PDA

View Full Version : Custom 35 rem boolit

45r
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Here's a picture of my Mtn Mold boolit that shoots well in my Marlin 35 rem with a micro-groove barrel.

Glen
02-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Good lookin' bullet!

35remington
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Details please!

45r
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
It is a 215 grain secant bore-rider with a 72 percent metplat.Bore rider is .140 long and .354 wide and lightly engraves.If you look close on enlarge you can barely see the land impressions on the front of the bore rider going almost all the way to the driving band.I firelapped the barrel.The fit is snug and there is no leading at all.I like using air-cooled WW for expansion on deer and Vitt-133 since it burns so clean and leaves very little ash or fouling.Using 30 grains V-133 does 1780 fps and that made nice big holes through deer with little recoil and clover leaf groups at 65 yards like the target shows.I sought to combine the rcbs and Ranch dog design with lots of small bands and grooves like a loverin.It works well with the 30 grains V-133 load.I haven't tried a harder alloy or heat treating yet.I haven't tried it at 100 yards and beyond yet but most of my shots are around 65 yards so that is what I set my nikon monarch 1x4 at.I really like the marlin 35rem,it was made in 77 and is in perfect shape with excellent wood to metal fit.I like MG barrels more than I thought I would.I can see the myth about them is just that.I was skeptical at first myself.

Nrut
02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
45r,
Nice looking boolit.. What diameter do you size it to for your Marlin?

gon2shoot
02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I like it, doesn't sound like you need to change much.

Rodfac
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Great load and bullet..I'm in the process of acquiring a .35 Rem, Marlin 336 as well, to go along with a Remington .35 Whelen I've had for 20 yrs. That bullet looks like just the ticket. What did you size it to, lube, and did they keep a copy of your specs at Mountain Molds. How's it feed through the Marlin? I'd like to order the same one. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!!! Thanks Rodfac

45r
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Since you want to use it in your whelen also,I'd leave the borerider at .351 and put length at .120 with a 68 percent metplat.I'd go with 3 body bands with a 55 degree groove angle.Drive band at .050 and nose length at .460 and step shank,215 grains and .359 diameter.I size my boolit at .359 with gas check on in a lee push through and lube at .360 in a lubrisizer.The boolit is long so don't want it to size crooked thus using the lee first,good for heat treating if wanted then lube.I drew this design up at his site and it looks just like mine pretty much.You could use lino for a marlin with micro-groove to get the borerider fatter.The bore on my Marlin is around .353 diameter.With the smaller multiple bands and grooves I put my mold up snug to the spout on my rcbs pot to get good fillout.Some don't like this method I do and the picture shows it works.I tilt slightly to let me know when the alloy hits the top and leave a sprue.Dribbling might work with a little more tin like 5 percent.Dan said he had a fillout issue when he tried it with a ladle,hes a dribbler I assume and more little grooves are harder to cut.I have no problem since I pressure feed with WW and 3 percent tin.I think if you draw this up on his site you'll like it.I lost the copy of my design.It feeds very smooth being a secant.

Rodfac
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Many thanks...I've copied your answer to a work doc. for use in making one up. Rodfac

Bass Ackward
02-16-2010, 09:55 PM
In my Whelen(s) I can shoot any darn thing from 200 grains on up and hold an inch (or better) at 100 yards. I shoot semi wadcutters, olgivals with wide and narrow bands. Bore ride or non bore rides. Factory or custom designs. Pistol bullets are a might tougher unless you accept 1 1/2", then it is good to go down to 140 grainers.

The Remmy has a preference for 220s and less.

The 35 bore just follows the gozinta rule. If it zozinta it, it shoots well. If it works for me. then it has to makes anyone seem like a master designer.

45r
02-17-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm into 45's but I do like this 35 rem.I'm thinking about cutting the RC's barrel and tube to 16 and a half inchs to make it look like a Marauder or Trapper.I want to put a target crown on it,looks like it could use one,might as well shorten it up also.I can't complain about half inch groups with a micro-groove barrel but I think it can do even better.I think I'd like to get a GBL if I like the short barrel when it comes back from the gunsmith.

Captain*Kirk
02-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Sounds like the ticket! I'm looking for a cast boolit for my 336 as well. Very nice grouping..I'm impressed!

NHlever
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I think the story behind microgroove rifling, and cast boolits is a legend. Behind every legend there is some truth, and the truth behind microgroove rifling, and cast boolits is that there were / are two different versions of microgroove that I'm aware of. Some of the early microgroove rifling was very shallow indeed, and had 16 grooves. I had a 30-30 336A that had a .305 bore, and .308 groove diameters. None of the bore riders would work, and with .00075 deep rifling the boolits had to be both long, and hard to shoot well at all. In fact even really short J word bullet didn't shoot well. Later, and current microgroove rifling has 12 grooves, and more conventional dimensions, and shoots most cast boolits quite well. Legends persist though, look at the .257 Roberts. The legend is that they don't shoot because they are chambered in short action rifles, and have long throats. Now, they are chambered in long actions with short throats, but the legend persists....... I think only Kimber has that one right.

stocker
02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
I sent a friend some of the 358318's with the flat point adapter used as supplied by NOE. I wanted him to see if they would cycle O.K. through his Marlin (older standard groove model). He reported back that they did indeed cycle and shot quite well. I think these boolits weighed close to 240 lubed and checked but don't have the exact weight at hand right now. These might be a great boolit for anyone who is able to hunt hogs or black bear.

PatMarlin
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Great looking boolit. Maybe a good GB candidate?

DaveD
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
+ 1count me in.

Great looking boolit. Maybe a good GB candidate?