PDA

View Full Version : My slug gun project

pods8
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Been lurking for a few months and figure I might as well throw up a post here. This info is redundant for a few folks I recognize from another forum but many folks I don't know as well.

I'm loading some full bore slugs from the mold of a member here, he can take credit there if he wants. I was holding off on posting until I got my loading down so my results wouldn't reflect poorly.

I'm shooting a 12ga ultra slug hunter with a redfield 2-7x33.

Weather and time finally cooperated for another range session this weekend. The results fall into the category of "good, band, and ugly" but I've got some feedback to roll with now and some promising loads.

Six loadings, all using the 1-3/8oz full bore slug (EDIT: the WSF loads, 5 and 6, were 1-1/4oz slugs), 4 shots each. Pulled a bore snake through after each 4 shot group. I filled some of the slugs with hot glue and used a q-tip with ballistol for a release agent. Tried out some steel cut oats in some since I didn't have any cream of wheat or such to use. All shots at 100yds.

1) 3" fiocchi, federal 209 primer, 42gr blue dot, 12s3 wad with the petals removed, one 12ga nitro card, glue filled --> 2nd best load, has some promise to play with, depending on if I pulled that one shot or not
2) 3" fiocchi, federal 209 primer, 42gr blue dot, 12s3 wad with the petals removed, one 12ga nitro card, oat filled --> bad
3) 3" fiocchi, federal 209 primer, 42gr blue dot, 12s4 wad with the petals removed, two 12ga nitro cards, no filler --> bad
4) 3" fiocchi, federal 209 primer, 42gr blue dot, 12s4 wad with the petals removed, two 12ga nitro cards, glue filler --> best 3 shots, I don't know what the heck happened to the 4th shot but based on the 3 shots I think this will likely be what I'll work with along with load 1.
5) 3" fiocchi, fiocchi 616 primer, 31gr wsf, 12s3 wad with the petals removed, one 12ga nitro card, oat filler --> Ugly, only three on paper and spread all out
6) 3" fiocchi, fiocchi 616 primer, 31gr wsf, 12s3 wad with the petals removed, one 12ga nitro card, glue filler --> VERY UGLY, only one on paper, not even worth a picture.

Load 1
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/pods8/DSC03076.jpg

Load 2
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/pods8/DSC03077.jpg

Load 3
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/pods8/DSC03078.jpg

Load 4
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/pods8/DSC03079.jpg

Load 5
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/pods8/DSC03080.jpg

Blammer
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
good shooting on loads 1 and 4!

turbo1889
02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Load #4 looks up to and even slightly beyond my personal standards for 100-yards with that type of slug fired through a pretty much factory NEF-USH. Except for the absence of a fourth hole in the target which also puzzles me as well. Part of me wonders if you got really lucky and it flew through that oval hole made by two of the other shots, but another part of me says that’s probably just wishful thinking.

Didn't work very well at all with the oats, that's for sure. Are "steel cut oats" a standard item from a regular grocery store that come in a box? Might try putting a few rounds down range myself; some with that in the bases, some with regular shot buffer, and some with COW to see if it matters what exactly kind of dry powder is used to fill the HB of a foster slug or if perhaps that method is inferior to hot glue fill period.

It has been a little while since I personally was fiddling with filled bases in a rifled bore gun. Most recently I've been trying candy jaw breaker balls with a smooth bore gun trying to emulate the Federal factory true ball loads. So far mixed results, I think some of the balls are cracking under the strain and some aren’t.

pods8
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Except for the absence of a fourth hole in the target which also puzzles me as well. Part of me wonders if you got really lucky and it flew through that oval hole made by two of the other shots, but another part of me says that’s probably just wishful thinking.

I pondered it as well but there didn't seem to be lead marks on the paper to go along with that theory. I may have yanked it, there could have been something a little off on the load, etc. Long story short though some more of this configuration are going to loaded and fired so time will tell the true tale.

Didn't work very well at all with the oats, that's for sure. Are "steel cut oats" a standard item from a regular grocery store that come in a box? Might try putting a few rounds down range myself; some with that in the bases, some with regular shot buffer, and some with COW to see if it matters what exactly kind of dry powder is used to fill the HB of a foster slug or if perhaps that method is inferior to hot glue fill period.

Steel cut oats can be in boxed form or just in the bulk section. Its copped up oats that have a bit of a granular appearance, might have been too coarse. I don't know if something like flour would be good since it can be packed tightly or just messy exiting the barrel.

I figured I'd maybe give candle wax a whirl. The glue works nice but takes a bit more effort to sand it flat which could get old after a while. Wax seems like it'd be pretty easy to shave flat with a razor blade.

Anyone have any thoughts on buffer?

http://geeksdreamgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/steelvsnotoats.jpg

tomcat388th
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Pods I have used my bullet lube to backfill my lyman havn't seen a change in accuracy. Also you can get a pound of a canning wax at walyworld or maybe your grocery store. I have also used flour as a back filler when i was messing around with lee keydrive slugs. Poured about a 1/2 inch in a bowl and just kept pushing the slug down into it to pack the cavity tight
Justin
Illinideer

pods8
02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Pods I have used my bullet lube to backfill my lyman havn't seen a change in accuracy. Also you can get a pound of a canning wax at walyworld or maybe your grocery store. I have also used flour as a back filler when i was messing around with lee keydrive slugs. Poured about a 1/2 inch in a bowl and just kept pushing the slug down into it to pack the cavity tight
Justin
Illinideer

Good deal. For this next round I was planning to use hot glue like before, wax (whether its candle or canning type), and probably some cornmeal or such. Best results will be weighted against assembly hassle. ;)