PDA

View Full Version : Pressure estimate

outdoorfan
02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I need an idea of where the pressure is at for a 140 grain boolit being driven by 7.5 grains of Unique out of a .357 Magnum.

Thanks

Rocky Raab
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I had to do some cross-comparing, because Lyman doesn't show a combo exactly like that. But I'm going to guess that you'd be seeing somewhere near 18,000 CUP, and not over about 20,000 CUP. I don't fully trust QuickLoad, preferring to use actual fired results.

outdoorfan
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you. I have another question for those with Quickload or other means of figuring this out. In a .45 Colt (Ruger), approx. what charge of Unique would produce that same pressure with a 280 grain boolit?

MtGun44
02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
No offense, but how many reloading manuals do you own?

You should have at least 2 and 3 or 4 is better so you can get multiple solid references.

What if I told you that xx gr was a safe load? What if it is NOT SAFE? but if you have no legit
references, you may be getting bad data from some person you don't know on the
web.

The powder manufacturers have online references, too. Great to ask here, but be sure to have
some good solid references of your own to help verify online recommendations.

I do not mean to jump on you, but we are getting a lot of questions like this that sound like
the person has no loading data manual at all, if so this is very dangerous.

When I start on a new caliber or powder, I get out all the books that I have to cross verify. Sometimes
I find some loads that are probably too hot because they exist in only one reference, and all
the others show a lower max load. Best to have enough references to make sure you get
at least two agreeing, and three that are in approximate agreement are a lot more comforting
to me.

Stay safe.

Bill

outdoorfan
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
No offense, but how many reloading manuals do you own? Two. Nosler & Speer, but neither one says zippo about what I want to know.

You should have at least 2 and 3 or 4 is better so you can get multiple solid references.

What if I told you that xx gr was a safe load? What if it is NOT SAFE? but if you have no legit
references, you may be getting bad data from some person you don't know on the
web. You are assuming that I am stupid and ignorant, which I am not. Yes, I can see your point. Let those people do what they want to do, and the problem will hopefully take care of iteself. The load that I am inquiring about is not even close to the danger zone in pressure, so relax. I know what I'm asking for, and if nobody wants to respond with an answer, that's okay.

The powder manufacturers have online references, too. I do not know where I can go online to find load references showing pressure for Unique. I can go to Hodgdon to find great data, but Unique is what I'm inquiring about. Great to ask here, but be sure to have
some good solid references of your own to help verify online recommendations.

I do not mean to jump on you, but we are getting a lot of questions like this that sound like
the person has no loading data manual at all, if so this is very dangerous. I am not a rookie reloader.

When I start on a new caliber or powder, I get out all the books that I have to cross verify. Sometimes
I find some loads that are probably too hot because they exist in only one reference, and all
the others show a lower max load. Best to have enough references to make sure you get
at least two agreeing, and three that are in approximate agreement are a lot more comforting
to me.

Stay safe. Yes!

Bill

-----