PDA

View Full Version : Lyman handles.

Possum
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Someone enlighten me!

Midway has Lyman handles for 27.99 + shipping. Why would Ebayers pay 35+ for a set + shipping? Just wondering if I am missing something about the EBAY lyman handles. Are old ones better for some reason?

Also, just picked up a 429421 double cavity mold. Anyone know what size handles? Large or small?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bent Ramrod
06-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Possum,

Auctions bring out the impulse buyer principle in people. Also a lot of people really don't shop for bargains. I find them incredibly profligate, and no doubt they think I'm a tightwad. Each to his own.

The Large handles are correct for Lyman dual cavity molds (and a few very large calibered single cavities).

LET-CA
06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I've noticed that too. I was able to work it to my advantage though. Someone was selling an oddball Lyman mold with handles. Everyone seemed to think only of the mould. I only wanted the handles and was able to pick up the mould with handles for $13. Now I'll sell the mold and get my money back. There's some good deals out there if you're willing to spend the time to check every day. I'm delighted when I see the numbers of people who won't buy from eBay; makes it easier for me. I've never had a bad experience with almost 100 transactions.

kodiak1
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
possum ebay handles have to be better if they are paying that much for them. I know how you feel I been paying $28.00 a set for the new heavy ones. I am starting to get a guilt complex and I feel my fingers wanting to type ebay into my web browser and BID BID BID.
Now that that's passed I feel better Ken.

floodgate
06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=LET-CA]I've noticed that too. I was able to work it to my advantage though. Someone was selling an oddball Lyman mold with handles. Everyone seemed to think only of the mould. I only wanted the handles and was able to pick up the mould with handles for $13. Now I'll sell the mold and get my money back. There's some good deals out there if you're willing to spend the time to check every day. I'm delighted when I see the numbers of people who won't buy from eBay; makes it easier for

LET-CA:

So, what was that odd-ball Lyman mould? I'm a sucker for them, y'know. And I've got at least a dozen handles already.

floodgate

Possum
06-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Now I need to find one of those oddball moulds with handles!

Four Fingers of Death
06-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Veeery interesting! I gonna have to learn to drive this EBay.

floodgate
06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Veeery interesting! I gonna have to learn to drive this EBay.

NO, Mick, NO!!! That way lies despair and financial ruin (plus shipping to OZ)! DON'T get sucked into eBay or you'll NEVER surface again. Beleeve me, I know!

floodgate

cherok9878
06-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Possum, check out Midsouth shoters supply, lyman, large 2 and 4 cavity handles are $24.43. look at a few other things and get the low shiping rate. 1-800-272-3000

Four Fingers of Death
06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
NO, Mick, NO!!! That way lies despair and financial ruin (plus shipping to OZ)! DON'T get sucked into eBay or you'll NEVER surface again. Beleeve me, I know!

floodgate

I'm having enough trouble keeping up with things given the bad influence that you guys are on me, especially with lever and ex-mil rifles. I'm gonna die gun and related equipment rich and cash poor!

:-)

waksupi
06-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm having enough trouble keeping up with things given the bad influence that you guys are on me, especially with lever and ex-mil rifles. I'm gonna die gun and related equipment rich and cash poor!

:-)

Don't forget, people in Australia also sell on Ebay. So thar ya go, you can spend lotsa money on molds!

montana_charlie
06-15-2006, 09:18 PM
4fingermick,
Here you go...these are in Australia.

A search for 'bullet mould'...
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com.au%2Fw s%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=bullet+mould&category0=

A search for 'Lyman'...
http://sportsgoods.search.ebay.com.au/Lyman_Hunting_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfso pZ1QQsacatZ7301
CM

Crash_Corrigan
06-16-2006, 03:36 AM
I work it like this. I decide what the item is worth to me. I set a max figure over which I will not bid. I then make a note on the calendar and if I have enough interest I will sit on the auction for the last 10 minutes. If the item is still below my max bid price and I still want it bad enough I will only bid my max price one time within the last minute of bidding. This is to prevent me from getting sniped by a bushwacker. I become the hunter instead of the hunted. I have a scored a few good deals this way. However, if you get caught up in the fever LOOK OUT! It can get addictive. I picked up a RCBS .45 2 banger with good handles for a 205 gr Semi-Wadcutter for less than $25 including shipping two months ago. I works great and I am totally satisfied with the deal. However I spent probably 20 hours over two months getting it...........so WHERE IS THE BARGAIN? I haunted this forum for a 1/2 hour or so after getting home from work @ midnight and I found a 4 banger Lyman 358-429 that makes a 170 grain semi wadcutter for $74. Again I am happy and I would rather be here than on E Bay.
Crash[smilie=1:

montana_charlie
06-16-2006, 05:42 PM
I then make a note on the calendar and if I have enough interest I will sit on the auction for the last 10 minutes. If the item is still below my max bid price and I still want it bad enough I will only bid my max price one time within the last minute of bidding.
That is the same strategy I use. Why spend three days encouraging people (who may, or may not, have an understanding of the actual value) to hike up the price in a 'climbing competition' with other bidders?

I do the same thing at auctions where you actually raise your hand, or nod your head to place a bid on that JD tractor...or sorrel gelding...which has caught your eye.
CM

fatnhappy
06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
It's called sniping. Go to atom time, download their clock sychronization software and bid in the last 10 seconds or so.

Best way to win IMHO.