walk accross them ( my mum was horrified when she learnt about this years later).

I remember one day he needed a funnel. He cut the tin sheet (we used to call it tin, probably steel sheet), beat the sheet around a pipe and the round part of the vice, held the parts together with clamps and soldered them using a pump up torch and a hand held iron (made of solid copper) and stick solder. 15-20 mins and we had a funnel.

Pretty to watch as we Aussies say.
Mick.

MT Gianni
06-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Mick, we also call sheet steel "tin", a hold over from who knows when. Gianni.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Mick,
I remember making a funnel like that in seventh or eighth grade shop class.

Robert