PDA

View Full Version : lyman 310

maddog2020
02-12-2010, 06:02 AM
how do you use this strange thing?

Green Frog
02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
You must install the proper die for each step of the reloading process, so I usually do a batch of cases for one step then move on to the next. First you decap, then neck size ("muzzle size") the cases. Next, fresh primers are installed and case mouths are belled slightly (especially for lead bullets.) Finally the bullets are seated and the case mouth is crimped back against the bullet (usually this is done with one die called a DA for "double acting" die.) It ain't fast, but you can literally do it on the kitchen table or even in your lap... I know, 'cause I've done it! [smilie=s: If you can't figure out the process from the preceding, think of the tongs as a little hand held version of a C-press and the dies being installed in pretty much the same way to do the same thing you would do with a single stage press. Drop me a PM if you need further explanation of even would like a copy of the original instructions. :brokenima

Froggie

scrapcan
02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
the process is not at all difficult as Green Frog mentioned. One thing you must know is what die set you have. As that the tool will not full length size cases. You use a drive in full length die for that.

The dies might have a seperate MR die (muzzle resizer die), a decap die, a re prime case holder die, an expander/flair die, and a seater die. The seater die could be a DA or id could be a non crimp seater die. On newer sets you may only have a CMR die ( muzzle sizer and decap die), a DA seating die, a recap die, an expander/flare die some sets have the neck expander that does not flair and would have been for loading jacketed bullets), and the case adapter ring.

Depending on the age of the handles they may be fixed case head or have interchangealbe case adapter insert rings. Also two sizes of handles small and large depending on caliber.

If you need more info you can ask or pm, I also would be glad to help.

You might also have

1874Sharps
02-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Madddog,

They are a little confusing when you look at the 310 tool for the first time. The one I got for 45 Colt way back in 1990 came with a boolit sizing die, too. The case sizer was just a bored out piece of round stock that does not screw into the tool, but is used by pounding a lubed case into it and then taking a dowel and knocking it out. Not as handy as a carbide sizer, but it will work. For black powder, which does not require much if any sizing of the case, it works pretty well.

Ajax
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
i just bought a new set of these. so i may be picking yalls brains.

Andy

beagle
02-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Lay your questions on us. Somebody will have the answer./beagle

kywoodwrkr
02-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Keep in mind that the rifle size handles have a little bit longer threaded boss for the dies.
This is true on the alloy frames and think on the steel as well, can't remember and I'm away from my 'inventory'.
Steel handles were often stamped with base caliber, with some steel handles having removable 'shell holders'(High $ sometimes). All alloy have the removable 'shell holders'.
I have an EXCEL spreadsheet with many of the caliber combinations on it.
E-mail me with a request for it if you'd like a copy of it.
FWIW
D.

Multigunner
02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Only problem I ever had with mine was when the decapping pin snapped off.
I made a replacement from a piece of piano wire and had no further problem with it.

totallycustom
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I really like the idea of the 310 tool, but have never used one. Does anyone use one over a press? Or use one for all their reloading needs?

ktw
02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I really like the idea of the 310 tool, but have never used one. Does anyone use one over a press? Or use one for all their reloading needs?

I've been doing all of my 32 Win Spcl with one. Not because I have to but because it's a low volume cartridge for me and I find the tool interesting. I do most of my handgun reloading on TruelineJr presses and 310 dies (everything after size and decap which I do with carbide 7/8x14 dies). I do most all of my other rifle cartridges with regular dies in a Lee Classic Turret.

I wouldn't consider the 310 tool/dies to be a superior substitute for a modern press and dies. In most all cases a regular setup would do a better job and do it faster.

The 310 tool and dies really come into their own as a portable, low volume reloading setup for someone who is traveling or doesn't have the room to set up a regular array of loading tools. Like the Lee Loaders except a bit more elegant in that it doesn't require a hammer.

-ktw

Green Frog
02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
+1 to KTW... the 310 isn't better or worse, IMHO, it is just different and gets used for different things. I like to use my .32-40 and .45-70 tong tools to load limited numbers of those cartridges, sometimes at the range for load experimentation. I also use a couple of TruLine Jr and a Red Head press with those dies, but that's another story.

Froggie

maddog2020
02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
i said the heck with it an sold it

Cherokee
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I started reloading over 50 years ago using a 310 for 30/06. Still have it but don't use it much. Got RCBS, CH and Dillon for loading now.

Ajax
02-17-2010, 03:17 PM
i got mine in yesterday and it is super easy to use, glad i got it.

Andy

Rodfac
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Went through college in the mid 60's with a 310 tool in .38 Spl / .357 Mag. Kept a bag of cast bullets (a penny a piece then), a box of primers (1/2 a penny a piece), a scale, powder trickler and the old small square can of Bullseye in my top desk drawer. The whole ensemble was in a canvas bag that I could hang out the window for inspections on Saturday mornings. Slow but satisfying, and believe me...I didn't just crank them off for the joy of the noise...I learned to "hold 'em and squeeze 'em".

I still think that the 310 tools primer seating is the best "feel" of any I've ever used. I take a 310 in .30-06 with us on vacation now that we're retired, and load a few rounds to keep one of 03's fed. The neck sizing operation on an '06 case produces 2 MOA ammunition with Lyman's 311291 GC and 15.5 gr of SR4759.

Regards, Rodfac

Green Frog
02-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Rodfac, you are obviously a True Believer. Trying to explain why we like loading with the 310 to somebody who starts on modern equipment and demands a dedicated bench for his loading duties is something they could never understand. It's kinda like trying to explain the joys of driving a '60s vintage British sports car to anyone under 40. :mrgreen:

Froggie