PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed Numrich Arms 45-70

TCLouis
06-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I have had it for some time and have shot it little and until doing some cleaning today did not ever notice all of the details about the gun.

Numrich Arms "Buffalo 45-70
45-70 with about 1.125" octagon barrel, short range and tang receiver sights.
I finally noticed (I have learned things since I bought the gun) that it is apparently built on a Remington Rolling Block BP action (large diameter firing pin).

I shoot Trap Door Loads so that should not be a problem.

Anyone know the history on these, when they were offered, grades, cost?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Four Fingers of Death
06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Didn't see them in Australia as far as I know, sounds like a nice rifle. Mick.

Bent Ramrod
06-16-2006, 10:38 PM
TC,

Numrich used to advertise surplus Remington Rolling Blocks, as well as fragmentary rifles and parts, in the various gun magazines starting in the '50's and in the Shotgun News when I was subscribing to the paper in the '70's and '80's. You could get one made into a floor lamp, if you wanted. They also offered barrels stamped with their own name for such popular calibers as .22, .30 and .45 for rehabilitation of shot-out Stevens Favorites, Winchester 90/06's, Winchester 94's and the various .45-70 rifles.

It was a natural next step to make the various .43 Spanish and Egyptian Rolling Blocks more salable by rebarreling them with their own barrels in .45-70. I recall that the stocks and forends were a generic straight-grip style and I don't recall any grades other than the standard. They were also doing this with Siamese Mausers and (I think) Martini-Enfields.

My recollection is that the ads for these refurbished guns started to disappear about the time Navy Arms started importing Italian replica Rolling Blocks and Martinis in .45-70, in the early to mid 80's. Numrich still sold RB actions and military surplus rifles, when they were able to get a supply of them.

floodgate
06-17-2006, 12:23 AM
TC:

This is from memory, and you know about my memory...uh, ...what were we talking about?

Oh, yes, Numb-'N'-Rich .45-70 Rolland Block. I had one for a couple of days back around 1970; never shot it - just too clumsy - and either gave it back or traded it off. As I recall, the barrel was a straight octagon with NO taper. I like a weight-forward barrel but that was TOO much! I think the little "button" that holds the block and hammer pins in was brass, and I sorta' remember a brass barrel band, but that may have been on something else from around that time.
I think they also made a half-octagon one and called it a "Creedmore".

But if I ran across one today, I'd probably keep it and try to "pretty" it up a bit.

floodgate

Frank46
06-17-2006, 03:44 AM
I had one of those kits years ago and a local smith assembled it for me. The RB action was a remington #1 BP action of egyptian vintage. Even though it weighed a ton, that crescent buttplate hammered me. Used to shoot hornady 300 grain short jacketed bullets. Wish they'd bring em back again. Frank

AkMike
06-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I had one with a #5 smokless action with that 1 1/8 heavy tube on it. Good shooting from a bench but a PITA carring that thing out in the woods. I've seen several over the years at the shows here.