PDA

View Full Version : Promo?

AviatorTroy
02-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Not too familiar with this and haven't heard too much of a buzz around here. Supposedly the same by WEIGHT as Red Dot. This makes it appealing to me for .38 and .45ACP loads, as well as a multitude of light cast rifle loads. Anyone use this?

Oh yea, and it's cheap.

:redneck:

bohokii
02-16-2010, 01:29 AM
yea at about $10 less than bullseye in the 8 pound container it seems like good value but red dot seems to want a tad more powder than bullseye in similar loadings

Blackhawk Convertable
02-16-2010, 01:29 AM
I use it all the time for Cowboy Action. I load my 44-40, 38-40, 44 spl, 12 gauge, and 45acp all with Promo. Use the same loading data as Red Dot. I'm told that it's recut Red Dot and just a tad more dense, weight for weight.

dougader
02-16-2010, 02:14 AM
I actually prefer Red Dot to Bullseye so Promo is a powder I have been looking at.

wiljen
02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Promo = red dot by weight but NOT BY VOLUME so make sure you weigh charges when setting up measures. Promo is re-manufactured from lots of other powders that failed to make the cut so its density varies markedly from lot to lot. Great stuff, but don't measure by volume from one lot to the next.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2010, 08:43 AM
for the little savings there is i still think bullseye is a better deal. you use a tad less and it meters so much better in a measure.

fecmech
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I think Wiljen got it right. I have no experience with it in metallic cartridges but have used it a lot in my 12 ga. for sporting clays. It works fine there and the price is right but I have noticed some differences with RD. I shoot a Beretta 390 gas operated auto and when shooting Promo in cold weather I see fire coming out the ejection port occasionally as the shell ejects. I have never gotten that with Red Dot although it has happened with Remington promotional loads. I'll continue to use it in the shotgun but I'm with Lloyd on the use of Bullseye instead for the metallic stuff.

35remington
02-19-2010, 07:41 PM
In actual use in metallics, it takes less weight of Red Dot to equal the velocities of Bullseye.

This has been pretty well known for some time now. No need to take my word for it.....see for yourself. It's been discussed here at some length.

Loading data also confirms this.

In 45 ACP sized charges of 4 grains and heavier Red Dot meters well enough. In lighter charges for 38, 380, 9mm, 32, etc. Bullseye's better metering gives more satisfaction.

Which is why Red Dot is a standard in 45 ACP for me, but Bullseye is superior for the small stuff. I've been trying Promo for awhile and I have no real complaints for general pistol shooting.

cherokee235b
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Promo is an excellent powder with the same burn rate and pressure as Red Dot. I do a lot of trapshooting and use about 24 to32 pounds a year. It is cheaper in price but makes a little more smoke and dirt then Red Dot. For the cost it is hard to beat!

LAH
03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Powder Valley has Promo 82.60/8lbs & Bulleseye 98.50/8lbs. That's a fair difference. I purchased Promo sometime ago when you could get it for less. If memory serves 75.00/8lbs. It's just what I needed for my 45's................Creeker

mtgrs737
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I have been going back and forth between Promo and Red dot for use in my 45, 38 spl. loads but am torn between the price savings and the little red dots. I like the idea of the red dots to ID the powder but since I label the reloads anyway what difference does it make? I like to pick up the powder at the Tulsa Gunshow from Powder Valley so I can save the miles so I need to make a choice soon while they have both in stock.

evan price
03-15-2010, 04:50 AM
What I was told is that Promo is Red Dot's old formula, before it said "New, cleaner burning Red Dot!" on the label. So it is a bit dirtier. It does not have the red taggant. It does load and shoot like red dot by weight NOT volume. As mentioned above, if you have a measure set up for Red Dot you need to triple check your throws. It's as fast as Red Dot.

I don't like fat flaky powders, tough to load in small diameter cases, so I personally prefer Titegroup for 9mm and .38 spl.

Bullseye, Clays, 700-X, Red Dot, Promo- all those fast, fast flake powders load similarly.

5 grains of Promo and a cast 230 round nose is the .45acp load of choice.