PDA

View Full Version : Norinco 1887 Quality

SharpsShooter
02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm considering ordering one of these, but don't want to pay 1K for a Cimarron. Anyone have any first hand experience with the chinky model? Goood Lord! I must be insane buying a gun from China.........is it spring yet?

SS

76 WARLOCK
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I felt the same way back in the 90s, but I bought a Norinco 1911A1 it is the best of four 1911s I own. I then bought an early Norinco 97 win copy, it was real sloppy. After that they really fixed the China 1897 Win copy I have is much better than a real Winchester.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
There's a SASS Pard in Ohio named Lassiter that is a wiz with fixing the issues with these. Can get you Contact info if you want. They tend to have issues out the Box. You can also look at http://www.coyotecap.com The Chiappa in more but much higher Quality.

Sam :D

Muddy Creek Sam
02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Forgot to mention, I have looked at and fired many of these, But I shoot an Original 87 12 ga. The Funnest Gun I own.

SharpsShooter
02-16-2010, 09:17 PM
They tend to have issues out the Box. The Chiappa in more but much higher Quality.

...what sort of issues. Rough action?

SS

Muddy Creek Sam
02-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes also feed and extraction.

jnovotny
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I had to have one of these when they first came out. I bought one it was fuctional but that was it, felt like a box full of gravel in the action. It aint no race gun out of the box, but if you aren't in any hurry they work just fine. Imho the side by side you shoot now will do everything that you want out of one of these things, and I might add in less time.

SharpsShooter
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes also feed and extraction.

Hmm, comments like that make me lean towards a double coach gun. I've got a solid price of $430 for the norinco, but would hate to have to send it off to be tweaked straight out of the box. I'm not in the mood for something I'll have to use a ball peen hammer on to make it function. If the action is a little rough, I can pack it full of JB bore paste and give it to Sam ( my son) to cycle the action a few hundred times then hose it out with brake cleaner and lube it up with CLP and use the darn thing. Shotguns are utility items for the most part. I plan to use it for fun/ home defense /snake medicine / charging chipmunks and rogue rabbits perhaps. A coach gun with hammers from Cimarron is 500+ according to their site.

SS

Muddy Creek Sam
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Can't blame you there at all, I am a SASS shooter and am used to the Original. The ones I have seen that are used by other shooters work best unmodified with 2 1/2" shells, But they are being cycled at rapid speeds. These guns are a hybrid of the 87 and 1901 Actions, The Chiappa are based solely on the 1887.

Chihuahua Floyd
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
I have fired a Coyote Cap model. Very smooth. Would like to have my own.
CF

dualsport
02-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought one of the Chinese dbl. barrel 12 ga a few years ago. I think it's a copy of a 97 Remington, if I have my story straight. It was on sale, about $350 IIRC. Worth every penny, but no more. It does have two additional safeties the originals didn't have, a cross bolt and a tang, besides the half cock notch. The cross bolt safety jammed up, I tinkered with it 'til I figured it out and now it's fine, I don't use it anyway, I'd like to get rid of the cross bolt safety, it looks dumb on a classic gun. Otherwise the workmanship is good enough, woods plain but solid and well fit. I did find out that you don't want to fire both barrels at once with 3" duck loads, the gun came apart in my hands. Needs a more secure forend keeper.

iron mule
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
hey fellas i see you talkin about cimarron guns just a word of advise and caution before you deal with them // they will bend over backwards to make a sale, but when it comes to service after the sale you are totaly on your own// believe me i know have been there and left hanging by them i am a dealer and used them for a while as a supplier and i understand that things can go wrong but when you order 44 caliber gun for a customer and when it arrives it has a barrel stamped 44 but slugs .452 and you call cimmarron and explain this to them and you send the gun back at your expense and they say nothing wrong barrel is marked 44 makes you wonder took a year to get this straightened up then next order gun arrived with broken had spring and cylinder locked up after 1st round was fired barrel cylinder gap was.001 called informed them of this sent gun back at my expense again , gun was returned 4 months later no work was done it had the exact same problems caaled informed them of that sent it back at my expense again 6 months later they called gun was fixed would be shipped next week i told them do not ship i would be out of twn for 3 weeks but that i would be in fredericksburg tx the next week would it be ok if i picked it up in person they said ok to that,
6 days later i arrived in fredericksburg called them for directions to the place no one there could give me the directions on how to get there and it is not a very big town, i told them to just ship the gun to my shop and 4 months later it finally showed up and still no work had been done i ended up repairing it my self /// your experience with them may be different but since this i refuse to do buisness with them any more
mule
these are not the only problems i have had with them just the ones that broke the camels back