PDA

View Full Version : Two Swede's and the Cruise Missle

48bpcr
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Swedish Mausers. I have 7 of them. Two of them are 1899's.
One is an Obie and the other's a Gustav.
I'm also a caster. Most of the casting I've done has been for my 45cal. Black powder rifles.
But I was reading here about the cruise missle and Swede's and said Hmmmm. So one day when I was putting in an order with Mid-South I ordered one of the Lee molds. The alloy in my pot is 20:1 so I dropped them in water to quench them.
I lubed them with black moly and used Hornaday GC's.
Being the busy guy I am I wasn't able to load any and shoot. But I'd been cleaning the 2 1899's to see which one shot the best with cast.
Sunday morning I had the chance. I looked the loading area over and had 2 bags of new Winchester cases. Being in a hurry I did no case prep aside from expanding with an M die. The powder was IMR4320 with a Win LR primer. Powder charges started at 25 grains to 27 grains. 10 rnds each. The boolits were seated so the base was even with the end of the neck.

I loaded up the F350 and beat feet north to the range. It was cold. And windy. So windy my crony was blowing over. So I have no idea what velocity they were going.

The Obie wanted nothing to do with them. 5 rnds. All keyholed. It shoots surplus ball very well.
The Gustav showed some promise. I wanted to shoot 5 different targets, one with each load. But it was cold, and windy, and the wind gusts were moving the muzzle.
So I hunkered down at the bench on the 100yd. line and just shot. I saved a few rounds for the Obie, just to see if it had a change of heart. It didn't and you can see the key holes on the target.

I'm really looking forward to some careful loading time, with proper case prep and weighing the boolits as I do with my 45cal. rifles. Playing with seating depth and all the rest.

I do have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the Lee mold. For an in-expensive piece of equipment it works well. I might even buy one of thier 20lb electric pots and get away from my turkey fryer and ladle.

48 BPCR

Oh and the Handle? Every where else it's 45BPCR, but that's what happens when you fill out a profile in the wee hours of the morning, with out glasses on :-)

JeffinNZ
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Your alloy is far too soft. No point water quenching 20 - 1 as it will not harden.

MtGun44
02-17-2010, 01:17 AM
+1 on alloy choice. You need at least wheelwts and if you are going to load heavy
charges like that, you'll need heat treated alloy for good accy.

I'm one for using pretty soft alloys in handguns, even maxloaded magnums, but I have
never had much luck with rifles beyond about 1800 fps with air cooled wheel wts. 20:1 is
far softer and without checking the books I think your load is faster than that.

Heat treat some wheel wt alloy and see how it does then. Also give 10 gr Unique or
16 gr 2400 a try, these two are "known good" loads that have worked in many guns
in different calibers by different shooters over many years. Well worth trying. You can
work up in velocity once you get the boolit working.

Bill

doubs43
02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
I've used 3:1 WW-Linotype in my Swedes with excellent results. However, I used AA-1680 in charges between 18.0 & 22.5 grains.... no filler. I always held the cartridge bullet up before loading to keep the powder orientation consistent. My bullet was the RCBS 168 grain GC and it shot beautifully.

Char-Gar
02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
+1 on the putty alloy. A binary alloy (tin and lead) won't temper. It take a dose of antimoney for the alloy to aquire hardness through tempering.

HORNET
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
If you send a P.M. to 45nut, he can change your Handle for you.......