PDA

View Full Version : Gen. sizing Q for reloading 45-70.

Okie2
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
So....I've assembled all my brass & reloading stuff for my new 45-70. Cleaned the new dies....shot the new Starline brass with "One Shot Case Lube" by Hornady...shot the inside of the sizing/de-priming die. Used a little spit to boot & when sizing the new brass is a substantial P.I.T.A.! Cases sticking way too much.... What am I doing wrong? RCBS Cowboy 45-70 dies, starline brass, Hornady Loc-N-Load AP press, 1-shot & spit.... Should I be using a better case lube....it seems like the lube isn't worth using. Help before I size the next 100 cases! Thanks, Scott. (ps...been reloading 30 years...never had this much of a problem...but, then again...never sized brass this big!)

jr545
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Some folks swear by that one shot stuff but I've not had much luck with it.
I always have a couple tins of Imperial kicking around and find it does the trick.

R.C. Hatter
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
:violin:Try either Lee resizing lube, or common Crisco. A little goes a long way and any residue left on the cases is easily removed with isopropyl alcohol on a shop rag. Clean your dies with carburator cleaner after use. Hope this is of help.

dragonrider
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
"What am I doing wrong?"

Your using One Shot,............Try Dillon case lube, or any of the other case lubes that you use with a pad, anything works better than One Shot. JMHO

Gelandangan
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I usually polish and lap any new dies I bought (even if I bought them second hand) using a fine car polish on a cleaning jag rotated by a cordless drill.

Sometimes there are tiny imperfections on the new dies that may catch the brass inserted into it.
On secondhand dies, there may be old and hardened case lubes that would do the same.

Just my 2c

DLCTEX
02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Clean and examine the die under a bright light to see if the interior surface is smooth. Are you coating the cases well and are you waiting for the carrier (alcohol) to evaporate from the one shot before sizing? If not then the alcohol will have the lube thinned so that it will be scrubbed off. Otherwise try the other lubes as suggested to see if it cures your problem. I'm using Lee dies and sizing is no problem. I used STP on an RCBS pad.

Marvin S
02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I done the exact same thing then used some LEE wax on em and it made a big difference.

Doc Highwall
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I use the Dillon spray lube and I noticed that some times it worked better then others especially when I was in a hurry it worked hard. Spray lubes contain two ingredients alcohol and lanolin. Alcohol is the carrier and lanolin is the lube and when you spray it on and try to use it BEFORE THE ALCOHOL HAS EVAPORATED it works like **** because the alcohol is not a lube. When you let the alcohol evaporate it works GREAT! I also like it because you can wash the lanolin off with soap and water without using solvents.

Throckmorton
02-17-2010, 02:13 AM
it's the lube.
Imperial wax takes more time to applly,but is a far superior product,especially on rifle cases,than one shot is,imho.

Lead Fred
02-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Ive been using RCBS lube for cases for decades now, Ive tried lots, keep coming back to it.

Ive always rolled the brass on a lube pad, then inserted them into the dies.

John Guedry
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
+2 on the Imperial I switched to it a year or two ago, and it beats the heck out of them pads.Never tried the spray lubes so I can't comment on them.

montana_charlie
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
RCBS Cowboy 45-70 dies, starline brass, Hornady Loc-N-Load AP press, 1-shot & spit.... Should I be using a better case lube....it seems like the lube isn't worth using.
I've never tried One Shot. Can't say a thing about it one way or the other.
I don't use much case lube because I don't do much full length resizing...never have.
I had a container of Lee case lube once, but it finally turned to concrete so I threw it away.

When I do size brass...including 45/90 cases...I use whatever is handy.
That might be lanolin or (even) a dab of Ballistol, but I have found that Brylcreem does as well as anything else.

You provided some pretty specific information, which makes it seem like you would like to get specific answers. But, did you really use spit in combination with the One Shot?
If so...why?

And (finally) it is pretty common knowledge that too much case lube is a bad thing.
With that in mind, I find myself wondering why you lube the cases...and the inside of the die.
I find it more advisable to keep lube cleaned out of the die and just apply the necessary amount to the case itself.

The only thing I ever lubed with spit was some round ball patches...and Brylcreem works better for that, too.

CM

STP22
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Switch to the Imperial die wax. That little tin of wax will last alot longer than nearly all the other choices. If you do switch to the Imperial Die Wax (Redding), clean the interior of your FL die prior to using it. The first case thru the die will feel a bit stiff on the downstroke. Afterwards, the effort will be much less.

It`s easy to use too much at first...you only need to use enough on each case to make them a bit greasy. For a righthanded user, swipe the wax with your left index finger and rub it on your thumb, then twist a case between the two fingers. One swipe should do 3 or 4 cases.

It`s often said that that little tin of wax should last you a lifetime.

Used as described, that`s not far from the truth.

Scott

spqrzilla
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Every time someone asks my help pulling a stuck case out of a sizing die, they have been using Hornady One Shot. Now some people say that Hornady One Shot works great but you have to follow the instructions exactly or it will fail.

My opinion is that if its that sensitive to how its applied, use something else. RCBS spray lube works well for me.

sundog
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I've been using One-Shot for years and never have had a problem.

Dframe
02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
it's the lube.
Imperial wax takes more time to applly,but is a far superior product,especially on rifle cases,than one shot is,imho.
What he said. Nothing is better than Imperial sizing die wax. Just a tiny bit rubbed on the cases and you're home.

Marvin S
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I use the one shot with good results on smaller easier to size cases like 32-20 and such. But for the big tuff ones I don't.