PDA

View Full Version : Lead poisoning

Hickory
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I found this link, might be worth reading.

I thought it was worth reading.:idea:

http://health.yahoo.com/emergency-poison/lead-poisoning-topic-overview/healthwise--hw119900.html

whisler
02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
The part about houses built before 1978 having the likelihood of lead paint is malarkey (to be polite). The law was changed in 1978 to reduce the allowable amount of lead (usually as lead drier) to .oo6%. At that time the amount of lead drier in use in oil based paint was on the order of 0.5% and the use of lead pigments for home use had been abandoned long before. I worked in the paint industry for 35+ years and my Tech. director, who had entered the paint industry just after the big war, said that he had never worked for a company that sold lead based paint for home use. Lead white pigment use for architectural paint was abandoned with the advent of Titanium dioxide pigment which was cheaper and non-toxic. I believe this took place in the 1940's but may have been earlier. Houses built after 1960 are highly unlikely to have lead pigmented paint in them, in my opinion.

JKH
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
whisler,

Tis true, I work in housing rehab and am a EPA licensed lead paint risk assessor, the greatest amount of lead based paint we find in housing stock are those constructed between the 1940's and early 1960's. Occasionally a post 78 house will show lead from either salvaged components or from old paint some geezer had been hoarding for the past half century and sometimes marine grade varnish on natural finish components.
A good many of pre-1900 houses show little to no lead.

Having said that, there is still a significant amount if it out there, just keep the painted surfaces maintained and intact and dust cleaned up and it's safe.

The cutoof level for what is "lead based paint" is .5% by volume or 1.0 micrograms per centimeter squared, these leves were set by HUD and the EPA.

Jeff

edsmith
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I do know that number of people have died from lead poisoning,dillinger,bonnie & clyde,ect. :)