PDA

View Full Version : huntsman barrel

fixit
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
i came into posession of a huntsman bbl with a stuck breech plug, knowing it might have a bad bore. well it is pretty pitted, so i'm entertaining suggestions on what to do with it. i could, 1) leave it as is and use it as a blaster, 2) send it out to be bored to 54 cal.(this does sound attractive, if not expensive!), 3) stub it (i have a .458 1-24 twist bbl that screams handy express, 4)smooth bore it, or 5) something i haven't thought of! sound off, please! by the way, i'm a cheapskate, but will put out cash for the right scheme! ideas in detail, please!

dk17hmr
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
That .54 sounds like a good idea...if you could find someone to do it.

I dont think you could stub it because the underlug doesnt have extrators/ejector cut into it....I mean you could but have to figure out the extractor deal.

I probably would figure out how to get the breach plug out, get a new plug and use it for blasting. The 50 caliber huntsman barrel I had was very accurate even with a bit of pitting at the end of the barrel.

fixit
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
i got the plug out. (had to use my automotive grade impact wrenche and an improvised socket) my thoughts on stubbing were to stub it to a 458 muzzeloader with the existing breeching arrangement, screwing the stubbed in bbl to abut against the breechplug! as for the boring, i've heard there are some traditional muzzeloading bbl makers that do reboring at really nice prices, but i don't know if they would even touch something considered 'modern'!

dk17hmr
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
You could also do a liner
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(oihlaqidbzgvg2asdypsmb45))/categories/TableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=483

A 30 caliber round ball shooter would be pretty cool or a 9mm liner for soft cast 9mm slugs.

A black powder 9mm rifle would be really cool for shooting rabbits or small game.

Mk42gunner
02-17-2010, 03:11 AM
The twist on your 458 barrel is alittle slow for heavy boolits, but I think it would work okay for something like the Gould bullet (457122).

And you could tell people that you have a caseless .45-70.

Robert