PDA

View Full Version : .458 Win Mag

obssd1958
06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Howdy everyone! I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to join this fine group of people:mrgreen: !
I have a question that I am hoping to get some input on from any and all!
I currently have a Savage 110 in .300 Win Mag and I have the opportunity to get a complete kit to change it over to a .458 Win Mag. Anybody here have any experience with the .458? Anyone swap out the barrels on their Savage to change calibers?:confused:
Thanks for any info or words of wisdom!

Don

Bass Ackward
06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Anyone swap out the barrels on their Savage to change calibers?:confused:
Thanks for any info or words of wisdom!

Don

Don,

Yea. Every once in awhile. That is the advantage of the system.

Since you are staying with the same case size head, all you are going to have to watch is that the barrel contour is the same size so it fits in your stock. Otherwise, you will have work to do. I doubt that it will be plop and drop.

StarMetal
06-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Trout Ackwards....err I mean Bass is right. That larger 458 barrel would have a larger profile one would think. :Fire:

Joe

versifier
06-16-2006, 12:54 AM
I have played with the .458 with greatly reduced loads. A friend built one on a Mauser action. Then he redid it in .458x2". We figured that the .45-70 would do anything we wanted to do with much better brass life, so he sold it. I'm not sure that it would feed without problems, but I have not played with a Savage with the magnum bolt face. The conversion is easy enough with the .30-06 family, though. My personal opinion of the project is that you are trading one of the more versatile magnums for a chambering that is extremely abusive on the shoulder and basically tits-on-a-bull useless for hunting in N. America. Are you planning on a trip to Africa?

obssd1958
06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info on the barrel channel, that was one that I hadn't thought of. I do have 2 stocks though, the original wood and a composite replacement - and a dremel!![smilie=1:

Planning a trip to Africa? No... :( But dreaming of a trip - absolutely! Unfortunately, the lottery is probably my best bet in being able to pay for a trip like that, but I don't buy the tickets!

Back to the .458 - a little background in my thought process is probably in order. I have a 30-06 that is a tack driver with handloads and 1 factory load (Remington 165gr core-lokt). That is my go to gun for big game - up to white tails size. I bought a .338 Win Mag last year, and I am currently working up loads for it in bullet weights from 200gr to 275 gr. That should just about cover everything from mule deer to moose. That leaves my .300 Win Mag kind of hanging out there without a real niche to fill. THAT's why I when I saw the barrel and change over kit for the .458, I thought I would take a look and research it. It's probably mostly a bigger is better and giggle factor thing, but I could always explain it to SWMBO by telling her it's necessary for that someday trip to Africa!!

I would be interested in getting the details on the loads that you worked up, if I decide to go through with this project!

Don

onceabull
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
obs-----: Welcome to the board !! If you take the 458WM project on, I can offer a fine selection of boolits for trial,and I'm in SW Idaho (Stockton North). My 458's turned out to fit right in with the general commentary re:this cartridge with Cast boolits. LONG WIDE THROATS: thus some "challenges"expected with the general run of non-custom made moulds.BUT,lyman 462460 works & I have it.... onceabull

Bucks Owin
06-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I think the .458 would be great fun to play with. Yes, the recoil isn't for the "timid" when approaching factory ballistics but I should imagine that loads with CBs at .45/70 velocities would be a fun way to practice as well as "work up" to the full tilt pachyderm stompers....

The .300 Win is a great round too, very popular, and I bet you could recover some of the conversion cost by selling that barrel. I've owned both the .300 and .338 Win mags and if I had to choose, I'd go with your choice too. The .338 is in a totally differnt class than the .30 cals for BIB game as well as being very accurate and less "fussy" regarding bullet weights/POA. My .300 shot all weights well but I had to sight in every time I changed. The .338 shot pretty much into the same group to 200 yds with the 200, 225 and 250 gr....

JMO,

Dennis

PS. The .338 was a '63 M-70 "Alaskan" that my Dad got a great deal on. (The '64 version was about to come out don'tcha know! :roll: ) Anyway, the ol' man took it to the range, bore sighted it, and put up two targets at 150 yds. He then fired two 3 shot groups, benchrest, on both targets. One was 5/8" and the other 3/4" with Win factory ammo! Unreal....Wish that rifle was still in the cabinet! Of course Dad got a yen for some new toy one day.....sigh

RangerBob
06-17-2006, 06:21 AM
If you decide to shoot reduced loads with cast bullets, I can share some load information (not really data) as to what has worked and what hasn't.

I'm up to about 40 different load combinations in my Ruger #1 Tropical.

Let me know if you're interested.

Bob.

azrednek
06-18-2006, 07:05 PM
basically tits-on-a-bull useless for hunting in N. America. Are you planning on a trip to Africa?

That is the same thing I hear on my 375 H&H project. There is however "I want one" that out weighs my need to have an African trip planned. If anybody asks "what are you going to shoot with it" replying with "anything I want" usually answers it well. With the exception of Polar Bear there probably isn't a North American game animal that couldn't be bought down with a 30/30 or 270 and we can all travel today's highways in fuel efficent 4 cylinder cracker boxes but if in your mind bigger is better go for it. I'm continuing with my 375 project and will continue to drive my gas guzzling, 4-barreled carb, large V-8 pick-up around town at the legal speed limit. Good luck with the project!!

obssd1958
06-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks for all of the great input from everyone. I appreciate all of you taking the time to chime in. I will also take up the offers on sharing load info, since I went ahead and ordered the barrel today!![smilie=w:

As soon as I get the barrel and get it installed, I will let you all know. I'll probably take this to the PROJECTS area at that time too.

Thanks again folks!!

Bullshop
06-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Where did you order the barrel from, and if you dont mind saying how much was it?
BIC/BS

obssd1958
06-21-2006, 03:43 AM
I don't mind sharing where I'm getting the barrel from or how much I am paying - just don't laugh too hard, or lay the ridicule on too thick!!:roll:

I'm getting it through the Sportman's Guide. I get e-mail specials from them once or twice a week, and a couple of weeks ago they were offering Savage replacement barrel kits for $130 to $150 bucks. They are E.R. Shaw barrels and they come with the go, no-go, gauges, barrel nut wrench, bore paste, gun oil, and instructions.

Here's a link to the page:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=270995

Rafe Covington
07-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I think you will like the .458 with cast bullets, that is all I shoot in mine. I have been shooting a 540 gr. bullet with imr 4759, shoots great, I was going to buy a Sharps rifle but this shoots too good to get rid of.

GOOD SHOOTING