PDA

View Full Version : Is a stainless steel bbl less prone to lead from shooting cast?

abob
02-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone .... just ordered a new bbl. for a re-barrel project which I have another thread on, and I decided to try the stainless steel option instead of chrome moly. Just occurred to me -- and just running this by all of you that shoot cast.

I wonder if stainless steel is less prone to leading from shooting cast? After all, you can't solder stainless steel. Any one here shoot cast in a ss barrel and what do you find compared to a regular bbl? -- all other things being equal. I know two barrels always each have their own characteristics, but in general I wonder if ss would have an advantage on leading /accuracy with cast. In my larger bores I mainly shoot paper patch, but just like to know if one would have more options.

Thanks for all opinions, comments --- Bob.

Buckshot
02-14-2010, 03:34 AM
............abob, I do not own any firearms with stainless barrels, but I doubt stainless steel (of which there are several suitable types for gun barrels) has any real advantage over regular carbon steel. Since I have no personal experience I only say this because I've never read anything in print to say stainless is less apt to lead. Lots of folks have rifles dedicated to extreme cast boolit accuracy and I'd hazard to say that the bulk are probably carbon steel.

...............Buckshot

sagacious
02-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Bob,
No question about it-- stainless barrels will definitely lead-up if the potential for leading is there. Leading in a firearm is largely mechanically bound to the steel, unlike the chemical bond formed during soldering.

Best of luck with your new barrel and project! :drinks:

303Guy
02-14-2010, 04:43 AM
... regular carbon steel.They use regular carbon steel for gun barrels? Would that be 45-70 type rifle barrels? (I have two - maybe three - early Lee Enfields with carbon steel barrels and a 22LR with a 4140 steel barrel).

WHITETAIL
02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I see no dif. in the leading of a barrel,:!:
be it carbon or stainless.
I have both and treat them the same.
It is more important you pay attention to the size of the boolet.
And the hardness of the lead.:cbpour:

softpoint
02-14-2010, 10:27 AM
The quality of the barrel would probably have more to do with that than the material. Stainless is more prone to tool marks, so if that was taken into consideration, stainless might lead easier.However, I have 2 .358 Winchesters with Shilen stainless barrels and I have zero leading with any load I've put in them., certainly something I can't say for some of the factory barreled rifles I have. So, probably, no difference.:lovebooli

abob
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Further thought ----Maybe leading may not stick as well in the rifling of a good quality ss bbl.--- like water beading up on surface of some things. So cleaning the bbl from leading might be a little easier than regular bbl?

Bob.

sagacious
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Further thought ----Maybe leading may not stick as well in the rifling of a good quality ss bbl.--- like water beading up on surface of some things. So cleaning the bbl from leading might be a little easier than regular bbl?

Bob.
The leading gets ironed-on pretty good. It can stick to the powder/carbon fouling. The carbon fouling doesn't care whether it sticks to chromoly or stainless steel. If you get a stainless barrel leaded-up bad, it's as much a chore to clean as chromoly.

The solution is to avoid the leading in the first place. The competent and careful handloader has it well within his capability to assemble ammunition that does not lead the firearm, or does so to a minor or 'acceptable' degree.

If you get leading in your new barrel, it's a simple matter of finding the fix that eliminates/reduces the problem. The folks here can help with that.

I almost never get any leading at all in my guns. The barrels are shiny clean. However, when I do, it can be horrendous. At that point I have to step-back and figure out what the problem is-- because the leading will be caused by 'something' that I can address and correct. It's just basic problem-solving, no magic to it, and no magic way to avoid it.

Hope this helps, good luck! :drinks:

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
seems to me through the years if anything the stainless barrels have been a bit rougher

HeavyMetal
02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Honestly the only Stainless Steel barrels I have long term history with are the Bar Sto's in my 1911's.

These barrels are "real" stainless steel ( 300 series) not the 400 series S&W are made out of!

The difference in internal finish is incredible and after running a stock Colt ( series 70) and my Bar Sto over a chrony with the same load the Bar Sto's always pick up about 30 FPS.

This is not a reason to replace the barrel in your series 70 gun but does lead you to believe that you do get what you pay for. By the way I've never had a case of leading in either of my Bar Sto barrels.

So I guess it will depend on who makes your barrel and the quality of finish he puts into it.

I would think this applies to any barrel maker.

Changeling
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
seems to me through the years if anything the stainless barrels have been a bit rougher

I would have thought a stainless barrel would be less prone to fouling before I bought a used 45 SS Ruger.
You have no idea just how badly a barrel can be fouled ! I've seen some bad rifle barrels fouled from new people to the sport but trust me when I say, it can be worse, a hell of a lot worse.
The fouling from lead and copper will just layer itself till I really don't know what to say!!!!!!!

Buckshot
02-15-2010, 03:39 AM
They use regular carbon steel for gun barrels? Would that be 45-70 type rifle barrels? (I have two - maybe three - early Lee Enfields with carbon steel barrels and a 22LR with a 4140 steel barrel).

............Sorry, when I said regular carbon steel I simply meant NOT stainless :-) Some lower pressure rifle barrels are made of 1137 and 1144 and quite a few 22's and some schuetzen barrels were made of leaded low carbon like 12L14 because they give such a fine finish.

..............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
stainless is harder to machine so getting a stainless barrel mirror smooth isnt easy. A good stainless barrel is wonderful but alot of the factory production stainless barrels can be on the rough side compared to a carbon steel barrel.
I would have thought a stainless barrel would be less prone to fouling before I bought a used 45 SS Ruger.
You have no idea just how badly a barrel can be fouled ! I've seen some bad rifle barrels fouled from new people to the sport but trust me when I say, it can be worse, a hell of a lot worse.
The fouling from lead and copper will just layer itself till I really don't know what to say!!!!!!!

jlchucker
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Not that I've been able to tell, but I've only owned one stainless-barrelled rifle, and it's gone now. I prefer non-stainless rifles. There's an abundance of handguns out there these days--revolvers and semi's--that are stainless. The pistol crowd undoubtedly includes lots of cast boolit shooters, but not much has been written that I've seen about this leading issue from them. I'd be interested in seeing some opinions because my two seldom-used Smiths are stainless.

Willbird
02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
stainless is harder to machine so getting a stainless barrel mirror smooth isnt easy. A good stainless barrel is wonderful but alot of the factory production stainless barrels can be on the rough side compared to a carbon steel barrel.

IMHO 416r cuts nicer than 4140 in my experience fitting and chambering barrels.

Bill

Houndog
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
What Willbird said +1!!!!
You can get a poorly machined barrel in either type steel. My experience matches Willbird's. 416R stainless machines much like leaded 4140. I chamber a fair number of barrels each year and have absolutely zero problems getting good chamber and crown finishes on stainless barrels. Contrary to what many think, stainless barrels are softer than 4140 or4150 tubes and are more susceptable to cleaning rod damage. The advantage of stainless barrels is it won't flame cut as readily with high pressure or high nitro content loads and resists corrosion better. In a cast boolet rifle I doubt stainless would offer much advantage other than corrosion resistance and maybe a smoother bore finish. In the relitively low pressure we shoot lead boolets, Stainless MAY be at a disadvantage because of it's hardness..