PDA

View Full Version : 45 LC in Ruger BH load weight?

Changeling
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I would really be interested in load levels "Min-Max" for as many powders as you have
with 45 265 gr WW cast bullets (RCBS 45-250 Mold). This is in a 5.5 inch Ruger BH.
Weight difference is because of different alloy.

Especially interested in the accuracy "Points" that you found in your loading data/powder used/whatever.

Thanks, Changeling.

PS. Not interested in plated/copper bullets in any way.

Hardcast416taylor
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
If you don`t have any loading manuals simply do a 45 Colt loads search on the home page of this site.Robert

yondering
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Changeling, your sure ask a lot of questions, but this is the best yet.

If you don't have a reloading manual, there's lots of online manuals and user-submitted load data available. Here's 4 easy ones:

Hodgdon
Alliant
Ramshot
Shootersforum.com

You really should buy a few reloading manuals and read them. The Speer manual is a great choice.

R.C. Hatter
02-18-2010, 01:17 AM
:coffeecom Mr. Changeling : Try 8.0-8.5 grs. Unique under any 250-260 gr. boolit you please. While persons do require help from time to time, it's one thing to ask for help, and quite another to "wear your welcome out" as it were. I suggest you avail yourself of as many of the available reloading manuals as you can afford and USE them to develop your own loads like everybody else does.

Changeling
02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
:coffeecom Mr. Changeling : Try 8.0-8.5 grs. Unique under any 250-260 gr. boolit you please. While persons do require help from time to time, it's one thing to ask for help, and quite another to "wear your welcome out" as it were. I suggest you avail yourself of as many of the available reloading manuals as you can afford and USE them to develop your own loads like everybody else does.

That really seems to be from the heart advise, also maybe from the other end.
I should have known better. I will definitely never ask a loading question here again, thanks ever so much for your advise, it was very Unique![smilie=f:

btroj
02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't refrain from asking for advice. Just do some leg work before asking a very open ended question.
Something more like- has anyone go experience in a 45 Colt BH with this bullet and this powder? I'm looking for X ballistics.
As for me- I have such a handgun and it will reach max way after my wrists do.

R.C. Hatter
02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
To those concerned, with the exception of Mr. Changling : I apologize for the conversation brought on by Mr. Changeling's initial request. That said, I believe hewas after "instant gratification" brought on by use of others success by asking such a broad question. He apparently does not wish to buy reliable loading manuals, nor go to the trouble of doing the necessary research we have all done ourselves, many times, to attempt to perfect his own loads in HIS gun. I have no problem advising anyone, the best I can, but this forum is not the only one he has appeared on, and I refuse to be a private encyclopedia for him, or those like him. Sincerely, R.C. Hatter

rszkutak
02-27-2010, 01:23 AM
I ONLY shoot 255 Keith bullets in my 45 LC, my loads use Win LP primers, Blue Dot powder, and Authentic 255 Keith bullets. Fantastic accuracy, and group about 1 MOA @ 25 yards.... ALWAYS! Hunting, Target..... whatever, they drive tacks.

My loads are about 3/4 MAX load, no leading, no problems. I use Foundry Alloy cast in 60 pound pigs.

My mold was custom duplicated off of an origional elmer keith mold, and cut for my Magma Master Caster...

jh45gun
02-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I do have reload manuals and I got my 8 grain Unique load out of it with out asking questions here. Still its nice to hear what others think of a load. Maybe the guy was just trying to make conversation even though most load data here has been beat to death and is easy to look up. I do think he took offense maybe a bit too fast though.

44MAG#1
02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
I will have to say a .26" (26/100th inch) group is very good.. Maybe even outstanding.