PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes

Sonoma2k2
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
hey guys i'm looking for a safe. price range would like to be kept at under 1500.00 any suggestions? what should i stay away from? i like some models that have the pistol holders on the back of the doors. thanks for your time and info.

scrapcan
02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Read through the following thread it has some good info in it

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18963&highlight=gun+safes

There is also a good thread on here somewhere that discusses locks. I did not take the time to search for it, If I wre you I would try to find it. Thre are some good comments form locksmiths in it.

Czech_too
02-17-2010, 06:22 AM
I won't recommend one brand over another here, but I do recommend that you look closely at the fire rating. That and get one larger than that which you think you presently need.

Cherokee
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
+1 get one larger than you think you need.

ole 5 hole group
02-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Depending upon what all you plan to use the safe for - $1,500.00 may not get it. If you plan to keep valuables, documents etc in addition to your firearms you’ll probably be looking at a safe weighing in the neighborhood of 1,200 pounds or so and fire rated at 1,275* for 90 minutes. Getting it delivered will cost a little also but well worth it, unless you are familiar with relocating big heavy objects. Mine ran right at $3,000.00 delivered and setup in my basement. Like others have said - get one that is rated for at least twice the number of firearms you intend on possessing, as I think they're rated for marlin lever actions without scopes.

sdelam
02-17-2010, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE= as I think they're rated for marlin lever actions without scopes.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was single shot, break open .22's.

DeadWood
02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
compare and read this site

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

buy once cry once

Sonoma2k2
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm going looking today around town. we have a Gander Mtn here and some others that stock safes pretty well. I saw 1 awhile back it had the word "centurion" on it. it was at gander where they sell the liberty brand. so many decisions and stuff. I have about 30+ guns so i'll be looking out for a 48 to 50 + capacity. that means theres room to buy more.

lwknight
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
It seems to be a fact that when guns are left alone in the dark safe , they tend to propagate themselves.

cheese1566
02-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Make sure you can actually get a gun in it. No really!!

I bought a very basic one "Homak" or something just for the fact it was a close out for $50. I know you have a bigger budget. But this one has a shelf 1/4 of the way down. You have to insert the barrel first and dance the gun in and out. Plus there is no room for scoped rifles. Very tight. Bad deal with semi-autos that have cocking tabs like my Garand and and Rem 1100's.

Long story, short- take time to see one in person before ordering to check the lay out and ergonomics.

Jal5
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
the Centurion is actually made by Liberty Safes and I just bought one at Lowes recently. It is meeting my needs pretty well, small collection of rifles, pistols, plus room to store some ammo and the jewelry when we are away from home.

but I should have gotten the next size bigger one...money dictated this smaller one.

Joe