PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Lone Wolf in Glock First Results

zardoz
02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Hello to all:

My Lone Wolf barrel came in Friday, and was itching bad to try it out. Lots of stories on another forum, related to Glocks about how they gave troubles. Well, I am happy to report, I experienced none of this trouble in my limited testing so far.

A quick synopsis here.

1. Fired 10 rounds of factory Remington ammo with 180 grain TC j-bullets out of the Glock barrel. Measured the largest part of the bulge,and it was right at .430"

2. Full length sized the brass with a Lee FCD, with internals removed, and this reduced the major diameter to 0.423"

3. Later, I received a Redding G-Rx die to push through again. Not much difference, but a full 1/1000 inch down consistently to 0.422" (BTW, I think I guessed the reason for the moniker on the die. "G-Rx" or prescription for "Glocked brass". Clever.
This tool is for 40 S&W per the ad, but can be used for 10mm as well.

4. Yesterday, fired 10 rounds of factory Remington ammo with the Lone Wolf barrel. No feed problems at all so far, but was curious as the bulge from that. It measured 0.425" consistently, up from the factory diameter of 0.419" to 0.420".

5. When comparing loaded factory round fit between the barrels, the Glock was very much looser with a round only inserted halfway in. The Lone Wolf very much tighter. I will get around to putting gage pins in these chambers at some point to satisfy my curiosity.

6. Reloaded 10 rounds of the fired and full length resized brass, with 13.2 grains AA#7, a 135 grain Nosler JHP. Interestingly enough, after a regular resize with Lee tools, the previous bulge area came down to 0.420". I cannot explain why that happened, but probably some strange metal flow dynamic.

7. All 10 rounds chambered, and fired very nicely without a hitch in the Lone Wolf barrel. In fact, I got far better accuracy with this set-up, than I got with the factory ammo through the Glock barrel. Alas, no chrono numbers. I had it set-up, but heavy overcast day, and not one reading. According to some other sources though, that loading from #6 should exceed 1400 ft/s. Very snappy, but not "unmanagable" in any sense of the word. I had excellent shot recovery. That load was the maximum I wanted to attempt in de-Glocked brass anyway, after looking at lower pressure powder loadings for 135 grain J-bullets.

8. Lastly, I measured the brass diameter again, and once again, from the Lone Wolf barrel, it was 0.425".

Here is a photo of the chamber end of the barrels for comparison. Note the feed ramp differences. Glock is the black one of course.

http://myfiero.com/uploads/20408_.jpg

This Lone Wolf ramp looks a bit different than one I saw posted on the other forum. I am thinking they improved the design based on that, because a Lone Wolf factory rep had been involved in the post. The older design looked to have tapered side feeds into the chamber.

At any rate, extremely pleased with how all this shook out in the end.

Next up in the experiments, Cast Boolits in the Lone Wolf. A Lee 175 grain TC at reduced loading.

softpoint
02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I've had a G20 for years. I put a KKM barrel in mine. Aside from my revolvers, it's the best, and most dependable pistol I own. And I have a couple of nice 1911's. The 1911's I have are slightly more accurate, but both of them have had a lot of work done and dollars spent on them. The Glock still wins as far as reliability, though. As the saying goes, you show your nice custom 1911's to your friends, You show your Glock to your enemies.
I think the aftermarket barrel is an especially good investment in the 10mm. It helps get lots more out of the brass, in my gun, anyway, and 10mm brass is not easy to come by once fired, and is kinda expensive, new.
As far as accuracy, there wasn't much difference in my gun, the factory barrel, although having a much looser chamber was about as accurate as the KKM I have.