PDA

View Full Version : Die modifications

hedgehorn
02-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a question that has had to have been asked before but cant find the answer, I have a Dillon 550b and I am using my RCBS dies for a couple of calibers. I have an issue with the shell alignment with the carbide sizing die. If the shell doesnt approach the die straight the case mouth gets caught on the carbide ring. Is it possible to chamfer the carbide or is it too hard? Thanks in advance, Todd

02-15-2010, 01:08 AM
hedgehorn,

I'm not a metallurgist, but will say no. Tungsten carbide is about the toughest metal there is.

hedgehorn
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
That is what I was afraid of. Looks like I will be buying the dillon sizing die. I already bought the crimp die so that I could seat and crimp in two different stages. I shoulda just bought the whole set. :(

dudel
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Well, something machined it into the shape it is now, so it can be machined. However, I suspect it's not something you can pick up at Lowes or HD.

Dillon dies have a more generous flare at the bottom. Sometimes the holddown bolt on the 550 shell plate needs to be snugged up a bit more so that the indexing ball locks better. You might want to check the spring (for pressure), the ball for wear and the bottom of the shellplate for grit/dirt buildup.

jdgabbard
02-15-2010, 07:06 AM
I have the same problems with my single stage Lee that I use. Sometimes the case mouths snag on the RCBS dies... I come to live with it and gently guide the case mouth in. But this does happen very rarely even when I dont guide it...

stillwell
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
carbide is like glass hard as h..l but fragle dont try to cut you will only chip it or loose finsh. a green wheel will grind it but i stongly advise agenst it

Shiloh
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
You will chip it for sure. Even using diamond bits, it is susceptible to chipping. I think it is machined and semi-polished befor final heat treating.

Shiloh

Edubya
02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
That is what I was afraid of. Looks like I will be buying the dillon sizing die. I already bought the crimp die so that I could seat and crimp in two different stages. I shoulda just bought the whole set. :(

Well, now that you have a plan, you could go ahead with your attempt to machine your RCBS die.
EW

hedgehorn
02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I think it has everything to do with the flare. I am looking at the toolhead that I use for the 9mm luger and it has dillon dies in it. The flare is much more pronounced on the dillon die. I will just buy the remaining two dies for the set and give the rcbs dies to my son. Thanks for all the help.

jmorris
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
I sharpen all of my carbide tooling with a diamond wheel

burfurd
02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Call RCBS, I think they will replace the die with one that is for progressive presses. These have a wider opening to allow for the misalignment of the Dillon's, Hornady's and other progressives brass in their shell plates. Just tell them that you are using a progressive and they brass is hanging up in the die opening.

burfurd

deltaenterprizes
02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Call RCBS, I think they will replace the die with one that is for progressive presses. These have a wider opening to allow for the misalignment of the Dillon's, Hornady's and other progressives brass in their shell plates. Just tell them that you are using a progressive and they brass is hanging up in the die opening.

burfurd

I second that.

hedgehorn
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give RCBS a call and let you all know what the outcome is.

hedgehorn
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I called today and surprised they were open. I waited on the phone for almost an hour and was disconnected. I thought well I will try one more time. A half an hour passed and I got someone on the line. I explained about the issue with my die and the lady on the line said well send it back and we will look at it. I dont know what their turnaround time is but I am a little concerned that I may wait and not really resolve anything if it meets their spec. I think I will just order the Dillon sizing die and be done with it.

WallyM3
05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I realize that this thread is stale, but cemented carbide is ground with silicon carbide wheels. If you have a way to rotate the die rapidly, dressing it with a SC stone will reshape it. I've done the same thing with steel dies (shortening .41 Magnum crimp dies to .41 Special length after facing them to length in a lathe), but it won't matter if the stone is matched to the material.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2010, 03:19 AM
You are making sure that your fingers are not trying to guide the case into the die and are well out of the way aren't you? That is the most common reason dies clip the mouth of the case as the case is leaning back if your finger is on it, no matter how lightly. Just a thought.

Doc Highwall
05-30-2010, 12:14 PM
If the shell plate on the Dillon is too loose it allows the case to flop around at all four stations of the Dillon 550B.

Tom-ADC
05-31-2010, 09:49 AM

When I bought my 550 I found the same thing you did, and slowing converted my popular calibers to Dillon dies BTW very good stuff.
I still use Lee dies for my 45-70 but then Dillon didn't offer them.
Also double check the spring that locates the brass for sizing it has to be right or the brass will hang up, on my 45-70 I start the brass up with my finger on the base of the brass. Doesn't hang up everytime maybe every 10th.

MtGun44
06-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Tungsten or Silicon Carbide is a ceramic not a metal. Metal with something else is not a metal
any more. Like Aluminum oxide (sanding grit and grinding wheels, sharpening stones) is
not aluminum anymore.

There is a special green wheel which (IIRC) will grind carbide well. I better be careful, I
am almost telling more than I know - a tool and die maker friend told me about this
green wheel - but I may have that wrong.

Bill

Xcaliber
06-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Before spending anymore of your hard earned cash. Check your set screw that locks your bolt to the shell plate and reset it to index where you can feel it indexing . Then check the wire spring that holds the case upright in the shell plate.
you want it snug where you can slide in your cases in and out.
Another option would be to chuck your die in a lathe or Drill press . Get round stock small enough to go in and out of the case mouth. Cut a slit with a bandsaw
on 1 end of the round stock about 5/8" in. Run some 400 grde. emory cloth thru the split in the round stock and polish the inside opening of your die. Try your cases for better fit as you polish . Just don't get your die opening where the carbide is too hot. It will get hot. Try that if possible. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

WallyM3
06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
That green wheel is the silicon carbide (Post# 15). Diamond wheels (or stones) can be used, too.