PDA

View Full Version : PB after GC is it like cast after J-word bullets

TCLouis
06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
We always tout the "fact" that boolits after J-word is going to be an accuracy issue.

What about the material in GCs, do they cause bore issues?

Essentially the same material, just a whole lot less of it in a GC.

Dale53
06-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have never had CG's foul the bore. The bullet lubrication is probably the positive factor, here.

I shoot plain base whenever possible just to keep the labor and expense down. However, I must say that generally GC bullet's are somewhat easier to get to shoot well. That said, however, I generally have few problems with plain base as long as I keep them within their "design limits" (whatever that may be).

Dale53

Bucks Owin
06-13-2006, 08:24 PM
I like the .44 RCBS 250K PB a lot, one of my favorites. No leading worries even at 1450+ fps with good lube. I've contemplated modifying my other favorite boolit, the 310 Lee into a PB configuration*. Has anyone done that?

I agree with Dale, GCs are a bit of a hassle, mainly in making sure there is no "sprue dimple" to interfere with their snug seating...

FWIW,

Dennis

* Especially since GCs don't seem to fit "right" with my mold....

TCLouis
06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Group six-banger mold orders had a boolit much like that from a DEGC'ed 429310 RNFP GC.

Lars was gonna shave off some from my 429310 till I shot some boolits I cast from it and after looking at the SRH's group at 50 I could not imagine touching anything about that mold.

I have the other one offered in the group buy, but have yet to cast from it.

So Many NEW molds and I just look at them and admire them . . . guess I had best ry casting some boolits outa some of them!

krag35
06-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I plainbased a Lee 310. Shuz has it now, didn't work out for me, but he seems to like it. Used a drill press and I "think" a 7/16 drill bit. I just made sure that the drill was square to the drill table and drilled the gas check portion out. It came out a bit oversize, but sized down just fine.
krag35

Wayne Smith
06-14-2006, 07:00 AM
I think TC's question was if GC's fouled the bore with brass the way condom bullets do. The cleaning regime needed after shooting condoms and before shooting cast is to completely clean out all of the copper/brass from the bore.

Do GC's require the same treatment? Where's the limit, what about 'washed' bullets? How about .22's, copperclad and lead. Clean between or not?

Bass Ackward
06-14-2006, 07:19 AM
There are lubricants that you can apply to jacketed that will virtually eliminate coppering and barrel wear.

I have never seen it with a GC myself. And I have been up to vaporization levels with velocity and I guess around 65-70,000 psi.

I suppose that residue from a check is theoretically possible if a bore were real rough, but if a lubed bullet and bore are coppering from a check, I doubt that cleaning up the bore is going to make it PB "friendly" anyway.

Maybe a historian could chime in, but that was supposedly a reason that they kept check heights to the levels that they did instead of making them taller.

44man
06-14-2006, 07:27 AM
I agree with bass. I have never seen anything left behind from a gas check. Not only does the lube ahead of it prevent it but the small size and lack of any real friction helps. They are thin and soft which allows them to form to the bore easy.

versifier
06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I have never seen any evidence of copper fouling with GC's.

Bass, what is the lube you were talking about to eliminate copper fouling problems with J-bullets? Sounds like some experimenting might be in order. :coffee:

Bass Ackward
06-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I have never seen any evidence of copper fouling with GC's.

Bass, what is the lube you were talking about to eliminate copper fouling problems with J-bullets? Sounds like some experimenting might be in order. :coffee:

Versi,

Look here.

http://www.lubricationspecs.com/Whatsnew.htm

Shuz
06-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I plainbased a Lee 310. Shuz has it now, didn't work out for me, but he seems to like it. Used a drill press and I "think" a 7/16 drill bit. I just made sure that the drill was square to the drill table and drilled the gas check portion out. It came out a bit oversize, but sized down just fine.
krag35

Yep, It works very well. I also have a Lee 310 that was "scalped" to make it a non gas checked design that weighs about 268g from ww+1. This modification doesn't shoot any better, but leads a lot less, and naturally has the potential for less recoil. --Shuz