PDA

View Full Version : Bair C-type press ?

maxvauderk
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
There is a Bair C-type press for sale on e-bay. I like old stuff, I use a old rcbs jr, but I want another, is the Bair worth it? I want a C-type just for seating, and sizing using lee sizing dies. Oh the current price is $ 30.00.

Reverend Recoil
02-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes, if it uses universal shell holders.

jhrosier
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
If you can get it for that price, you should take it.
I started out with Bair equipment and never had a problem.
I eventually wore out the ram of the press with many years of use without cleaning or lube.
I replaced the ram with one from RCBS and used it for several more years before passing it on to a new handloader.
It is still in use after forty some years, seating bullets for a highpower shooter.

Jack

maxvauderk
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks I have a bair case trimmer I would like to trade.

Char-Gar
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
After Pacific sold out and the production was moved to the mid-west about 1960 Bair made the equipment. After a time Bair marketed the same stuff under their own name.

Safeshot
02-14-2010, 04:25 PM
maxvauderk,

Graf and Sons (on their web page) sells a NEW compound linkage single station press for $32.99 plus $4.50 for handling and insurance (they pay the shipping). It uses standard RCBS/Pacific/Lee universal shell holders. (You can also order a bunch "more stuff" for no additional cost for insurance, handling or shipping.)

The press is described on their web page as follows: -Quote-
"SMARTRELOADER PRESS OMEGA 800 SINGLE-STAGE (STEEL)

Price: $32.99
Availability: Less than 5 in stock
Item Number: VBSR0083

Product Information

This amazing reloading press features a strong steel frame, high-technologically designed and high quality components that will allow the user to reload up to the .375 H&H! Accepts standard 7/8" x 14 dies."
- end of quote - .

It is a "compound linkage" press which provides better leverage than a "simple toggle" press linkage. The press is "Made in China". I am "not connected" with Graft, I just purchase "stuff" from them. You might want to "check it out".

The e-bay link $30.00 press will cost you $48.98 - delivered - If you are the current bid holder - more if you have to bid higher to get it. It is a "simple toggle" linkage press. The Graf & Son press above will cost $37.49 - delivered.

Be sure that you KNOW what type of ram the press has. If it will not take the universal shell holders, you may have to purchase a new ram that will, or purchase rams for each shell holder size you plan to load for. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Pressman
02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370332360305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That isa a Micro Precision (3rd version) press aquired by Bear when they bought that company. They are good presses, as good as any out there.

Ken