PDA

View Full Version : Polishing?

Hitman
02-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Whats you alls secret recipe for polishing brass? I have found it interesting at how many different things and process people use and just would like to know what is the most common ways and WHY you do what you do. there has to be a reason you think that polishing with a '78 chevy tire iron mixxed with turtle wax is better than an edsel rear seat spring mixxed with some simple green!

GP100man
02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Just plain ole walnut shell for me !!

Used to put a shot of mineral spirits in but don`t do that , just lay em on a towel & roll a bit to remove dust.

It lasts longer the less additives I put in.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0047.jpg

DLCTEX
02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Corn cob media with NuFinish car polish added. I add a little mineral spirits if it gets dusty.

jcwit
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Corn cob 20/40 grit with any liquid cleaner auto polish added. Maybe 2 to 3 teaspoons per tumbler ful, most folks use way to much polish. Reason for 20/40 grit is it does not get caught in primer pockets or flash holes. Very reasonable as far as cost also, less than $ .50 per lb. sat at your door step.

Calamity Jake
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Medium grit walnut hulls with a little mineral spirits mixed in to control dust.

mike in co
02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
there is lots of info on thie site..so a search......

mike in co
02-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Just plain ole walnut shell for me !!

Used to put a shot of mineral spirits in but don`t do that , just lay em on a towel & roll a bit to remove dust.

It lasts longer the less additives I put in.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0047.jpg

the 1/8 corn cob listed in the post is way to FRIGGING BIG!

14/20 OR SO IS IDEAL

Hardcast416taylor
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
GP100man must be an organic case polisher. Myself I use corncob with Nufinish car polish. For dust I toss in several pieces of fabric softner sheet, from the frau`s laundry room supplies, when cleaning a batch of brass.Robert

Echo
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Presently using ground corn cobs w/<1 tsp of jewelers rouge and a dollop of mineral spirits. When I put in new corn cobs, I add the rouge and tumble for 20-30 minutes to distribute, then add the mineral spirits and tumble for another 20-30 to distribute - and I'm ready to go.

bigboredad
02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
nufinish is the secret

uncleskippy
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Does nufinish really get brass clean? I have been using some stuff I got off Midway and I am not the happiest with it. I do use the used dryer sheets. It really helps keep the media clean the longest and collects the used powder.

mike in co
03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Does nufinish really get brass clean? I have been using some stuff I got off Midway and I am not the happiest with it. I do use the used dryer sheets. It really helps keep the media clean the longest and collects the used powder.

ok, so why would someone use a product that did not work ? was too expensive? was too slow ?

i sell brass for a living....i use nu finish car polish for my brass polish.
with fine corn cob.

how much brass do i do ?? i just burned up another dillon motor..and its on a one hour timer....

lots...and lots

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Jim
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I've tried all kinds of stuff. I just let the tumbler run all night and they come out looking like factory.

mike in co
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I've tried all kinds of stuff. I just let the tumbler run all night and they come out looking like factory.

OK JIM, WHAT KIND OF TUMBLER ?

i run mine for ONE HOUR with corn cob and nu finish car polish..and they are done...bright and polished(exception is outdoor 223 brass...2 hours)......

so unless its a rotary unit...your wasting time and electricity...

mike in co

DLCTEX
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Another plus to the car polish is a coating of wax on the brass to retard tarnish.

AZ-Stew
03-03-2010, 09:02 PM
i run mine for ONE HOUR with corn cob and nu finish car polish..and they are done...bright and polished(exception is outdoor 223 brass...2 hours)......
so unless its a rotary unit...your wasting time and electricity...
mike in co

Mike,

What's your ratio of brass to media? I think this is the key to cleaning speed. I usually do 100 rounds at a time in a small-medium sized vibratory unit. If there's way more media than brass, cleaning time is L-O-N-G! I'm curious as to what you do that will remove all the carbon from the neck/shoulder in an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm truly curious about your technique.

Regards,

Stew

hammerhead357
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I use either ground corn cobs or ground walnut shells but I add nufinish to either of them. I use a rotory tumbler and let it run all night. If I use it to remove boolit lube from loaded rounds I give it a shot of mineral spirts to help remove the lube....Wes

mike in co
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Mike,

What's your ratio of brass to media? I think this is the key to cleaning speed. I usually do 100 rounds at a time in a small-medium sized vibratory unit. If there's way more media than brass, cleaning time is L-O-N-G! I'm curious as to what you do that will remove all the carbon from the neck/shoulder in an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm truly curious about your technique.

Regards,

Stew

dillon large vibrating tumbler
5 lbs of 14/20 ground corn cob
aprox 10 to 14 lbs of brass
with new corn cob you can skip the nufinish, but after that start with a cap full and typically add a cap to each load.

i do smaller batches ....do what i have.....so maybe as little as 2 lbs.......but i'm a happy camper at the end of an hour...with the exception of outdoor winter 223....two hours.

the machines are designed to work close to full. wiht a low case count you will not get the turnover/action...so it may take forever...lol

mike in co

AZ-Stew
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
OK. Looks like 2-3:1 on brass weight vs. media weight. I'll try it.

Thanks,

Stew

mike in co
03-03-2010, 11:45 PM
OK. Looks like 2-3:1 on brass weight vs. media weight. I'll try it.

Thanks,

Stew

but it needs to fill up the tumbler.......volume is what makes them work.

even my small loads are probably over 50% full......

buck1
03-04-2010, 12:45 AM
used dryer sheets and or paper towels Go in every batch. It keeps the media clean for a very long time.

Yukoner
03-04-2010, 12:53 AM
I have used NUFINISH with Lizard Litter ground walnut hulls for about six years now. Nothing even comes close to it!

Ted

mike in co
03-04-2010, 02:09 AM
I have used NUFINISH with Lizard Litter ground walnut hulls for about six years now. Nothing even comes close to it!

Ted
thats cause there is nothing close to you....lol