PDA

View Full Version : Falling off the slippery slope

Richard B
02-13-2010, 09:23 AM
When I decided to have some fun with cast bullets the plan was to buy a rifle suitable for cast, which I did, a Savage Model 23 in .32-20. I was able to buy some 115 grn cast bullets for it and that was about as far as I planned to go. One rifle and buy my cast. Then I started to slide down the slope.

I found an old Winchester factory mould in .32-20 for $10.00 from a friend sight unseen, so I bought it thinking that if nothing else it would be an interesting paper weight. It turned out to be a little rusty but the bullet cavity was perfect so now I have a mould.

Next I ran into a Marlin 336 in .32 special at a good price and made the mistake of reading Ken Waters extolling the virtues of this caliber as a cast bullet gun. Now I am in big trouble with two cast bullet guns.

So I started to read the stickies and posts on this forum, falling faster down the slope with each read. Then a buddy told me that he had a bunch of casting equipment that he was no longer using and I could have it if I would cast bullets for him. That ended my last change to save my self and I have fallen over the edge into the canyon of cast bullets. Fortunately there is so much knowledge on this board that I will land safely.

rb

badgeredd
02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Now you've gone and done it!!! You are rapidly nearing the addictive powers of the cast boolit. There is little help out there and intervention is unlikely. WELCOME!!!!! [smilie=l:

Edd

collyer
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I know the feeling. My wife want to know what is so interesting on this site.

Echo
02-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Welcome, rb. You have found the best site on the web. I'm a fair noob to the forum, but have been reloading and casting for ages - yet I have learned a TON since finding this place. No question, it is an addiction. See you at the bottom...

jlchucker
02-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I've got to echo the comment made by Echo. This indeed is the best site on the web when it comes to casting. Welcome to the club.

Guesser
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
We are all still falling, no one knows where the bottom is.
Welcome to the addiction!!
Hello, my name is Russ and I'm a caster.

Trey45
02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Start casting your own boolits they said, you'll save a bunch of money they said......

HA!

These guys here are great, lots of advice on how to spend the money you save by casting your own. Which molds to buy, (all of them, btw) which presses to buy ( once again, all of them) how to save money and make your own lube, and just when you think you've got a handle on your spending, you discover the for sale section of the forum, and you discover the group buy section, now you're in trouble.

missionary5155
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Good morning
I guess I had it GOOD.. I have been around casting since I was 4 so it just seemd a natural thing to save money to buy other stuff that was looking for a good home.
But NEVER forget.. all the equipment is a good investment. You can always sell it. But more important you are no longer a slave to the ammo factories.
The knowledge and experience will serve you well through life as you delve into old calibers no factory loads ammo for. What a joy to crank up a 45-60, or 41 Colt, or a 38-56, or 44-77 and discover they still will bring home meat.

dragonrider
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Welcom Richard, you have found a home here for you addiction.

R.C. Hatter
02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
[smilie=s: It's got you now, there is NO escape ! You are doomed to the fate of all casters, more moulds to try, untold parameters of experimentation in the quest for the perfect boolit and load. It just never ends....welcome to the forum. Youl'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks to provide what help/advise you may need.

Ed Barrett
02-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Wait until you get a good buy a mold or someone gives you some brass and you go buy a rifle and dies so you can use them.

Wayne Smith
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the addiction, Richard! You are a welcome addition as well, given your writing ability.

GP100man
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I shoot to reload, I reload so I can use MY boolits!!!!!!

You ain`t alone brother!!!

NUFF SAID!!!

dukenukum
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
cast your boolits and soon your journey will be complete feel the power of the silver stream let the molten metal be your guide, while others are getting their guns re barreled you will still be shooting.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome and yes it is way to late to save yourself, so kick back and enjoy the ride.[smilie=w: :cbpour: :redneck:

runfiverun
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
actually there is a 12 step program.
unfortunatly 11 of them are down.
the last one is up to the casting bench.

largom
02-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forum Richard. Don't worry about that "slippery slope", you will encounter many friends on your way down.

Larry

lead Foot
02-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Sorry but there is nothing like the Betty Ford clinic for your addiction with cast boolits;)

lead foot;

Mk42gunner
02-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Wait until you get a good buy a mold or someone gives you some brass and you go buy a rifle and dies so you can use them.

I am fighting this one right now; I bought a set of Hornady .41 Magnum dies at a gun show for $15.00, then a 4 cavity H&G #256 for $40.00 at an antique tractor swapmeet.

I know the gun will come in time....

Robert

Buckshot
02-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Welcome to the forum Richard. Don't worry about that "slippery slope", you will encounter many friends on your way down. Larry

...........So very true :-) And no matter how out of control you feel you may be, there will ALWAYS be several who are worse and they'll be constantly trying to 'help' you along.

If I might add since you have that Marlin, did you know they made them in 35 Rem and what a fantastic cast cartridge that is? Just do a search on 35 Rem and you'll see. Since you'll have those leverguns, the M92 clones are great fun in pistol cartridges so you might as well be thinking about one in 45 Colt. Besides, once you have the dies and stuff for that, it's a natural you're gonna need a revolver too. :lovebooli

...............Buckshot