PDA

View Full Version : 22A spring reduction?

randyrat
02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm shooting Bullseye with my Smith 22A and CCI is the cats meow, but can't find the stuff anymore and i'm tired of waiting for it (back order). Well i found Aguila to be Zeroed the same as CCI standard velocity and very accurate. BUT the dang stuff has a FTF or a stove pipe once in 20 rds and i think it's because of the lower vel. (Never happens with standard velocity rounds of ammo.)
Why couldn't I take one or two rings off my recoil spring to lighten it just a tad to compensate for the lower vel/lower power of the Aguila ammo?

I just like to check incase new recoil springs are slow in comming. I can't wait a week for a new spring in the mail if i screw it up. I shoot twice a week.

ANeat
02-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Thats a pretty common "fix" Randy. I found a case of CCI standard on gunbroker for a good price a few months ago.

I know several guys that shoot Aguila, its good ammo. but like you said the gun may need tuned a bit for 100% function. Its not uncommon to have to clip off a couple coils to get it to work.

I would check with Brownells or someplace and see if I could get a replacement or even a aftermarket Wolf or something.
Then take the clippers to the range and start taking off a coil at a time till its working better

randyrat
02-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I would jump on a couple cases of CCI standard also. It's tough to find this time of year or this year.
I'll clip a coil at a time and see if that stops the FTF or SPs. I'm impressed with the accuracy. I just ordered 1K of the Match rifle to see how that works also. It's got an additional 100 or so FT/SEC vel. Thanks

randyrat
02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I clipped one coil off and only had one Stove Pipe in 100 with the match rifle ammo. I'll go another1- 1/2 coil and leave it there. I have another spare spring on hand now in case i decide to shoot hotter ammo later or i screw thin one up.

ANeat
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Just remember not to run any high velocity stuff after the trim job

randyrat
02-22-2010, 08:38 AM
So far i clipped 1 1/2 coils off with no problems. I ran 120 rds yesterday with out cleaning and no FTF or SPs..Very accurate ammo.
I ran a 537 out of 600...Now if i can fine tune the nuts just between the ears i'll be set.
Between Ammo change and a rail losening up, i had 3 weeks of frustrating shooting.
I'm no gunsmith, so i like to check before i tinker with my guns.Thanks

ANeat
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I ran a 537 out of 600...

Good job..... Ohhh, so close to an expert score (540)

randyrat
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
It sure is fun. I shoot with a older gentleman that has shared his skills and taught me a lot about shooting bullseye/pistol shooting. He is 74 years old and always outshoots me 95% of the time.

He out shoots me on a bad day (his bad day).

I am so gratefull to have the privalige of shooting next to this fellow it almost brings tears to my eyes to think of him quiting someday. So i try my hardest to keep the spirit alive, the shooting spirit. I just had to share this.

ANeat
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
I see the same thing and do my best to carry on as well