PDA

View Full Version : use of Dutch Shoultz acuracy method

scrapcan
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I remember seing this mentioned here some time back and have not been able to fidn it with the search.

Is anyone using this method? I have thought about purchasing it to read and put on the shelf for when a good ML comes my way.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/index.html

HORNET
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I bought a copy of it, got it about a week ago. Now if the 8" of snow on the range would go away and it would warm up I could try it out. The reference that you were looking for was probably http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65576 . Some of the info is available in the Q&A section on his website.

Ajax
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I have used it to awesome results. it work just make sure you follow it closely.

Andy

Maven
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I purchased Dutch's system years ago when I couldn't get my new .50cal. Green Mtn. drop-in bbl. to shoot accurately. His advice was most helpful and solved the problem in no time.* Btw, his "dry patch"** idea is also worth trying. Dutch is also a hell of a nice guy to deal with.

*My T/C Hawken was .45cal. (had both the 1:48 and 1:66 twists) and required a .440" RB + a .015" patch. The Green Mtn. bbl. needed a .490" RB + .018" patch, but I was ignorant of that until Dutch suggested using a thicker one.

**In essence you were supposed soak patching strips in 1 part water soluble machine oil to 5 parts water, then 1:6, and finally 1:7 and then let them dry. You then bench tested the rifle with each concentration until you found one that worked best. However, he no longer recommends water soluble machine oil as the ingredients have changed. Ballistol is the current substitute. Btw, you start with an accurate patch, RB and lube combination and then proceed to test the dry patching from a clean bbl.

PAT303
02-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I tried it but it doesn't work over here in the desert,I need wetter patches. Pat

waksupi
02-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Pat, did you swab between shots, as was recommended?

PAT303
02-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Yep thats the only way to do it.BP shoots very ''dry'' where I live,it's been above 40 degree's celcius for weeks so a really wet patch followed by a dry one is the only thing that works,his dry patch method only gives you a stuck patched ball. Pat

scrapcan
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys, I think it I will get a copy and try to come up with a smokepole.

iron brigade
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
i have his info and it works.

stubshaft
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I've used his method for years and it works great for me. I use it in my flincklocks and Vincent percussion. You have to experiment to find the ratio that works for the individual gun but while shooting I was able to see either an improvement or whether or not the groups got worse.

waksupi
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I used it today with my new flinter. Worked well, as usual! The only thing that keeps me away from one hole groups, is operator error.