PDA

View Full Version : Home defense handgun part II

philthephlier
02-14-2010, 08:58 PM
If your choice was between a Springfield Armory XDM and a CZ 75 both in 40 S&W, which would you choose and why?

WHITETAIL
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I can't say because I do not own either.:veryconfu

goste
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I suppose by Springfield armory, you mean the XD?

I've shot alot of rounds out of an XD, and really like it. I have a CZ75B, and like it a lot also.

If I could only have one or the other, I would go with the CZ. I carry one on duty now and then, and I have the choice of DA, as mandated by my Dept., or condition one, when off duty...You will find a lot more after market stuff, for the XD.

Once again, For ME, I would rather have the choice in 9MM, as I'm not much of a40 fan.

What are your intended uses for this pistol?

spqrzilla
02-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, it depends on whether or not you want a polymer striker-fired, no safety style of operation ( the XD ) or whether you want the steel dual-style of either double-action or cocked and locked action ( CZ 75 ).

Both are well made guns and well supported. You may find that finding accessories like holsters is a bit easier with the XD.

mpmarty
02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Neither! I won't trust a "short and weak" as a defense round in any pistol.
My 10mms on the other hand are all three tanfoglio designs of the CZ in all steel commonly known as "witness" pistols. I also like the XD-45 with other than semi wad cutter ammo as it won't feed and function with semi wad cutters at all.

With that said I feel quite comfortable with a couple of 1911s in 45acp stashed around the premises where I can get to them in a hurry on route to my shotty.

awaveritt
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't have anything in 40cal. but I love my CZ75B in 9mm. I'm having great luck with the Lee TL-356-124-2R boolit over 3.5 grs. Bullseye. Feeds and cycles good and is plenty accurate. With those 16rd magazines though, I'm about to load up a 50cal ammo box full :D

LAH
02-14-2010, 10:11 PM
The CZ turns my crank..................Creeker

pps
02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
CZ. The CZ just fits my hand better than the ZD.

45r
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I had a cz 40 and it was ok but i sold it and got a kimber 45acp happy with it very accurate.

walker77
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I can tell you right now, you arnt going to get the answer you want to get on this. Its just like ford or chevy or toyota. ( couldnt resist) Everyone has their preference. Every company has their lemons. I carry a H&K P2000SK 40S&W loaded with corbon dpx. I know its not lead, but the dpx is a very nasty round! I know its some what off topic, but you can see one of the test rounds i found in my burm.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/nwalker77/IMG_1864-1.jpg

HeavyMetal
02-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Currently looking for a "deal" on a CZ 75 (85 ambi?) in 40 S&W.

I have always felt that most commercial loads for the 40 are way to heavy in the boolit payload dept!

Loads like the previously mentioned Corbon, moving in the 1200 to 1300 FPS range, are where the 40 really shines and and what I will eventually wind up with!

For me this choice is simple: No Plastic Period!

walker77
02-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, imagine the dpx when it petals open chopping up flesh arteries and veins. If you ask me, its worth the almost $2 a round. As far as the plastic comment, i have seen high speed video showing a glock being fired, and that frame is flexing like crazy. I have yet to see anything like that with hk. Im sure it happens. But when it comes to a carry gun i would much rather carry my hk than my all metal sig. I love both guns. But you can hardly tell that hk is there in a inside waist band holster. But then again, we are talking about a home defense gun. So all that doesnt really doesnt matter. I would probably side with you with an all metal gun. Its late, im rambling....

MtGun44
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Polymer modulus of elasticity is typically in the 500,000 psi range where aluminum is in
the 10 million psi range and steel is in the 30 million psi range. Modulus of elasticity is
a measure of flex for a given load. If you made three identical rods - one of each material
and clamped it in a vise horizontally and hung a weight from the end you would have
the aluminum rod bending 3 times as much as the steel rod (10 million is 1/3 of 30 milllion)
and the polymer rod would bend 20 times as much as the aluminum rod or 60 times as
much as the steel rod (compare 1/2 a million to 10 and 30 million). If the polymer is glass
fiber filled it may have a much higher modulus, perhaps in th 3-5 million range.

SO ---- yep that polymer frame is going to flex a lot. Not break, but definitley flex a whole
lot. I am not any kind of a fan of Glocks, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems they
are generally reliable and durable other than the .40 S&W kaboom thing.

Bill

RobS
02-15-2010, 12:12 AM
I personally own a XD 45 auto and have shot a XD 40 S&W and like them both although they are picky regarding shooting lead SWC. The CZ is a bit more friendly regarding the cast bullet feeding and if you like the double action then that is the way you will probably lean. Both are good guns, but the Springfield will give you more bang for your buck as accessories are simply easier to find and many times less expensive.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2010, 08:36 AM
The 40 does just fine with good ammo. Anyone that says differnt is blowing wind. It is very close in power to a 45 acp. It tends to recoil a bit sharper but if that doesnt bother you its a fine self defense caliber. Out of the two guns id take the cz hands down. Ive shot a number of them and ive yet to see one that wasnt a 100 percent reliable and i sure couldnt say the same about the xd platform. Ive seen good ones but ive also seen a couple that were total pieces of ***

ebg3
02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Buddy of mine has an XDM in .40 and it is a nice pistol. I have not shot it much but it seems to be a good choice. I had a witness in .40 and it too was a nice gun, heavy but nice. For defense, I'd choose the XDM because of weight and it has no external hammer. The bore is a little higher on the XDM but shouldn't be a problem. When loaded properly, the .40 is a bad a** round. Straight out of the Hodgdon loading manual, a 135gr JHP loaded with 12 gr of Longshot and a 1.125" OAL shows 1480 fps out of a 4" barrel and produces 32,400psi. This load out of my Glock 22 runs 1425-1450 fps and the small pistol primers show no signs of excessive pressure. That is a stout load out of a poly pistol, but shows that the .40 is capable of impressive power.
EG

mpmarty
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Yup that 135gr Nosler HP is a nice bullet. And out of a 10mm it will easily do around 1600fps

yondering
02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
The barrels of the .40 CZ's are throated a little more generously, making them more flexible for cast bullet use. Very well made guns, and better ergonomics than the XDM as well.

Bret4207
02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
CZ, fits my hand like a Hi Power. No flies on the 40 S+W for defense IMP either. We'rte not shooting charging Cape Buffalo here...

ScottJ
02-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I've had a CZ 75B 9MM since November. I've only held (not fired) a XD .45 in the gun store.

My other 9MM is a SW9VE.

If I could only have one of your two choices I'd go with the CZ because it'll go cocked and locked.

But I celebrate diversity. My handgun collection numbers 10 and counting in calibers .22, .380, 9MM, .357 (counts as .38 too), .45 ACP and .44 mag.